Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

chipped tdv6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
shawn

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Bali BlueDiscovery 4

hi all
my tdv6 has also had the tc treatment and i can honestly say i would hate to have to go back to a standard car, mine is awsome i love it and it so so smooth

get your wallets out and have even more fun with your d3, you won't regret it

cheers shawn
 bali blue disco 4 with rear dvd's, privacy glass, pre heat system, heated steering wheel, full size spare, piano black trim, ipod cable, 20 inch wheels and i love it loads more than my TDV8 RRS, KTM 250 EXC 2 Stroke for the real off road stuff  
Post #3026129th Nov 2005 7:35 pm
W6CJW

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 4

kaney wrote:
Iwas going to have mine chipped but i was put off and until a long term review is done then i will hold back for 18 months or so as i want to keep my car for at least 5yrs. simple

I had my 1997 VW Sharan 90bhp chipped by SC at 40k cost me four new pistons and a set of injectors at 150k miles Crying or Very sad YES it was the power increase that cracked all pistons in the exact same place......the extra grunt was great but not at the expense of an engine rebuild. Regular servicing with quality oil did'nt prevent my diesel from letting go Crying or Very sad
 D4 3.0 HSE cameras,Hybrid TV, 20" alloys, heated wheel, privacy, Tow pack.
Departed RRS TDV8 HSE Full Arden kit in TEAL and colour coded everything.
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

I never drive faster than I can see! 

Post #3033429th Nov 2005 11:42 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

You're engine probably failed because all SC do is increase injector fuelling to very high levels...we at TC do not do this.
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #3039330th Nov 2005 12:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
W6CJW

turbochip wrote:
You're engine probably failed because all SC do is increase injector fuelling to very high levels...we at TC do not do this.

NA........ no smoke! I believe that they altered all perameters including the real danger man BOOST! Still once bitten......thats until you buy a TD5 D2 that was my next baby and yes I again played around with the power output Laughing and yet again 23k miles and guess what......it dropped a big end Crying or Very sad No not an SC chip.....this was a JE job complete with bigger intercooler the works lucky for me LR dropped a new engine in foc under MW Very Happy (I have more if anyone would like to pm me......) this is only my two penny worth, its up to any individual to do as they please..... but hey save the sales talk it stinks.
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

Post #3041330th Nov 2005 2:41 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

W6CJW wrote:
I have more if anyone would like to pm me......

What have you got more of? Wink
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #3041730th Nov 2005 2:44 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

I am not going to get into another 'pointless' argument over the pros and cons of 'chipping' a vehicle.

My product works and it works reliably.

I was a SC dealer for 3 years and my business partner one for over 10 years....we know exactly what their modifications do and dont do and I can tell you form a technical point of view (and not a salesman's) exactly what they do on the majority of turbodiesel engines.

I have first hand experience of engine failures and it was always caused by an injector failure due to over fuelling.....we do not do this at TC.

You were obviously unlucky with your 2 vehicles but that doesnt mean all tuners are the same.

Incidentally JE Engineering are 'talking' with TC over supplying D3 upgrades for them....Wink
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #3041930th Nov 2005 2:54 pm
Pelyma

England 

I think that those that have had their cars chipped (of which I am not one) do the sales talk, not Chris who seems to sit on the side lines unless direct comment is made about his product.

All I can add is I have followed one and it left me for dead even with Victor Meldrew driving. If that is what you want then it seems a good product and the only upgrade that companies are willing to let be tested off road and on by the likes of us. Rather than the usual magazine test on an airstrip somewhere.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #3042030th Nov 2005 3:12 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Drove the 'demo' Turbochip car offroad, absolutely flawless in it's performance. I have since driven one for a good few hundred miles on road, again, flawless and a significant improvement on the standard mapping both in terms of smoother performance and improved fuel economy.... one for the christmas list I think Laughing Laughing

Post #3042330th Nov 2005 3:32 pm
BN

England 

Pelyma wrote:
I think that those that have had their cars chipped (of which I am not one) do the sales talk, not Chris who seems to sit on the side lines unless direct comment is made about his product.

All I can add is I have followed one and it left me for dead even with Victor Meldrew driving. If that is what you want then it seems a good product and the only upgrade that companies are willing to let be tested off road and on by the likes of us. Rather than the usual magazine test on an airstrip somewhere.

Don't forget that TC launched his D3 chipping at Braunston Airfield yonks ago with some 0-60 trials against the clock and it did well against the BMW's etc. (Tell them the figures TC)

I have to admit that for a car that has had every TDH in it and been raced, off roaded and anything anyone can throw at it, the car went well. Mine is not chipped either by the way, but have to concede to TC's performance and I would think his car has done the equivalent to a normal cars year or more.

Off road performance was not effected from the trials I gave it and on road it did go well and I did not try it hard, but easily left Pelyma behind.

Post #3044230th Nov 2005 5:57 pm
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I would consider this upgrade but if it invalidates my warranty does TC have any extensive guarantee in place to cover off a detonating engine?
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #3044730th Nov 2005 6:06 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

W6CJW wrote:
turbochip wrote:

NA........ no smoke! I believe that they altered all perameters including the real danger man BOOST! Still once bitten......thats until you buy a TD5 D2 that was my next baby and yes I again played around with the power output Laughing and yet again 23k miles and guess what......it dropped a big end Crying or Very sad No not an SC chip.....this was a JE job complete with bigger intercooler the works lucky for me LR dropped a new engine in foc under MW Very Happy (I have more if anyone would like to pm me......) this is only my two penny worth, its up to any individual to do as they please..... but hey save the sales talk it stinks.

Did'nt some TD5 engines have an issue with the incorrect big end shells being fitted at manufacture? I seem to remember a TSB regarding the replacement of of 'spatter type' big end shells with the correct 'white metal' type (or was it the other way round - I can't remember). I remember meeting a bloke who had just had a new TD5 engine because a big end had developed play and allowed the piston to hit the head with disastrous consequences.

My dealer offers a chipping service, and will warrant it. I have a suspicion it is TC that does the job, but I know he (TC) stays (understandably) quiet about it. With this in mind, I think it would be safe.

Me personally, I am not chipped, and can't be until I pay off the lease. It is in the terms that it is a big no no Crying or Very sad When I am sure I will be keeping it after the lease expires, I will get it chipped.

Post #3045730th Nov 2005 8:00 pm
LRtuning

We had 0-60 times of 9.7 seconds with our own Disco3 Wink

The in-gear timings were even better!

As for an additional 'chip' warranty we have been unable to find any insurer or broker able to offer us a cost effective 'add on' policy.

But then again the conversion is totally undetectable to ALL main dealer diagnostic tools so we 'let' LR deal with any warranty issues as normal Wink
Post #3047330th Nov 2005 8:42 pm
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

But then again the conversion is totally undetectable to ALL main dealer diagnostic tools so we 'let' LR deal with any warranty issues as normal Wink[/quote]

wow, thats some sales pitch, does the insurance company diagnosotic test find it in the event of "write off" claim??
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #305861st Dec 2005 8:57 am
LRtuning

Q.What diagnostic tools do the insurance companies use?
A. Usually none and if they did then it would be a LR diagnostic tool!

Again if you wish to tell your insurance company then they will usually 'load' your premium to reflect the conversion

It's not a sales pitch but simply a fact that the conversion is undetectable but if you wish to tell your LR dealer you've had the conversion that's up to you...they will still honour you're warranty but may choose to 'restrict it' in the event of a 'chip' related claim.
Post #305891st Dec 2005 9:28 am
W6CJW

turbochip wrote:
Q.What diagnostic tools do the insurance companies use?
A. Usually none and if they did then it would be a LR diagnostic tool!

Again if you wish to tell your insurance company then they will usually 'load' your premium to reflect the conversion

Its not the motor you should worry about its if you have an accident and heaven forbid there is a fatality Crying or Very sad believe me they leave no stone unturned!
Departed Disco 3 2.7 HSE

Post #310073rd Dec 2005 7:13 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >