Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Cheap Tyre Inflator?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Cheap Tyre Inflator?

OK, I've got my nice padded white jacket with the long sleves and rear mounted bonny-straps ready for this one...but for the sake of airing a question just in case it might lead to something worthwhile, here goes stupid question number...hold on, how many posts am I at, OK, stupid question 250...

The D3 has got an inbuilt compressor, receiver and inlet filter - would it be feasible to tap into that system with a quick-connector such that an air line could be attached to re-inflate tyres?

For obvious safety reasons, a manually activated ball zone valve needs to be employed to prevent the quick-connector leaking; this should switch the receiver output between suspension valves and the new air-hose preventing unscheduled suspension drops if the car attempts to raise whilst the air is being diverted elsewhere i.e. suspension valve side of circuit is closed off when the manual valve is turned to air-hose connector.

As I understand it, as long as the engine is running, the compressor will keep the receiver topped up to a specific pressure. Storage requirement is then just for the inflator hose rather than also a separate compressor or worse a compressor/receiver.

On the flip side, if you ever had a compressor failure, you could use a £20 electric tyre pump to re-pressurise the receiver and (slowly) get you back off the bump stops.

So....suicidal? Or worthy of more thought?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #15218726th Apr 2007 11:08 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I think Penguin looked into doing this but was eventually put off the idea.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #15219026th Apr 2007 11:14 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

10forcash in another thread wrote:
looked into it a while ago, the compressor is capable of the pressure but not necassarily the volume as it will already be working hard in an offroad environment, if you want to give it a go, there is a blanking plug at the front of the air receiver Wink
 The End  
Post #15219126th Apr 2007 11:15 am
stapldm

Embarassed Now why couldn't I find that when I did my prelim searches?

OK, so the receiver has an outlet; but could the connection between the receiver and the suspension control valves be modified with a zone valve? I don't fancy going into the receiver if it means that the car attempting to go up will suddenly vent into a lower pressure receiver and drop.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Post #15219526th Apr 2007 11:23 am
stapldm

OK thanks Slimer, now I can use your direct quoted text I can find it Embarassed

Penguin here wrote:
Just had a call with LR BeLux about this.
My idea to use the compression tank wont work, as the tank is not under pressure all the time, as a regular aircompressor does.

Why does this sound wrong? Surely there is no benefit in draining the receiver of already 'paid for' compressed air? I can see it possibly leaching away when parked up due to suspension leveling etc, but why drain it?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:

Post #15220226th Apr 2007 11:40 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Air receiver

The air receiver is under the LHS of the vehicle, correct?
Does anyone know whats on the opposite side? (can't pop out and have a look right now - missus relegated me to the "second car" as usual)
Is there space to fit another air receiver, and pressurise it with another compressor, alternatively just connect to the existing compressor to give twice the capacity?

Post #15220626th Apr 2007 11:55 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I may be wrong here (as I don't know much about air compressors, etc), but I beleive tapping off the suspension tank would affect the air dryer. I beleive that the suspension system normally vents through the dryer which keeps it dry I guess! If the system was intaking more air than it vents, then wouldn't the dryer become saturated and stop drying the air?

Baben, there is nothing on the other side I think, so there is space for a tank and even a compressor.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15220726th Apr 2007 11:59 am
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

I'm not going anywhere near the suspension compressor. £85 gets you a decent spec T-Max (ok, not a Viair but we can't all get away with that kind of wonga after blowing £1100 on a new road bike) and another £25 gets you a receiver you can mount in the NSR cubby (where the tow electrics are installed).
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #15221726th Apr 2007 12:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >