Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Command Shift on 8 speed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DeeJay

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Marmaris TealDiscovery 4
Command Shift on 8 speed

When in normal D and Command shift selected via the paddles, after a short period it re-selects D, in sport mode it does not re-select D. This is fine and states this in the manual. Thumbs Up But what about if you are off road and negotiating some really ruff stuff and you select Com shift surly you would not want the vehicle to shift back to D and maybe change up a couple of gears at the wrong time Confused What do you guys reckon, anyone had experience of this Rolling Eyes

Post #9987275th Nov 2012 5:36 pm
Paul White

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

It'll stay in Sport mode if you are in low ratio, which you should be offroad Wink Thumbs Up

Paul

Post #9987355th Nov 2012 5:50 pm
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4

I haven't tried it but I suspect that when you use the command shift in an off road mode (Ice & Snow/ Forest Tracks for example) it'll stay in Command.

Bill Wright
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #9987365th Nov 2012 5:54 pm
Paul White

I spend a lot of time going across muddy and rutted fields and I can say categorically that if you are in Sport mode and in say, S3, it will stay in S3 until you use the paddles to go up or down a gear Thumbs Up

You must be in Low ratio though.

Paul

Post #9987385th Nov 2012 6:00 pm
Dave T

England 

If you are in sport mode, once you use the paddles it will stay in that gear until you change it (unless going too slow) or you hold the plus or select drive. It will also hold gear in drive if you take your foot off the throttle (I believe) Whistle
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #9987485th Nov 2012 6:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DeeJay

Thanks guys, some speak of sport mode when off road, where I appreciate it will not select D in sport mode should you be in sport mode off road or standard mode? I'm not questioning your comments as you are all more experienced than me but surely sport mode is for performance on road!!!

Post #9988615th Nov 2012 9:20 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

mine stays in command shift until i change gear or hold the - or + paddle for a few seconds.

it wont even drop down a gear if the road speed is too low or change up if too high - works just like a manual Thumbs Up
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #9988825th Nov 2012 9:47 pm
DeeJay

That's interesting Dunc. The manual says it will go back to auto if a shift of the paddles is not done for a while, but will stay in com mode in sport. Mine does just that, it will also change down if speed is too low or up shift if too fast Confused whether this changes if a terrain response mode is selected I don't know Neutral

Post #9989125th Nov 2012 10:31 pm
Dave T

England 

I'm going to LRE in a couple of weeks, I will let you know for sure! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #9989606th Nov 2012 8:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paul White

DeeJay,

Don't be fooled by the name "Sportmode"! It is not just for racing round country lanes!! Wink

When used for off road driving in conjunction with Low Ratio the paddles are used for gear changes as if it was a manual car. In other words, use the highest gear possible for any given terrain and use the Terrain Response controls in whatever conditions you are in (Mud/Ruts for example).

Also, have the car in the highest ride setting for added clearance when in soft conditions. Also keep an eye on the orientation of the wheels if very slippery (shown in the main display between the Temp guage and fuel guage).

Hope this helps

Paul

Post #9990176th Nov 2012 10:16 am
DiscoDunc

for normal off road driving you can just keep it in "D" and it will perfrom just fine - I only use manual when things get a bit more extreme. I havtn taken the D4 in the same extreme conditions as I did the D3, but the principle is the same.

however, its a lot more difficult to change gear using the paddles than it is using the gear selector on the D3, as when the steering wheel is turned 180 degrees everything is back to front Evil or Very Mad
 Duncan
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #9990246th Nov 2012 10:23 am
Paul White

I agree with you entirely, Duncan on the paddle shifts, why they didn't design the thing where the paddles stay at 9 and 3 I have no idea!

Also I agree you can drive perfectly ok with Drive, I just find it is easier to set everything up when going into a field by changing to Command etc. If you saw the conditions we have in our area at the moment, it's a wonder we get anywhere off road! Thank god for the Disc 4!!!!

Paul

Post #9990286th Nov 2012 10:28 am
DiscoDunc

Thumbs Up

the paddles are great in a straight line but a nightmare in corners.

we went to the Alps in september and there were some great 180 degrees steep bends, however, i had to keep it in drive as i couldnt put several turns in the steering wheel and change the gears at the same time Thud

kept ending up over revving cos had to wait until steering wheel had stopped moving before i could change up a gear. ok some of the time but just became a pain after a while
 Duncan
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD

Post #9990316th Nov 2012 10:32 am
DeeJay

Thanks very much for your help Paul, Dunc and all Bow down That's cleared that one up for me, it was the sport mode terminology that confused me. I wrongly assumed that this was for fast road driving Thumbs Up Seeing as you guys are well up with the D4. It states in the handbook that the ambient (mood) lighting can be altered to on/off or auto mode supposedly found in the extra's menu, can't find it in my D4 Exclamation Also it says there is a setting for AVC auto volume control to adjust speed related volume can't find that either, any ideas Confused

Post #9991036th Nov 2012 2:12 pm
Dave T

England 

Ok, just back from the land rover experience at dunkeld and this is my take on how to use the knob.

In sport it will hold gear once selected to any particular gear as long as you are going fast enough for that gear and will only revert to auto if plus held for two seconds or drive is selected.

In drive, it will hold selected gear if you are not under power, ie foot off the throttle, but will return to auto if under power for ten seconds. We went down several large muddy hills today in drive but manually selecting a gear. You can also try this on the road, going down a hill where you can coast, select a gear, it will hold that gear quite happily.

On other hills, that weren't too severe it was quite happy in auto in drive, it is just so capable.

They also posed another interesting point which I haven't read or thought off before, on the road in high range, if it is slippery use grass/gravel/snow instead of normal. This will bring all the electronics to a higher state of readiness and therefore quicker to react and the throttle will be a little less responsive until you get to around 80% when it will react normally. Anyone got any thoughts?

Another interesting point, the chief instructor said he had spoken to the landrover gearbox designer and pointed out the automatic reselection of auto when in drive, and that this was not supposed to happen? Will we get a software update to change it I wonder?

Hope this clears it up, I'm sure there will be more queries on it. Whistle Whistle Whistle
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #100917425th Nov 2012 10:25 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >