Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Changes to spare wheel winch causing dismay.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Juliat

Australia 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
Changes to spare wheel winch causing dismay.

Currently have a D3, with a D4 on order. As we have a board over the rear seats carrying a cargo drawer and fridge slide for an engel fridge, we have an indwelling socket and extension coming up through between the seats and the base board. As seen elsewhere on the forum.
I saw with dismay the changes to the design of the winch replacing a nut with a lump of metal with a hole in it.
Has anyone any ideas to get around this latest design coup.
My only ideas are either, to get hold of the previous model winch, or perhaps some means of welding a large bottlescrew onto a socket extension.
Any ideas gratefully received as I would like to transfer my setup straight from the D3 to the D4.
Sorry can't post a pic as the car is in Sydney and I am in the UK for another week. The idea of decanting the contents of the car to access the winch don't immediately appeal!

Aside from my query, I understood that my car was being built today, and for those interested in the changes it is an My14, or at least that is what I ordered, delivery about 3rd week in October in Sydney.

Thanks Julia

Post #114439315th Aug 2013 10:11 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Not sure about later models but my MY12 D4 has the same hex nut as the D3.
If the new one has a square centre hole I would think a drive socket would fit. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #114443116th Aug 2013 12:31 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

A socket won't fit. It's a big step backwards and really dumb by LR. However, I've had a tinker and the problem is not huge. The means of operating the new winch is via the metal bar with the hook on the end used to operate the (also crappy) scissor jack. If you remove the two plastic inside covers on the back row seats (2 x small torx screws on each, same as the D3), and provided you've lined up the hole in the winch nut (where the socket once was) you can hook the metal bar in without having to lift the seats, and so operate the winch as you would have done with a socket and ratchet. It's not great, but it is do-able as, like you, I have a cage and other stuff that means I can't easily lift the seats to lower the spare.
 PAGODA  
Post #114443916th Aug 2013 6:27 am
Juliat

Thanks for the quick response. From inspections of current vehicles looks oblong to me and I guess it would require a large socket, maybe I should go and lurk at the dealers with a handful of sockets in my pocket when I return.
I imagine its designed to fit the jack for changing the wheel, if so you would need two hands to raise and lower the spare, even if you have access to the oblong winder nut it would still make it awkward I think.

Post #114444016th Aug 2013 6:38 am
Juliat

Thanks pagoda, reply crossed in the mail.
Not sure if it will work for me I have a 400 high cargo drawer immediately alongside the extension and socket poking through the base board and in close proximity on the other side of it is the fridge.
Normally slip a socket with an elbow onto the end of the extension so that it pokes backwards through the gap. Not so difficult to move the fridge but very awkward to empty the cargo drawer of camping contents and remove the box by the side of the road.
Not that we have many punctures just that they seem to occur inconveniently.
When you use the hook to unwind the spare wheel do you have to keep it absolutely vertical once hooked on or is there a little room for manoever?

Post #114444416th Aug 2013 6:51 am
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Maybe some enterprising person will design & manufacture a suitable tool, like RLD has done with his spare wheel protector, and other have doe with jack adaptors?

In the alternative press on LR to revert to a more sensible design would be a sensible idea.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #114444516th Aug 2013 6:52 am
caverD3

Photo would help. Idea
Any idea when they made the change?
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #114444716th Aug 2013 6:55 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

Someone else put a picture on here a few weeks ago. The change seems to have been around Jan-Feb 13.

I wonder if there's anyway to feedback to LR what a Censored idea this is and get them to go back to the old bolt head.
 PAGODA  
Post #114444816th Aug 2013 7:06 am
caverD3

maybe part of an improvement to the winder that stops the cable kinking?
Anyone kinked a new one?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #114445016th Aug 2013 7:21 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Land Rover Warranty team: We are getting an awful lot of kinked spare wheel winches

LR Engineering: We can solve that; this new approach is much slower and much more awkward than the old way. It's guaranteed most will give up and call LRA to change their wheel.

LR Sales & Marketing weasel: And when their LRA cover runs out, we just sell them a new car!
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #114445416th Aug 2013 7:36 am
caverD3

Rolling with laughter

probably so. Rolling Eyes
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #114446116th Aug 2013 8:12 am
Discoed

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Fit a swing away spare wheel carrier Thumbs Up

Post #114446316th Aug 2013 8:22 am
Juliat

Spare wheel carrier would be good but it might have to wait a bit.
New car, 5x 18 wheels and a front bash plate will just about break the bank for this year.
Considering seeing if there is any old stock of spare wheel winches about.
Julia

Post #114469016th Aug 2013 8:14 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Pictures and discussion in this thread:

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic95815.html
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #114470016th Aug 2013 8:48 pm