Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Commercial under floor lights? Anyone done it?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
M4J17

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Commercial under floor lights? Anyone done it?

Hi, I have a Commercial Discovery 4. i.e. the van version

Under the "floor" is loads of space where the feet of the rear passengers would go and where the seats would fold into if it was a 5 or 7 seater.

Has anyone fitted a light in that space?

Where is the best place to tap into the interior lights? What light did you use?

Has anyone drilled through floor and put recessed led lights in?

Or should I just keep a torch in the door bin?

Post #168438925th Jul 2016 4:57 pm
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

I use mine to store 'long and bulky' stuff' such as:

Theodolite tripod - access from passenger side
5m staff (condensed down to approx 1.2m overall length)
2 X golf umbrellas (1 facing each door in case of bailing out in pouring rain)
Theodolite in shockproof case - driver's side
Wet weather high-viz gear, crammed into spaces to stop it all rattling

I daren't put lights in there with that lot as they would be short-lived and, anyway, I can identify most of it from the side...

The added benefit is that most of this would otherwise need restraining if I simply stashed it in the back of the vehicle!
 D4 Commercial - 65 Plate, 2016MY

D5 Commercial - Handed back when I left that job…
D4 Commercial (2014MY) - gone
D4 Commercial SDV6 - Baltic Blue (also gone)
D1 300TDi... 2" lift, HD bumpers (both), detachable tow hitch, 9,500lb winch, 235/85/16 muds and plenty of other toys (gone to make way for the next toy...)

Smiles per Mile - Tornado Motorsports caged Evo 3... 100" Defender look-alike, with Range Rover running gear - all fully IVA'd and registered! 

Post #168452125th Jul 2016 9:40 pm
iyoti

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

It's a great storage space. I'd recommend replacing all your internal lighting bright white LED bulbs for better visibility, and throwing a torch or two in the door pockets if you need to rummage around under there at night.

Currently packed under my loadbed (note: I do a lot of travelling, both around the country and around Europe, so this list might seem... excessive Wink):

• a few large blue ikea bags, folded flat – because they are ridiculously useful.
  • a small blue ikea trolley. Very much like the yellow ones you "borrow" in store, not very expensive, but really handy if you have a load of shopping you want to get in the house quicker.
  • a number of "bags for life" for shopping runs.
  • a JML WonderBroom – had one for years, specifically for removing snow from the windscreens, lights, and roof before setting off. Only takes a minute or two, and there's no chance of a large block of snow sliding forward to cover the windscreen under breaking.**
  • travel kits for driving in France. I've pulled the high-vis vests out and have them in the passenger seat rear pocket so they're easily accessible without getting out of the car – they will fine you for leaving your vehicle without wearing one, even if you're going to the boot to grab one.
  • small tool boxes, specifically for road-side repairs. I'm not a tradesman; my van is used for haulage rather than carrying tools, so I like to have some small kits knocking about.
  • thick, warm blanket. I've had engine troubles over the past few months (which seem to be resolved now) that have left me hanging about at the side of the road waiting for LR road-side engineers to start their shifts, so I now carry a blanket to have a lay-out on the loadbed while I wait.
  • water-proof picnic blanket. sitting on damp grass is never fun.
  • first-aid kits.
  • small carrier bag filled with various cleaning gels/wipes.
  • small carrier bag filled with various winter items: hats, gloves, scarves. I don't like getting caught out when travelling from one end of the country to the other!

I'm definitely going to pick up a couple of golf umbrellas after looking at Lifted's list!

I've also got a fair few bungee straps of differing sizes hooked onto the "cage" (bulkhead) which come in very handy. I use the space between the bulkhead and seats for storing bulky coats, etc. when doing road-trips.

Large glovebox contains thermal hand-warmers, various painkillers and migraine tablets, misc. wipes, and a couple of small books for those occasions I need to kill time.

I spend a *lot* of time in my car. Average trips clock in at around 5hrs, 10hr+ journeys are not uncommon.

Also, don't forget that even though it's a commercial, the centre console is exactly the same as the standard ones, so you have 2 extra cup holders at the back if you reach over and pull them out. These can be really useful for long car journeys.

**Aside: it REALLY winds me up when I see cars on the road covered in thick blankets of snow with just a small, misty porthole so the driver can see... It's SO dangerous! I've seen so many accidents because of these numpties who didn't clear their windscreen. I wish police would stop and fine these drivers heavily for this. /rant
 2016MY Discovery 4 Commercial , 3.0 SDV6 Auto, Santorini Black, side-steps, 510s.

Mods: LED interior lights. Front guard.
Soon: black grille, tinted windows. 

Post #169119012th Aug 2016 8:42 am
M4J17

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Thanks for the tip about the cup holders in the rear of the centre concole. Had not thought of that !

Last week drove to Zurich and then back via Le Mans so starting to do some long trips. Under the load bed is now rammed with things which are useful but will never be used! Be prepared!

It is a great car for long runs. Love the air suspension. Really eats the miles and is not wearing on your body.

Post #169120412th Aug 2016 9:18 am
iyoti

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

That's the main reason I bought it; long journeys fly by when you're basically sat in an armchair listening to a high-quality sound system!
 2016MY Discovery 4 Commercial , 3.0 SDV6 Auto, Santorini Black, side-steps, 510s.

Mods: LED interior lights. Front guard.
Soon: black grille, tinted windows. 

Post #169121212th Aug 2016 10:07 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >