Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Clutch Release bearing noisy and clutch judders....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
LittleClarks2

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Clutch Release bearing noisy and clutch judders....

Hello - I'm experencing a grating noise when pressing the clutch on a 63K mile D3 SE manual; it occours at the top of the pedal range. Coupled with this the pedal 'sticks' some times when releasing the clutch too and is occouring more frequently. At my last service Landrover (60K miles) identified the'clutch release bearing noisey and clutch judders poss reqs flywheel ass also' and quoted a cost to repair of £967.93 and suggested I watch to see if this gets worse which, unfortunatly, it is. Considering the cost before comitting to spend £1,000 any ideas gratefully recieved...

Post #69710926th Sep 2010 3:43 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Hi and welcome to the forum, at that age and mileage a replacement clutch and flywheel is certainly a possibility so I think the dealer have probably got it right. Unless you have any reason to think otherwise??
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #69711126th Sep 2010 3:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LittleClarks2

Hello and thanks for the prompt reply and welcome - my first forey on to a forum. I wondered if it might be a leaking hydraulics or similar and therefore a lot less expensive. My local dealership (Lookers Bishops Stortford) have been very good and saved me money in the past I have no real reason to doubt them but considering the costs involved I thought it sense to see if anyone else had had a similar problem, mindful my series 2 Disco did 100K miles with no mechanical problems at all. I have a call out to Lookers to book the car in and so I will report back what they say. Thanks again. As an aside, there are lots of very interesting things on the web site.

Post #69712526th Sep 2010 5:06 pm
Dave T

England 

Sounds about right, mine has been the same for ages now, but has not got any worse. I am leaving until I notice a worsening then will bite the bullet. You could always get parts from the lagr eone and see if a local garage or clutch fit centre would be cheaper.
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #69716326th Sep 2010 7:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LittleClarks2

My clutch problem has grown 100 fold; having taken the car to my local LR dealer they havnt managed to replicate the problem yet because the car is mis- firing which they need to sort out first (good). Testing the car I'm told two cylinders are below compression and need new injectors at £350 a piece (not so good). After these have been installed I'm told its not the injectors and they dont know what it is, possibly the head (bad), possibly the whole engine (very bad) and they cant tell me until they have got the glow plugs out, and these are so tightly fitted they cant get them out with out fear of them snapping off. Best case sinerio is a new head and clutch at £4500 or so and worst case a whole new engine and clutch at close to £8000!!! Apparently in both cases it an body off situation. As it stands at the moment I'm down two injectors and a whole load of labour with no real understanding of what the original problem is nor a handle on cost. Trying to see the positives here, if I have to buy a new engine should I replace it with something else which is more reliable, more economical, provides more power, enhances the car etc etc. Any thoughts on what, who and likely costs appreceated; I subscribe to Landrover Monthly and have read about RST Landrover in Colchester and JE Engineering in Coverntry both do new engines and who seem to have good names.

Post #70964529th Oct 2010 7:25 am
Russell

United Kingdom 

How old is the car and what mileage has it done. i know the clutch when it goes causes all sorts of other faults on the dash and within the car. Are you sure that the clutch issue is not causing your miss fire, perhaps a LR stealer rather than an independant might be worth a try, but I am sure someone with more knowledge will be along soon. One last thought, why not try TFC
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #70966129th Oct 2010 8:39 am
bellautos

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

£967.93 all in seems cheap

LR005809 CLUTCH KIT £240.85
LR014290 SLAVE CYLNDER £54.12
4602296 FLYWHEEL £293.77
PSK500040 FLYWHEEL BOTLS £3.47
TMX500040 XYZ SWITCH which may as well be changed while the gearbox is off £129.04

All plus VAT total = £847.46

Pete

Post #70970729th Oct 2010 11:06 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >