Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Climate control problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
sitticheep

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Climate control problem

after a several search for solution and hope I might find one. finally I send my car to professional A/C shop to find out the root cause.

the symptom of mine is the A/C run great when the car move but it will blow no cold air when ever car approaching ramp or traffic light. when check the refrigent it shown a slightly lost of refrigerant. so, top up the refrigerant then still no help. Accidentally I found the immedaite solution is to hit the ECON and then hit the ECON again when car getting to the speed. it was like that not so long a month later it is almost not working every morning the A/C will not blow cold air untill you drive for several miles then it start to kick-in.

The A/C shop after took 4 hour to remove all parts for access to get the A/C compressor out and when they disassembly they found out the compressor fail because of over heat. Not the mechanical over heat but the refrigerant over heat. They said that it cause from Receiver dryer was clogged and also cooling fan doesn't come on time.

Has any one experience somthing like this? I think the car use in hot climate like mine need to adjust the cooling fan delayed time in EMS Module to get it kick-in faster. As ambient temp over 32 degree C all the time the condensor easily getting over heat very fast and A/C always shutdown because of over pressure.

Will see the result after compressor and reciver dryer changes if there is nothing else fail mean I will need someone in LR to reprogram EMS ECU to kick-in fan as soon as the A/C turn on. Otherwise very soon I will need another compressor again.

Post #53294111th Oct 2009 7:28 pm
sitticheep

Climate control problem

Just want to share my experienced with Disco 3 ATC. finally the problem solved. The main failure is the Receiver Dyrer clogged and cause the refrigerant could not flow as it supposed to and create the high pressure side too high since D3 use the feedback signal from pressure transducer to kick-in cooling fan the cooling fan that control by ECM will not kick-in immediately after the refrigerant high pressure side reached 300PSI but instead it took about 15 second. So, when the dryer clogged. the pressure increase faster than 15 sec. So, the A/C always cut-off. it is a closed loop control very difficult to diagnose. Thumbs Up

Post #53476515th Oct 2009 10:51 am
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for the info sitticheep, please let us know if you manage to get a full fix?
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #53476715th Oct 2009 10:58 am
sitticheep

Yes my D3 is back from A/C shop and run smooth now. I change the A/C dryer and brand new compressor. I shouldn't spoil my A/C compressor if I change the Dryer sooner whenever the problem occur. This is expensive experience the compressor itself took total more than 7 hours for remove and install back in. please don't over look the dryer it run great when car move only stop when stand still. If your ATC working like this you are facing same problem as mine. Again, This problem will not occur if they use the traditional system electric cooling fan it will only happen with Electro-Viscous Fan which use in D3 Rolling with laughter

Post #53477215th Oct 2009 11:19 am
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

I had my air compressor replaced and I don't think it took more than 2 hours to swap it out. How come they took so long or was the 7 hours for replacement of everything.

Post #53478215th Oct 2009 11:53 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I recently had my air-con compressor replaced under warranty and I seem to remember that it was a fairly complicated 5-6 hour job as far as my dealer told me...
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #53478615th Oct 2009 12:00 pm
d3syd

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Haven't been on the forum for a long time, but I am also having a similar problem with my a/c as siticheep. Initially when the problem started, the a/c fan would take a while to come on. Then as the prob got worse, it would take longer and longer. Now the fan fails to come on altogether.

I believe the a/c compressor is still working because the pipes coming out of the compressor are cold, and when I drive, outside air that is entering the car is cooled/heated.

When the fan did eventually come on before it died completely, it would continue to function normally until I switched off the engine. Then it would have trouble starting again.

Any suggestions?
 '06 TDV6 SE AUTO BUCKINGHAM BLUE
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL
'08 BMW 135i Coupe Twin Turbo 

Post #53662119th Oct 2009 10:26 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I vaguely remember someone posting a while back, about an air con fan not operating properly (the interior fan,not the viscous fan), it turned out to be a relay problem, perhaps you could find the associated relay and swap it with one of the same type (if there is one in the fusebox) to check it. I don't think a new relay was that expensive come to think of it (but this was someone in the UK).

Post #53664419th Oct 2009 11:01 am
d3syd

Thanks for the pointer DN. Will look for the relay. Actually had a look for the associated fuse today but if was ok.
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #53666219th Oct 2009 11:28 am
d3syd

YES!! Thanks for your help DN. It was the fan relay. Swapped it with the rear cooler relay (which my car is not fitted with) and presto got my ac fan back!

Just saved me lots of $ from a visit to my LR service centre. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
'98 Volvo V70
'87 Mecedes 420 SEL

Post #53705820th Oct 2009 2:22 am
DN
D3 Decade 

Glad you got it sorted d3syd, no need to thank me though, I'm only the messenger boy Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #53710120th Oct 2009 9:03 am
ArcFro

Finland 

d3syd, Do you happen to have picture or switch pattern of relays, where fan relay sits at? I have apparentily same problem but there is only mention in owner's manual about relays that one should leave those fixed by dealers only.

Post #53768421st Oct 2009 11:01 am
DN
D3 Decade 

ArcFro, take fusebox cover in engine bay off and look at the diagram on the underside of cover. On mine the fan relay is R16. you could try just pulling it out and pushing back in again first, in case it's just a poor connection.

Post #53771721st Oct 2009 12:07 pm
ArcFro

Finland 

DN, many thanks indeed! You saved me a fortune of €:s too!

I did exactly the same as D3syd did and tadaa, it's working again. Very Happy

To be honest, I did open cover but wasn't smart enough to look inside of cover. Embarassed

Post #53775721st Oct 2009 1:07 pm
DN
D3 Decade 

Laughing Thumbs Up

Post #53776021st Oct 2009 1:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >