Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Cleaned and working EGR valve...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
karlosbu

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Cleaned and working EGR valve...

After 130K the near side EGR valve started playing up recently, lack of power, engine management light, fault code P045C logged. So I blanked it off and ordered a new valve (EU4 engine), car was running fine with one blanked EGR just the warning light bugging me. The new EGR arrived but before fitting it I decided to see if the old one really was knackered or just coked up.

So off with the EGR to inlet manifold pipework and after starting / stopping it was evident the valve was not moving at all. So in with a screwdriver to scrape of the soot and the a good soak in WD40 for a few minutes. Started the engine and out spat the WD 40, engine off and low and behold the valve was moving as it should...repeated the scrape, soak start cycle another 4-5 times and the valve appeared to be moving perfectly. EGR pipework back in place and a test drive reveals engine management light out and full power restored. Historic P045C fault codes still there though. 2K miles later with a couple of long motorway runs under its belt and all still fine, can running perfectly, historic fault code now cleared too.

So it would appear that certainly one way these fail is simply by being clogged with crap rather than an actuator or electronics failure. Ready with a new valve if it fails open again but it seems to be working just fine...will be interesting to see how long she goes for Whistle (blanking plate and 8mm spanner in car just in case !!)

One up for make and mend rather than just replacing... Thumbs Up

Karl

Post #148097731st May 2015 8:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If it were me, I'd be much happier to get shot of the blasted things whether failed or not...

Presumably the bearings were OK then?
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #14815431st Jun 2015 9:21 am
karlosbu

Would be great to get rid but the EU4 engine prevents that simply.

Obviously no way to check the bearings but observing it with the pipework removed when you switch the engine off it seems to be moving freely through its cleaning cycle so I should think they are fine.

I'm sure it'll go again at some point but given its a 5 minute job to blank it off again if it sticks open then I'm interested to see how long it lasts !! (not my main car so happy to experiment Whistle )

At some point I'll have to bite the bullet and spend a Saturday morning swearing and scraping my knuckles to swap it out I'm sure !!

Karl

Post #14815501st Jun 2015 9:34 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lost for Words

By the time you've had a pair of replacement valves you could have had a remap complete with the EGR removal though. Wink
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC

Post #14815601st Jun 2015 9:49 am
karlosbu

OK so 8 months and 15K miles and the engine light came on again yesterday and down on power at low revs. So the EGR valve I cleaned back in May stuck open again. Off with the pipe work and sure enough I can see the valve is stuck open. So used a screwdriver to move the valve and soaked with WD40 after a while valve is now moving freely again and I can now see it cycling when engine turned off with the pipe work removed. So pipe work put back (with blanking plate in place for now just in case) and all is well, running fine and no faults detectable via IID tool. So that's 145K and original offside EGR still working...I know the valve needs replacing or deleting and remapping but I'm interested to see how long I can keep it going by repairing it or adding an EGR valve clean to my servicing schedule. Don't really want to replace something that only needs a clean Thumbs Up

Karl

D4 HSE Santorini Black MY13
BMW 520d SE Touring - sold (Hated by kids and SWMBO)
D3 GS Stornaway Gray MY08 - sold (was still going at 180K)
D2 TD5 Auto Buckingham Blue MY99 - sold
D1 200 Tdi Firefox Red MY93 - sold 

Post #159404716th Jan 2016 11:50 am
darkroomsource

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Please excuse my ignorance, how much effort does this require?
I haven't done any mechanical work on an engine in years, but once upon a time (70's) I dide som rebuilds (engines, transmissions, starters, carbs, etc.) on a couple cars, but I have no idea what an EGR is, let alone where, or what has to removed to get to it.

Post #165754421st May 2016 8:51 am
Alan B

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

DRS,
I'd get someone more knowledgable to do it for you Thumbs Up
Not something to be mucking about with IMO as the later models (07) onwards iirc need the computer thingymabob to stop lights on the dash or something like that

Thumbs Up
 D3 57 xs Stornaway grey
D2 02 commercial silver gone but a great servant and won't be forgotten

Iid Bluetooth 

Post #165754621st May 2016 8:56 am
Lost for Words

Guide for the physical blanking here: http://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/u...0SMALL.pdf Wink

Is it a EU3 (to 06MY) or EU4 (07MY on)? Now would be an ideal time to fill in your profile. Thumbs Up

Post #165756021st May 2016 9:13 am
darkroomsource

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Galway GreenDiscovery 3

Thanks for the information.
Re: profile. I had it already, except for the colour. Basically because I can't tell which green it is, and haven't found it on the door either. When I put in a colour, then my D3 icon shows on my profile.
I guess it doesn't show without a colour.

Post #165776921st May 2016 4:54 pm
Sokoleto

Bulgaria 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 3

karlosbu wrote:
OK so 8 months and 15K miles and the engine light came on again yesterday and down on power at low revs. So the EGR valve I cleaned back in May stuck open again. Off with the pipe work and sure enough I can see the valve is stuck open. So used a screwdriver to move the valve and soaked with WD40 after a while valve is now moving freely again and I can now see it cycling when engine turned off with the pipe work removed. So pipe work put back (with blanking plate in place for now just in case) and all is well, running fine and no faults detectable via IID tool. So that's 145K and original offside EGR still working...I know the valve needs replacing or deleting and remapping but I'm interested to see how long I can keep it going by repairing it or adding an EGR valve clean to my servicing schedule. Don't really want to replace something that only needs a clean Thumbs Up

Karl

Great work.
I have recently errors from, my EGRs, I will try to block the in... from the escape, this will prevent to acumulate dirt from escape gases and also the engine will breat easy.
 One Life Live it.  
Post #20056993rd Dec 2018 3:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >