Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

chipped tdv6
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 4 of 4 <1234
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

p.s. anything before the word 'but' is discounted ...as in "i'm sorry BUT you're talking absolute Censored" translates as "you're talking absolute Censored" ...as an example

Post #320949th Dec 2005 10:46 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Coffeecup

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Remapped, Chipped or whatever... it makes no difference.

IF the vehicle has a little black box to record your last 30 seconds before impact, it will only record how fast you were going, direction, braking etc.

It will NOT, record that you made use of the extra power the Remapping had provided or where the extra power came from.

Therefore the chip only provides you with the means to be driving too fast, or at too high a speed than is appropriate for the conditions or legal limits. It is not some random device that would cause you to do this, it is the driver that does this. And it is the same driver that could be going too fast with an un-mapped D3.

So get real, if you have an accident and someone reviews the little black box and it incriminates you, it is you that is responsible not the ECU. The D3 is the tool, it is you that uses it.

Coffeecup

Tonga Green March 2005 TDV6 S - Tonga Green - Manual
Stornoway Grey May 2008 TDV6 SE - Stornoway Grey - Auto
Tonga Green Dec 2010 SDV6 XS - Galway Green - Auto 

Post #321019th Dec 2005 10:55 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Lordy - some nervous dispositions here............... Rolling Eyes

The vehicle systems can reveal quite a lot immediately prior to an accident; the important word here is "immediately". There is no black box on a D3 - the ability to "record" is very limited, and is essentially designed for system diagnostic purposes, not to allow others to snoop.........

Yes, chipping a vehicle impacts performance, but that is why you do it in the first place, after all. If you don't tell you insurance company, and they suspect that the vehicle performance has been enhanced, I am quite certain they can find out, if they want to. If I had it done, I'd tell my insurance company - previous experience confirms that this does not mean an overly onerous increase in premiums.

That said, in the unpleasant scenario of an accident, PC plod (in the first instance) will be attempting to quantify vehicle speed prior to the incident and braking - neither of which is impacted by a chipping process that has not interfered in any way with the speed limitation on the vehicle or the braking systems.

The D3 is essentially a "domestic" not "commercial" vehicle - which have far more sophisticated recording systems; further, in the same bracket as FBH, tyre pressure monitor, Land Rover dealer POIs on the Sat Nav and the like.....don't believe everything you read in the Owner's Manual.

Post #321039th Dec 2005 10:55 pm
LRtuning

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

BN

I've just spoken to my friend who is currently a traffic cop and accident investigator and they have no facility to extract any data from any of the vehicle computers.

And the only data they would be interested in is direction,vehicle speed,brake application and steering angle immediately before an accident.

The power output of an engine would never come into the equation as it doesnt really matter whether you are driving a mini or and Ferrari when you 'plough into someone' if you are driving poorly.

Can we get back to the 'real' issue and that is that we should tell an insurance company if we modify our cars but that actually goes for any modification including 'bull bars' and winches etc etc
 Money talks.Sex sells.Mud sticks.Time flys. Censored happens.People talk.Impressions last!  
Post #3216810th Dec 2005 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BrianX

Location: Bolton UK - it may be 'grim up north' but at least you get gravy on yer' chips.

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Sorry if I'm repeating stuff from other members, but I had my TDV6 'turbochipped' about a week after buying it. The difference it made was astonishing Very Happy , especially over about 45mph where acceleration had previously been non-existent Mad , but now goes like 'excrement off a digging implement' Wink . I previously had an Audi A8 Sport, so the D3 seemed sluggish (to say the least) prior to the upgrade. MPG stayed around the same at first, but has been gradually increasing from about 21.5 to 24 over the last 4k miles (now at 11k). When I told my insurance company (Privelige) they upped my premium by £40 a year - not a huge cost for staying legal me thinks! I only wish that I'd had the chip 2 days earlier, that way the skip wagon which removed the rear nearside arches and mudflaps would have been well and truly in my rearview instead of well and truly inside my rear quarter Crying or Very sad
 '
'
'05 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'06 Disco3 TDV6 - gone
'08 Freelander 2 - gone
'98 P38 V8/LPG - gone
'02 L322 V8 - gone
'02 Freelander 1 - gone
'05 Disco 3 TDV6 - SWMBO
'06 L322 V8 - current

Post #3262913th Dec 2005 8:00 pm
THUB

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Rechipping.

I have only been a member of the site a few days and have had a Disco 3 for about two months. Very Happy Very Happy Previous Discos were 200TDi, Smile 300 TDi(auto) Smile and TD5(auto) Very Happy .
Prior to buying the D3 I spoke to a number of dealers, primarily for price comparisons but also on the question of chipping. One dealer was dead against it, one dealer said "we do it and take it off if there has been an incident (accident?). That attitude creates all sorts of questions.
I am of the opinion that you are legally, if not morally, bound to tell your Insurance Company. I asked mine and after they had referred the matter to the underwriters they wanted to increase the premium by about £120.00 per annum AND limit the bhp increase
I have written two letters to LR, but as yet no reply.

Post #3263813th Dec 2005 9:14 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

THUB,

Agreed. Any mod to the car will invalidate the insurance if the insurance company are not told... at their discretion.

Come clean and don't risk having a no pay out on your claim.

Same for any FBH / chipping mods etc with warranty. Unless LR state to you in writing that it will honour your warranty after an after-market mod... I would not do it until the vehicle is outside warranty cover.

-s

Post #3264013th Dec 2005 9:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 4 of 4 <1234
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >