Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Close Call...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3
Close Call...

In the 'not too recent' past, I've enquired about others with power issues - specifically the fall off of power under load!

In this regard, last Friday, we were about a quarter the way up a mountain pass when my beloved Alaska White lost power. This is about the third time this has happened in the same place... Shocked

Only this time, we (the Mrs, our two small children and I) were in the right hand lane and when attempting to get off the road and out of the way, we were nearly taken out by a LC 200 cruising (excuse the pun) up the pass behind us. The danger was very real and serious injury was a certainty, were it not for the good reactions of the Cruiser driver... who made his anger at my actions, knowen to all within ear shot...

When we were safely within the confines of the yellow lane, I switched the car off and noted a message 'engine fault' on the dash. When I restarted, the car was fine and off we went without any problems... Confused

Now the Mrs. is not happy about going anywhere in the Alaska White. because she reckons (with fair reason) it's not safe.

The last time this happened, the dealer could not find the fault - except to say that their fault finder registers 'turbo over-boost' but that there is nothing they can do about it.... Confused

Sooooooo! Have any of you had similar problems Question

Post #60525417th Feb 2010 9:37 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I have, check the forum for others experiences, mine has been into the dealer 3 times with full ECU reset, turbo replaced and manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor replaced, one more time and after seeing the farcical circus that LR seem to run, from examples on this very forum, I will ditch it, Fantastic piece of kit in theory but in practice I would never ever trust it more than a couple of hours from a main dealer. If my wife behaved the way Discovery has then she would be divorced.

My dealer is very good, my Defender was excellent, but the Disco, well look on here and make your own mind up, love / hate comes to mind!

Post #60532917th Feb 2010 10:43 pm
Kabous

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 4

I assume you have a TDV6, which year ? current Mileage? , were you towing at the time? Any mods done on the vehicle? Do you do serious off roading ? Not that I have an answer but it might help others to point you in a direction.
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #60564218th Feb 2010 2:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kabous

Oh yes have a look at this topic: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic42043.html
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #60566018th Feb 2010 2:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JR

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

Kabous wrote:
I assume you have a TDV6, which year ? current Mileage? , were you towing at the time? Any mods done on the vehicle? Do you do serious off roading ? Not that I have an answer but it might help others to point you in a direction.

2005 TDV6 SE
120'000km's
Was towing a small trailer filled with 4 clothes bags, 4 duvets and 6 pillows - the car was empty.
No mods done
Yes, we have done some fairly serious off-roading, but as a family, not the usual Hilux balls to the wall stuff.

Cheers

JR

Post #60585718th Feb 2010 7:21 pm
Kabous

Remember to check the link above , I think the sollution is there.
Cheers
 White MY2011 SDV6 HSE  
Post #60612719th Feb 2010 6:14 am
Brucehun

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
V8 rules

Never such a problem with my V8 Wink

Post #60612919th Feb 2010 7:11 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Ner Ner Bruce Laughing (and Heine for good measure)

JR - open your bonnet, locate the fat black pipe that links the intercooler to the engine air intake - it is on the driver's side of the vehicle near the front and between the air filter box and the radiator. Look at where it connects to the engine air intake, and shine a torch down to look at where it connects to the bottom of the intercooler. if you see greasy stuff emanating from the ends of the pipe, then you probably have found your problem.
Squeeze the pipe between your fingers. It should feel nice and soft and flexible (with the engine off). If it feels brittle, more proof that it should be replaced.

Post #60685220th Feb 2010 2:27 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >