Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Weird door mirror fault!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
ianrichardson

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3
Weird door mirror fault!

I've been going through the multitude of faults on my bargain basement 2006 D3 HSE.
The previous owner, only one, had replaced both mirrors with non power fold ones for some reason, even though it has memory seats etc. Why? But seeing some of the other 'faults' it has I'm not that surprised!

So two replacement mirrors and a new switch I have power fold mirrors and I 'think' the memory works on the mirrors, it sort of does on the seats, but where the passenger mirror goes up and down and in and out on pressing the switch the drivers one goes IN and OUT correctly but pressing DOWN the mirror goes UP and visa versa! The passenger one works correctly!
Are there any electronic gurus out there that could offer an explanation?
The only funny I can see is that the previous owner has put in an extra earth from the door to the body for some reason I've yet to determine why!
How easy is it for the seat memory module to get its knickers in a twist?
I've checked the wiring in the door and the switch, I've even tried a replacement switch and mirror motor but all give the same results.

Ian

Last edited by ianrichardson on 8th Feb 2018 1:25 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #19121688th Feb 2018 10:38 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

was the old drivers mirror working in the correct up/down manor ?

Post #19122398th Feb 2018 1:13 pm
ianrichardson

Pete
That is a very good question and one I am embarrassed to say I can't remember!
I seem to recall that the mirror glass didn't move at all, up/down, in/out but I wouldn't like to swear to that!
So many bits on the car have been 'looked at' i.e. you can see evidence of bolts and screws being undone etc. that I am at a loss to know what is original LR and therefore as it should be and what is bodge!

With regard to the mirrors, why not replace like with like? Why did someone remove the Bluetooth module?
When trying to replace the glow plugs, why put a ball bearing into one you have sheared halfway down and not get proper help to extract it?
To my knowledge it hasn't spent most of its like in Africa where these things might be the only answer!

Ian

Post #19122508th Feb 2018 1:35 pm
Pete K

well I guess the first step is to refit the old mirror to test. (or plug it in at least)

Post #19122578th Feb 2018 1:44 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

ok … this is all conjecture, but as someone who's fixed Punto rear light issues a few times now I think the extra earth-wire probably indicates the original one isn't carrying (enough) current. so the "fix" is provide a new earth connection.

if this is the side where you have unexpected mirror movement, then (as per Punto rear light discotheque-effects ) it may be the return path is through some other wire(s). the fact it's a reversal of what you expected is probably quite arbitrary.

as for the ball-bearing in the glow-plug ? stunning.

Post #19122678th Feb 2018 2:03 pm
ianrichardson

Pete and Hardware17 thanks for your replies.
The original mirror is in the bin because it was so corroded inside it was going to be no use as a spare casing even!
The mirror motor unit of a non power fold, non memory mirror has 3 flat bladed connector, the memory one has a 6 pin plug and socket to the motor unit.
Where the mirror itself bolts on the door there are two cable looms, one does the mirror motor with its memory function if it has it fitted, the other loom has the power fold wires from the power fold motor in the base of the mirror.

As I said I have tried a brand new motor unit with memory function and I still have the same result.

What I have found out by taking bits apart is that the motor simply reverses - + / - to make the mirror go up or down, in or out, nothing fancy.
So the earth thing I doubt will affect the motor in this way simply because if it goes up and down or in and out it has a return earth path to operate at all.
Also the mirror motor on the memory version mine, is via the memory unit under the seat so it can remember where the mirror was set. It doesn't use stepper motors.

Is it possible to swap a nand nor in logic circuits?
Someone could have swapped the connections on the multi-pin connector on the memory module I suppose. I will have to get down on my hand and knees and do a bit of detective work to work out if all the colours are going to their correct pins etc.
But why go to all that trouble rather than go to a scrap yard and buy a correct replacement mirror????

Hardware17, my son has a Peugeot 206 and the earthing on that causes some interesting lighting effect both outside and on the instrument cluster. The latest thing is the heater fan motor resistor!! Considering the complexity of a modern Land Rover they aren't that bad compared with other manufacturers!
Change any audio bit on a modern Audi and it has to be coded to the car via the factory server - Monday to Friday 8.00 - 17.00 only!!

Ian

Post #19122978th Feb 2018 2:47 pm
Pete K

I think the motor system is 3 wire.

Thus 1 wire is common to both motors.
So I don't think you can get the wires the wrong way round??

As you first thought, disconnect the battery for a reset, just incase its a computer error!

If that doesn't sort it, I guess you will just have to swap 2 wires on the motor!

Post #19124378th Feb 2018 7:11 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >