Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Climate control, yet again
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
bobbycrispbox

Australia 
Climate control, yet again

Still not fixed, so I have some more questions for others with the climate control fitted. I seem to have lost my original post.

The story so far:
- The cabin slowly cools during a long journey. It takes me about an hour to get to work, I start at about 22deg, and I'm generally at 26-27 maintaining the same temperature when I arrive.
- TSB LA412-003 (foam 'sock') fitted. Seemed to slow down the rate of cooling, but didn't fix the problem
- TSB LA412-001 (reload climate software). No change

The reason for my extra post is that I've started noticing some strange stuff. An example - when I'm belting round a right hand corner, or a roundabout, the cabin immediately gets hotter, like there's a loose paddle in the system that suddenly switches to the hot side. Left hand bends don't seem to affect the temperature.

Also, I've noticed that nothing ever comes out of the vents on the back of the centre console. Are these meant to do something, or are they for decoration only? FYI, I don't have the rear aircon option.

Climate control seems to be more consistent with other people in the car. Anyone else noticed anything like this?

It's going back to Guy Salmon in Stockport the week after next for the park brake, I'd love to be able to give John some pointers what to look at or some proper symptoms.

Help!

Post #12139018th Jan 2007 9:13 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The rears should put out air. Check they are open first, if they are and no air comming out there is a problem somewhere.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #12141118th Jan 2007 10:23 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

first thing to do is to check that the system operates as expected manually, not only air distribution but temperature and fan speed, secondly - assuming all is OK, run a self-test on the ATCM Shocked
"The motor and flap operation can be checked using the on-board distribution motor self-test function.

The self-test can be initiated by pressing and holding the ECON and RECIRC buttons while turning the ignition switch to the ON position.

The control module will then compare the current motor position with the values stored in the module and will indicate an error by flashing the ECON LED (light emitting diode).

If there are no errors, the LED will go out and the system will function normally.

To confirm that there are no errors, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, then back to the ON position.

Observe the operation of the programmed defrost LED.

If there are errors present, the programmed defrost LED will flash and the system will attempt to calibrate itself."

note that this will only test the motors, and won't confirm they are actually connecte to the flaps.... if the fault is reproduceable, get the service manager to drive the vehicle with you in it to confirm the problem - although the issue of cooling below threshold sounds like a disconnected pipe, seperate to the distribution flap problem

Post #12144719th Jan 2007 12:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Many thanks tfc! I'll try that tomorrow morning.

I take it this information comes from having a proper subscription to GTR? I think I might have to look into doing that myself.

Post #12146119th Jan 2007 12:18 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Some of it Whistle ... half the problem is knowing where to look Wink

Post #12146819th Jan 2007 12:22 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TFC to the rescue........................ Zambezi Silver
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #12149719th Jan 2007 6:33 am
noizeman

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Climate control, yet again

bobbycrispbox wrote:
Still not fixed, so I have some more questions for others with the climate control fitted. I seem to have lost my original post.

The story so far:
- The cabin slowly cools during a long journey. It takes me about an hour to get to work, I start at about 22deg, and I'm generally at 26-27 maintaining the same temperature when I arrive.
- TSB LA412-003 (foam 'sock') fitted. Seemed to slow down the rate of cooling, but didn't fix the problem
- TSB LA412-001 (reload climate software). No change

The reason for my extra post is that I've started noticing some strange stuff. An example - when I'm belting round a right hand corner, or a roundabout, the cabin immediately gets hotter, like there's a loose paddle in the system that suddenly switches to the hot side. Left hand bends don't seem to affect the temperature.

Also, I've noticed that nothing ever comes out of the vents on the back of the centre console. Are these meant to do something, or are they for decoration only? FYI, I don't have the rear aircon option.

Climate control seems to be more consistent with other people in the car. Anyone else noticed anything like this?

It's going back to Guy Salmon in Stockport the week after next for the park brake, I'd love to be able to give John some pointers what to look at or some proper symptoms.

Help!

I've noticed this 'hotter when taking bends' effect in many big cars. I think its all the cold air in the bottom half of the car (heavier than warm) sloshing to the side of the car which is on the outside of the bend, just as if were water. This displaces the warm air sending it over to the driver's side.

Or am I talking complete Censored ?

Post #12168419th Jan 2007 3:53 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

In my RR I used to get the opposite. Felt a cold draught across my face when going round roundabouts!

BTW Might get to my 400 tonight!
 Back in the game!  
Post #12173219th Jan 2007 5:54 pm
cecilthecat

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I've just tried the Econ and Recirc button press whilst turning the ignition on and the Econ button flashes, so what does this mean ?
I am interested to know as I have always suspected the air distribution to be a bit suspect as on auto it only really blows air to my feet and nowhere else. It does work fine in manual though i.e if I direct the heat using the 3 buttons.

Post #12177019th Jan 2007 6:53 pm
bobbycrispbox

Australia 

Yes, me too. The econ light flashes. Nothing from the Prog light after restarting, so presumably the self-checks come out alright.

Post #12177219th Jan 2007 6:56 pm
couplands

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Funny you should mention the issue, I have noticed that I have to increase the temp setting to keep the heat at a comfortable temp. I thought it was something to do with the mild temperatures causing the auto-climate to try and cool the car..!

It's hard to track down exactly whats happening, but over the few weeks I've had the car I often have to increase the temp setting from 20 to 24 to keep it comfortable.

One to keep an eye on...

cheers

simon

Post #12177619th Jan 2007 7:19 pm
DiscoDad

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Dodgy heaters in a landrover?

Glad to see that some things never change.

That will please the traditionalists!
 Back in the game!  
Post #12179419th Jan 2007 8:08 pm
Chris200100

Wales 

I find that in auto it only uses the feet vents to start with then it does open the others after a while (not timed how long)

It must have been set like that as hot rises and so its warming cool air rather than warming warm air.

It was the same in my last one and it does warm up very quick even without the fuel heater helping it.
 Focus ST500

Range Rover Classic

other modes of transport:- Volvo FM13 Globetrotter (13L 440bhp, 2200nm) nice new one

Post #12180919th Jan 2007 8:39 pm
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Mine seems reluctant to send air to the windscreen when in auto, and can be inclined to start fogging up on some days. If I press the button to send air to the windscreen it sends air to it fine - is this normal behavior in full Auto mode, or do I have a problem - have latest software, and had the foam pad put in with the sensor 2 months ago.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #12182019th Jan 2007 8:50 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Mine is the same. Its enhanced, and foamed too. I have been running with the econ button pressed for a while now, and find the temp control seems to better.

Mine is left on 22 degrees all the time. If I have a few bodies on board, or its damp air, then I turn off the econ mode and the temp will need nudging up a bit for comfort.

Post #12183819th Jan 2007 9:16 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >