DISCO3.CO.UK > Group Buys

[Closed] Group Buy - D3 / D4 Stainless Sill Protectors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
mik

Scotland 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4
[Closed] Group Buy - D3 / D4 Stainless Sill Protectors

PLEASE NOTE - THIS GROUP BUY HAS NOW ENDED! Smile

I’m organising a GB on sets of stainless steel sill protector plates (also referred to as Kick Plates) etched with the word “DISCOVERY”.

Like all the best group-buys, the more people that sign up to this the greater the discount available. Price breaks available are :-

>> 20-29 participants = £36.00 per set
>> 30-39 participants = £34.00 per set
>> 40+ sets = £30.00 per set

The prices above include both VAT and delivery to your door (assuming you are a UK based forum member).

Rather than ramble on, I’ve decided to pre-empt questions below. Anything I’ve missed – please ask.

Q1. What is the Group Buy?
You can’t have forgotten already FFS? Confused This group buy is for a set of Stainless Steel door sill protector plates, etched with the word “DISCOVERY” (in capitals).

Q2. Are you making these yourself mik?
No sir – the plates will be made as a job lot by the reknowned Lockwood International, so you can be assured they will both fit properly, and look the part.

Q3. But Lockwood international currently make these with a geometric pattern on them for a smidge less £ss don’t they?
That is correct (and very observant of you Wink ). The plates on offer via this GB however are etched with the word “DISCOVERY”. Lockwood don’t currently market this version, and don’t plan to again.
Please note: They did sell these previously, and they may even have been a couple of quid cheaper, but I'm assured the price of stainless steel varies, the value of shares may go down as well as up, and the prices quoted are the prices on offer for this group-buy. If you do not like the prices quoted please feel free to unparticipate (is that a word?). Embarassed

Q4. So what will they look like?
I’ve attached 2 images. The first is the standard Lockwood “geometric pattern” D3/D4 sill guards. The 2nd image is the engraving template that will be used in place of the geometric pattern. Just for us.

Click image to enlarge

Q5. Is this Group-Buy for the front doors only?
No way Jose– as you can see in the pictures, this GB covers the requirements for all four of your Disco3 or Disco4 doors!

Q6. I like the concept, but I’m not sure about the text “DISCOVERY”. Can I have mine with either “DISCO3”, “Land Rover” or “I Like Turtles” ?
Sorry buddy – GB savings are based upon a single manufacturing batch of identical sill plates. It’s “DISCOVERY” only on offer here I’m afraid.

Q7. I demand that I make a donation to Disco3.co.uk! Mad
Don’t panic – you'll be making a £1.50 donation to this lovely forum simply via participation in this group-buy!

Q8. So how do I pay?
For simplicity to Lockwood and to keep their prices down, all payments will be made to my paypal account. I shall PM details to you once you express an interest. The above prices are based upon “gift” payments to me to avoid paypal fees – if you’d wish to have the extra protection that paypal offers via “normal” payments, then you’ll need to pay an extra 3.4% + 20p. (For example – if the group buy price is the full £36.00 then you pay £36.00+£1.22+£0.20 = £37.42 but don’t mark it as a gift – I will therefore receive £36.00).

Q9. Will you send the sill guards to me once they are manufactured mik?
I shall make a single “group buy” payment to Lockwood, and they will then make and dispatch individual sets direct to your door. Please note that prices quoted are for UK addresses only. I have not, and (just ‘cos I can’t be bothered) will not consider arranging dispatch outside of the UK.

Q10. How much are you making out of this mik?
This isn’t a business venture for me – I’m purchasing a set of these for my good wife’s disco, and I shall be paying the same as everyone else participating. (less rounding of prices – which will account for a couple of quid).

Q11. I want to pay the lowest amount possible – how do I do this?
Me too! I am a Scotsman after all. The only way for us to achieve this is by breaching the price-breaks detailed above through larger numbers of group-buy participants. I suggest you only add your name to the GB if you are willing to pay the MAXIMUM amount quoted based on the smallest potential uptake – any further discounts achieved are a bonus.

Q12. So how does that work then?
I’ll leave the participant list until the end of July (mainly so it doesn’t end whilst I’m on my holybags). The total number interested by this date determines the discount we achieve, and therefore the end price we all agree to pay. I won’t take any money from anyone until we reach this point.

Q13. What if we don’t get enough interest to reach the initial price-break (ie 20 participants)?
Then I am afraid the deal is off ladies & gents. I shall thank you for your participation, you shall send me no money, and you shall receive no sill plates in return.

Q14. But I would have been happy to pay another couple of quid to get them! They’d still be much cheaper than others I see for sale!
I do not disagree, but to save my fragile mind, I won’t attempt to go back and renegotiate a price for 17 sets, as you then get into a logic loop around the revised-price. You may well be happy to pay an extra £2, but other participants may not be. They then drop out, which decreases the number of group buy participants, which increased the costs, which causes more folks to drop out etc etc etc. (We could be here for some time).

Q15. I expressed an interest, but I did this in the hope we’d achieve maximum discount. We didn’t…. so I’m afraid I’m now backing out.
Looks like you may compromise the group-buy for everyone else! If you do this please realise all other forum members may consider you to be a <insert>. I respectfully refer you to question 10.

Q16. How do they fit on? Do I need a plasma cutter, an air chisel, or some type of professional welding equipment to fit these?
No no no – like the other OEM and aftermarket sill guards, they affix using super-sticky double-sided tape (supplied). Fast & Easy. 8)

NOTE:
The image below shows a set of plates sold by forum member tasmod (for around £80) in a different group buy approx 3rs ago. I am NOT claiming this to be an image of the items from this group buy, but they look rather like I expect these ones will look, so thought I'd post an image. Smile

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green

Last edited by mik on 31st Mar 2011 4:57 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #67081311th Jul 2010 11:16 pm
2DISCO3ORNOT

Cheers Mik, I'm in, the kids footy boots are wrecking the cills Thumbs Up

By the way at a cursory glance I didnt get what the product was for, the pic is a good idea.

Post #67217215th Jul 2010 11:01 am
outofyorkshire

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I Have had these from Lockwoods for 18 months.... the quality is V. Good Thumbs Up
Easy to fit...have never come loose ...save the sills for the rug rats shoes!!
Just been out & taken the pics so you can see what the look like with 18month wear from the kids !!

Rear plate

Front Plate

Cheers
Ian
 Cheers Ian
Massey Ferguson 400 FIS AGTV - Arctic Cat by any other name...
Citroen C3 Picasso for SWMBO so we can remember what fuel economy is!!
Member of the Narpy torch club 

Post #67219215th Jul 2010 11:32 am
mik

Thanks Ian - I was hoping that someone who had bought these previously might post some images of the actualy items. You would appear to be my fairy godmother Thumbs Up

Post #67219815th Jul 2010 11:42 am
2DISCO3ORNOT

Okay doubly convinced now, Mik is that a total of three poeple so far? Could be a long wait Yawn

Post #67221515th Jul 2010 12:02 pm
mik

6 in total at this point. Smile

(although 4 of those have joined in the last hour since I posted links in more "popular" areas of the forum).

Post #67221615th Jul 2010 12:05 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Bump, come on Guys this looks good.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #67223415th Jul 2010 12:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CMG

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

Would shipping to the US be an issue?
 17 Discovery 5 HSE Si6, Fuji White on brown | 07 LR3 SE 4.4 Java Black on Alpaca
Club V8/Club OCD

Post #67243415th Jul 2010 7:35 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

Just bumped the required up to 9 Thumbs Up
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #67246415th Jul 2010 8:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
whtdavid

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

one set for me please! will look nice on the D4

Post #67248315th Jul 2010 8:24 pm
chadders

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Just the Job!
Now up to 11

Post #67249415th Jul 2010 8:46 pm
mik

CMG wrote:
Would shipping to the US be an issue?

Not sure - I hadn't asked about any international shipping costs.... but (even though I said I wouldn't... mumble, grumble... Wink ) I'll ask the question.

Can you avise (PM me if you'd prefer) which state you are in? Just in case it affects the price.

Post #67250215th Jul 2010 9:04 pm
K3ITH

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Sill protection - Just what I need to stop the kids wearing through the sill paint!

My request makes a total of 12 - There has to be more takers!

Post #67271316th Jul 2010 12:39 pm
eck

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Do you have any idea how long this GB will run before the items are ordered?

Thanks

Post #67279316th Jul 2010 7:12 pm
K3ITH

England 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

eck,

Original post Q12 says - end of July...

Post #67280316th Jul 2010 7:56 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 12 123 ... 101112>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >