chipped tdv6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
wazza

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Turbochip cost £££££

Laughing Hi any one had the turbochip treatment and got the costs ££££ Regard

Post #316827th Dec 2005 11:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi Wazza, welcome to the DISCO3 Mr. Green Look up at the Turbochip advert for the cost Wink

I'm led to believe there might be an extra Christmas discount available for DISCO3 members 8)
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #316837th Dec 2005 11:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

PM me or call me on 07957 309640

Regards

Chris
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #318468th Dec 2005 7:39 pm
iain rice

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
chipped tdv6

just to let you know the cars now up to 24.2 mpg after 300 miles, still just on mixed roads.
still giving it what for most of the time
was doing 23.8 before upgrade, struggling to find a downside as yet

ps left a bmw x5 for dead on a1 on sunday

Post #318588th Dec 2005 9:16 pm
Monkeyhanger

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Just a cautionary word of advice ladies and gentlemen.
My insurance company were prepared to cover a "chipped" TDV6 but I changed to the V8 before I got a response from the underwriters to the cost. Having the V8 converted to LPG was actually cheaper to insure than the standard V8.
As far as notifying the insurance company and their ability to identify a chipped vehicle, every Disco 3 computer records the cars history prior to any collision, including the fact that it can do 0-60 in under 10 seconds instead of under 12 as it should be. Most insurance investigators are ex Police crash investigators who keep up to date with the latest improvements and fiddles. Won't take them long to put 2 and 2 together.
By not informing the Insurance Company will not only invalidate your insurance but also have you up before "the beak" for making a False Declaration To obtain Insurance. The extra 8 points on your licence will cost you a lot more in future insurance than any loading for the chip.

Post #318628th Dec 2005 10:03 pm
aitchy

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Monkeyhanger wrote:
Just a cautionary word of advice ladies and gentlemen.
My insurance company were prepared to cover a "chipped" TDV6 but I changed to the V8 before I got a response from the underwriters to the cost. Having the V8 converted to LPG was actually cheaper to insure than the standard V8.
As far as notifying the insurance company and their ability to identify a chipped vehicle, every Disco 3 computer records the cars history prior to any collision, including the fact that it can do 0-60 in under 10 seconds instead of under 12 as it should be. Most insurance investigators are ex Police crash investigators who keep up to date with the latest improvements and fiddles. Won't take them long to put 2 and 2 together.
By not informing the Insurance Company will not only invalidate your insurance but also have you up before "the beak" for making a False Declaration To obtain Insurance. The extra 8 points on your licence will cost you a lot more in future insurance than any loading for the chip.

Gents, this is the level headed honest response i would expect from owners of such prestigious and high value cars, especially when your own business or livelihood is dependant apon them. Thanks for the advice, i will certainly add the cost of uploading insurance in to my cost analysis of the upgrade.
 TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue and still smiling  
Post #319029th Dec 2005 11:23 am
LRtuning

The vehicle's ecu does not log 0-60 times and I've yet to find any insurance company that can extract data above and beyond that of the manufacturer's diagnostic tool.

The ecu does process vehicle speed, engine load, steering angle etc but it does not retain this data for use later on.....even if it did it would go beyone the realms of the current data protection act and parliament would have to change the law to 'allow' this data to be used.

Could you imagine the scenario whereby PC Plod stopped you in Sainsburys and downloaded data from your car and then slapped a fixed penalty ticket on you for speeding "two weeks last saturday".....I think not!

I suggest all forum members who modify their cars do indeed ask or inform their insurance company but it is really a matter for them.

Incidentally if you fit an Ipod cradle in your car you should also declare this as such an accessory makes the car more likely to be broken into!

On a final note I'm an ex cop who investigated accidents and worked as an insurance crash assessor so I have a bit of knowledge in this area.
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #320449th Dec 2005 7:36 pm
irf

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Could you comment on the section in the Owners Handbook manual p.25 in 2006 MY under Event Recording.

I don't want to have to type the whole lot in unless I have to but it seems to say that there are modules on the LR that store iinformation in the event of a crash or near crash and that under suitable permissions this can be accessed later.

It gives some examples of what it does record but suggests that it is capable of recording more.

I think its the same information that you were referring to except that it says that the information is capable of being retained

I'm not sure that an insurance company would need a court order, it would simply say it's not paying out unless had access to the info.

Post #320469th Dec 2005 8:03 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

This bit....

ON-BOARD EVENT DATA

Service data recording
Service data recorders in your vehicle are capable of collecting and storing diagnostic information about your vehicle. This potentially includes information about the performance or status of various systems and modules in the vehicle such as engine, throttle, steering or brakes.In order to properly diagnose and service your vehicle, Land Rover and service and repair facilities may access vehicle diagnostic information through a direct connection to your vehicle.

Event data recording
Other modules in your vehicle - event data recorders - are capable of collecting and storing data during a crash or near-crash event. The recorded information may assist in the investigation of such an event. The modules may record information about both the vehicle and the occupants, potentially including information such as:
•How various systems in your vehicle were operating.
•Whether or not the driver and passenger seat belts were buckled.
•How far, if at all, the driver was depressing the accelerator and/or the brake pedal.
•How fast the vehicle was travelling.
•Where the driver was positioning the steering wheel.

To access this information special equipment must be connected directly to the recording modules. Land Rover do not access event data recorder information without obtaining consent, unless pursuant to court order or where required by law enforcement, other government authorities or third parties acting with lawful authority.Other parties may seek to access the information independently of Land Rover.
 The End  
Post #320489th Dec 2005 8:13 pm
LRtuning

The term "suitable permissions" is where it all falls down.....it's purely a 'smokescreen' by LR so that owners drive responsibly......Volvo trucks have had this data retention system since 1994 but there is not one case where the police or other "authorised persons" have been able to access or use this data in court!

After all your insurance policy is a contract and insurance companies even if they suspect 'foul play' (but cant prove it by legal means) will have to pay up.

I do agree with your concerns Wink

ps As the saying goes " If you have a big nose why underline it with a moustache!"
Post #320529th Dec 2005 8:20 pm
BN

England 

turbochip wrote:
The term "suitable permissions" is where it all falls down.....it's purely a 'smokescreen' by LR so that owners drive responsibly......Volvo trucks have had this data retention system since 1994 but there is not one case where the police or other "authorised persons" have been able to access or use this data in court!

After all your insurance policy is a contract and insurance companies even if they suspect 'foul play' (but cant prove it by legal means) will have to pay up.

I do agree with your concerns Wink

ps As the saying goes " If you have a big nose why underline it with a moustache!"

TC, have to disagree there, it is used in Germany quite a lot for evidential purposes. The police can read the ECU and I believe in Sweden and many other countries. They can also read speed and braking during the last 30 seconds of travel prior to any incident from the car.

Post #320809th Dec 2005 10:16 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

does that not conflict with the EU human rights laws? specifically not having to provide information that MAY incriminate the individual providing the info... or do we not 'own' the info that may, or may not be in the vehicles we have paid for?

Post #320829th Dec 2005 10:20 pm
LRtuning

BN

I'm talking about the UK Wink
Post #320869th Dec 2005 10:30 pm
BN

England 

turbochip wrote:
BN

Yes, but the police scientific research division have the same ability for serious incidents and death in the UK, which is used more and more now. Volvo, Merc and MAN trucks have had the system from Cummins in North America since about 1995, which is used worldwide and it is based on the same system for cars.

Post #320899th Dec 2005 10:35 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

BN wrote:
turbochip wrote:
BN

Yes, but the police scientific research division have the same ability for serious incidents and death in the UK, which is used more and more now. Volvo, Merc and MAN trucks have had the system from Cummins in North America since about 1995, which is used worldwide and it is based on the same system for cars.
if a Disco 3 is involved in an incident with any of the above, I doubt the driver would be worried about any repercussions related to any remapping of the engine ECU, as Turbochip & Slimer state, it only records roadspeed and the state of other sensors, brake pedal, accelerator etc. NOT the BHP potential or the rate of acceleration of the vehicle.... so what's the problem?  
Post #320939th Dec 2005 10:43 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >