Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Clutch Problems!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
RDSElectrical

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Clutch Problems!

Hello, I am new to the world of Discos and am having a big problem with my D3 which I bought at the end of Nov 2010. The problem started mid Jan when I went to visit friends in the Highlands and the further we got up the Country the softer the clutch got and the engagement was virtually flat to the floor by the time I got there. After LRA came out the next day and said that the clutch was leaking from a small hose, so flatbedded it back to the dealer in Carlisle. 3 weeks later the same thing happened from home I could not select a gear and the Disco had to be taken back again on a flatbed. 2 weeks after that I noticed the signs again, rang the dealer and they said they would pick it up before it packed up completely, the next day they picked it up and before the guy got it the 30 miles back to the dealers it packed in again! Last weekend it happened again, and I am completely sick of it now! Apart from this issue the vehicle is awesome. It is an 08 plate D3 XS with 39k on the clock and is still covered from Land Rover Assist. Is this a common problem, or am I just unlucky? Thanks in advance

Post #78951125th Apr 2011 6:11 pm
Bushwanderer

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi RDSE & welcome,
This isn't normal.

I suspect that the clutch was "stuffed" when you kept driving it with the hose leak.

I guess they'll come to this decision eventually. Perhaps earlier with some motivation from you. Wink

Best Wishes,
Peter
 The Bearded Dragon  
Post #78962525th Apr 2011 11:04 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

There is a "known" fault where if the clutch gets warmed up it starts to loose its grip and gets warmer still until it has no drive at all. When it cools it can recover most of its efficiency. It seems this state can be brought about by one period of heavy use but it can linger on like this for a long time.

I say "known" because it is not admitted - possibly due to the high cost of replacing clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and release cylinder with the later parts, which is the only long term cure. Usually the XY sensors get confused, resulting in the disappearance of the gear selected display on the dash.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #78963125th Apr 2011 11:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >