Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

CHECK YER TOW BARS THIS WEEKEND.... VOSA ARE ON TO IT!!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
but the only person that has posted actual facts (backed up with adequate references) is DG, until that changes I still say that this thread is alarmist.

I think you need to add redjelly and myself to that list. The actual fact for both of us, is that our towbars have too much play in them and would fail an MOT. Thumbs Up

Post #9519618th Jul 2012 4:43 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

OEM bar is Brink, not Westfalia.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #9519628th Jul 2012 4:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

B16 KJR wrote:
I think you need to add redjelly and myself to that list. The actual fact for both of us, is that our towbars have too much play in them and would fail an MOT. Thumbs Up

Sorry I disagree about that, DG has quoted facts from VOSA and has also mentioned the figures are from VOSA - that makes these figures reliable.

Your figures come from yourself and a MOT tester - they are unreliable because as far as I know (and you have not stated different) your old towbar has not been tested by VOSA. It has just been deemed unserviceable by yourself and the mot tester. If it has been tested by VOSA and this had been said, then the information would have been reliable - we all know that different mot testers can have different opinions.

You might have a different opinion but I'm sorry I do not (as yet)

Post #9519658th Jul 2012 5:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DiscoStu

England 

It's not failed an MOT. B16 said it had 2mm play, DG has found out that 3mm constitutes a MOT failiure. So according to qualified, legal opinion B16's bar was fine.
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #9519948th Jul 2012 6:00 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

Thanks for pointing that out DiscoStu Thumbs Up

That makes things even worse - the only reliable info posted so far is, as I said from DG and that shows that the failure rate is worse for other makes of car.

Until I either hear from LR or see evidence from elsewhere (with credible references to a reliable source) I don't think anyone should be too worried.

Post #9519998th Jul 2012 6:13 pm
B16 KJR

Scotland 

Quote:
OEM bar is Brink, not Westfalia.
Thumbs Up

Quote:
Well maybe as you hadn't clarified at that point that your ball movement was greater than 3mm then I guess it would be fair to say that I implied you changed it out of a concern .

As stated earlier the movement was greater than 3mm Thumbs Up

Quote:
Your figures come from yourself and a MOT tester - they are unreliable because as far as I know (and you have not stated different) your old towbar has not been tested by VOSA. It has just been deemed unserviceable by yourself and the mot tester. If it has been tested by VOSA and this had been said, then the information would have been reliable - we all know that different mot testers can have different opinions.

Woody, I don't need my towbar tested by a chap from VOSA to tell me it has more than 3mm play in it. I am a Professional Mechanical Engineer with more than 36 years experience, if I cant measure 3mm then god help us all Shocked

Character suggested in his original post that we all check our towbars for play, I did, and found the play unacceptable and in my professional opinion, dangerous, so I will be replacing it and speaking to LR about a refund.

Unfortunatley like DG, I am now going to withdraw from this discussion as some of the comments are now becoming downright silly Shocked

Character tried to give everyone a heads up, I bet he wishes he hadn't bothered Big Cry Thumbs Up

Post #9520658th Jul 2012 7:49 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Woody

I don't agree. The way these things work, and it doesn't matter if its VOSA and recalls or councils and death crash sites, action only takes place once the statistics have piled up - i.e. enough people have died or been injured. Which is great, sit around waiting for the stats and just hope you are not one of the people who becomes a stat. But some people are going to have to die/be injured/have their towbar fall off to become a stat.

Call me a tw8t if you like, but I'd rather that neither me nor anyone else helped to make stats that will get VOSA and JLR to get their arses into gear. Sitting around waiting for proof is not a great way of managing safety. In fact under the Health & Safety at Work Act its illegal. I'm grateful to Character for flagging this so we can investigate and hopefully not become a useful statistic for VOSA.

I make no great claims for maturity, but if Character, who has probably tested his D3's towing capabilities to destruction, thinks their might be a problem then I want to know. I will then make my own decisions about what if anything I will do. VOSA perform a useful role but I cannot see how they have achieved the status of being all knowing and infallible in all things vehicle related. Especially when dealing with vehicle manufacturers who can afford expensive lawyers and engineers. Anyone who is familiar with the working of accident stats knows they, like all stats say some things and not others Wink

The simple fact is D3 owners tend to tow big, heavy things, and if there is a potential problem we want to know so we can check our vehicles. I doubt anyone wants to be stood at the side of a motorway as the emergency services clear up the carnage an escaped trailer might cause. If someone has concerns about safety, they should raise them and flag them up. Sitting around waiting for "statistics" is a recipe for someone to get hurt. So it may no be the most mature thing in the world but I'd rather call someone a tw8t than injure them through an avoidable accident by telling people not to check something. After all it is not a big job, and if they end up checking a safety critical component that might otherwise not have been checked, that is a good thing in my book.

Very Happy

In more grown up terms look up "groupthink" and incidents like the Challenger Shuttle Disaster. There were no accident stats for that either. Although on the plus side there were after it blew up, so then they could do something about it Rolling Eyes
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #9520728th Jul 2012 8:04 pm
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

where is the like button

i wish i were articulate enough to put it as well as you just have rugged peak but i am not so i am glad someone has and i would like to second it

Post #9520798th Jul 2012 8:12 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

All I asked for was credible references - I do not believe that is silly

You might have 36 years experience as a Profesional Mechanical Engineer but what does that mean - unless your evidence is verified it still does not mean a lot.

Character bringing this matter up is a good thing but we should all know that his D3 as well as doing a very high mileage has doe a lot of towing. Until we have verified scientific evidence it does not mean anything.

Post #9520808th Jul 2012 8:13 pm
pinhead

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

b16
out of interest how many miles has your d3 done
has it towed a lot or mainly a used as a car with the tin tent for hols

Post #9520868th Jul 2012 8:16 pm
WOODY179

United Kingdom 

I will not be posting anymore on this thread as It has got rather silly in the last few posts. VOSA do not wait for people to die or be injured before acting on suspect components Rolling Eyes

At the moment there is no real evidence that these towbars are defective in anyway. Yes LR & VOSA should check them and I'll wait and see what they say before making my mind up. Although I'll be checking my towbar (as normal) every time it is used.

Post #9520918th Jul 2012 8:23 pm
ruggedpeak

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

WOODY179 wrote:
All I asked for was credible references - I do not believe that is silly

Yes it is, as by definition towbars will have had to have failed and most likely someone got hurt. Non-injury rtc's (known as "damage only") do not feature in the detailed stats, indeed the police do not get involved as a rule unless its obstructing the road. So every towbar that fails and does not injure anyone will not show up in the detailed stats. MOT stats are next to useless as a safety measure as getting from MOT or other stats to a VOSA recall is a torturous process.

As a safety professional, if I were running a fleet of D3 that towed I'd have everyone checked on the basis of this. Why? Firstly I'd look a complete tw8t in court if one of them lost a trailer and I had known it was a possible issue (legal duty of care etc etc). Secondly I know the world of pain that could come my way if it did go wrong, and I'd want to make damn sure I'd done everything reasonably possible to avoid it. Finally, as any safety professional will tell you, you can't have too many checks. Checking a fleet of towbars will undoubtedly throw up some other safety issue that may not have been spotted, even if the towbars are fine. I won't take vehicles off the road for it, just make sure the next time there is down time they get a once over. And if it does go horribly wrong I've shown competence, a duty of care and taken reasonable steps.

Or I could say I was waiting for scientific proof before doing anything.

Yes, I get Evil or Very Mad about safety and people who wait for proof or say it won't happen. Most "accidents" are avoidable, but due to a lack of care, skill or someone lacking the imagination to see how it could happen, they happen anyway. If I insult someone over safety I'm happy Very Happy An insulted person is a much better result than an injured one, and maturity rarely trumps idiocy these days. Thumbs Up
 Tony

Club RLD Wheel Protector & Sump Guard
Club 4x4 Info activated 

Post #9521008th Jul 2012 8:36 pm
mowog

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 4

There is a similar conversation going on over in the Australian forums.

There have been 2 confirmed failures in Australia one in a D4 and the other in an RRS. There was another reported detachment but that one seem to have been operator error. In this case it actually tore the safety chain lugs off!

I tow a 3500kg caravan and I have had a persistent clunk. I have simply lost faith in the LR hitch setup. I changed to a Mitch Hitch setup which brings the hitch point to the same height as the rear bumper.
 Discovery 4 SE Long range fuel tank Kaymar Rear Bar.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood
Mini JCW Clubman
Lotus Trooper Off Road Caravan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mowog/ 

Post #9522719th Jul 2012 8:43 am
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Just spoken to my local dealer, didn't know about any template or any notice to owners regarding use of towbars in particularly the detachable LR OEM one.

It was onlywhen I mentioned VOSA that the chap showed any interest

Is there any TSB reference or LR reference that I can quote to them ?

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #9744307th Sep 2012 12:39 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

My dealer is none the wiser also.
He has checked and cannot find anything from LR specific to this or VOSA,
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #9744317th Sep 2012 12:41 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >