Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Climate control, yet again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

What's this foam bit that you are talking about? What does it do and does my '07 model have it?
 Back in the game!  
Post #12185219th Jan 2007 8:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Its a small piece of foam that is put into the interior temp sensor. It stops under-dash heat sources from fooling the system into thinking the car interior is warmer than it really is.

Its actioned on a "Upon customer complaint only" basis.

Post #12185719th Jan 2007 8:56 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Oh! I see.

BTW has the car got a pollen filter as I have heard several times that this can cause the misting problems that have been mentioned?
 Back in the game!  
Post #12186419th Jan 2007 9:00 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I had my foamy bit done during the service recently...it does make a difference Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #12186519th Jan 2007 9:02 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Closing VIN for the 'foamy-bit' is 6A411152 which should mean that all vehicles after that have it already fitted...

Post #12186719th Jan 2007 9:04 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

OK, lots of people suffering the same, this is good news for me. It means I can stop pestering LR, and just accept it. Might try leaving econ on and see what that does for me.

I think I'll get them to investigate the back vents for me though, that still doesn't sound right.

Post #12187219th Jan 2007 9:09 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Quite a few on here are mentioning bad misting of the windows. Mine does not suffer from misted windows at all, unless the weather is very cold and damp, or the car contains sweaty children in damp clothes.

previous experience in my D2 tells me that persistant misting that requires constant air con or demist to clear is a sign of a leak somewhere. On my D2 it was the sunroof and windscreen and a blocked aircon drain.

I am running most of the time in 'econ' mode without misting up.

Post #12187619th Jan 2007 9:15 pm
bontempi

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

bkehoe wrote:
Mine seems reluctant to send air to the windscreen when in auto, and can be inclined to start fogging up on some days. If I press the button to send air to the windscreen it sends air to it fine - is this normal behavior in full Auto mode, or do I have a problem - have latest software, and had the foam pad put in with the sensor 2 months ago.

I have noticed the same thing. I have to maually direct air to the windscreen, or use the electric
demist to keep forward visibility. Not having a steady flow of heated air across the windscreen and side window isn't very comfortable either. The future Mrs B keeps her jacket on at all times.

My Citroen that costs 1/5th of a Disco 3 does it a lot better... Sad

/Bontempi
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE "Ark Royal"
Mini Cooper D 

Post #12187919th Jan 2007 9:17 pm
bontempi

Sweden 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

dickgriff wrote:
I had my foamy bit done during the service recently...it does make a difference Wink

My dealer claims the foamy bit is installed on my car. What does it look like, so that I can verify it is there?

/Bontempi
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE "Ark Royal"
Mini Cooper D 

Post #12188219th Jan 2007 9:20 pm
10forcash

There is also TSB LA412-001, Feb. '06 up to VIN 6A380334
"A customer may report a concern that the heating and ventilation system performance is poor, with possibly one or more of the following symptoms:

The upper torso area is significantly colder than the lower body and feet area.
The outer cabin area (near the doors) is colder than in the center area of the cabin.
The cabin is colder than the set temperature.

Cause: The control module software is not providing adequate air distribution under all conditions.
Action: Should a customer express concern regarding the above, refer to the Service Procedure detailed in this bulletin to update the control module software."

This should have been rectified as part of the Enhancement programme (A034/036) Condensation in the vehicle can be caused by using the recirculation function frequently and / or the air extract flaps behind the rear light clusters not operating correctly.
Remember that whilst the FBH is operating, the ATCU will activate the recirc. function although the indicator LED will not be lit

Post #12188819th Jan 2007 9:25 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

10forcash wrote:

Remember that whilst the FBH is operating, the ATCU will activate the recirc. function although the indicator LED will not be lit

Hmm, you may be on to something here. The days that I've had trouble with the windscreen misting due to no air coming out of the windscreen vents have been days when the FBH was definatly running constantly. Days were either wet (raining) or very foggy (remember the bad for before Christmas). I've never had to touch the controls any other time no matter how wet or damp it was.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #12200519th Jan 2007 11:32 pm
10forcash

the FBH should shut of at 70-something degrees, although I have my doubts that it happens until the outside temp has climbed above the threshold...

Post #12201719th Jan 2007 11:42 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

10forcash wrote:
....although I have my doubts that it happens until the outside temp has climbed above the threshold...
you're not the only one with those doubts! The End  
Post #12208320th Jan 2007 1:29 am
discodownunder

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have complained that there is no air blowing out at the feet when in full auto, LRA answer is to press the foot button and dash vents button, it does work but takes the system off auto which to me makes a farce of having an auto system if you have to run it manually. Does the "foamy bit" fix this? I have had the enhancement done but no difference. Any other thoughts?
 2005 Disco 3 HSE in Zambezi + Ebony, Sat Nav, Active Locking Rear Diff and Cool Box  
Post #12304623rd Jan 2007 1:37 am
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

This one is sorted too. I'm a bit embarrassed about this one Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Basically, I thought my ideal temperature was about 22, it turns out (having carried a thermometer around with me for the last couple weeks) that my home, the office, and the car (when at my preferred temperature) are all at about 23-25.

I think I was getting a bit of 'pilot induced oscillation' in the temperature, but now I just leave it at 24 or 25, for the most part I'm very comfortable. It blasts me with hot air when the car is getting up to temp, but I now ignore that, as it passes after a couple of minutes. Before, I would turn the temp down, then up when the AC kicked in, then down again when it blasted me with hot air... Like I say, PIO.

Post #1366537th Mar 2007 6:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >