Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Compressor, Built in or stand alone?!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
dduring

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Compressor, Built in or stand alone?!

Again aimed at the guys that know. I own a relatively useable stand alone compressor, but I am leaning towards having one built in. Anybody's thoughts on that?! Suggestions what make to look at?

Post #47324728th May 2009 3:01 pm
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

I have a stand alone that I'm just waiting for a "Baben Bracket Whistle " so that I can mount it permanently in front of the battery box. Standalone is OK but a pain in the ass every time I need to get it out the wolff pack and back again .

I have the 4x4 megaworld twin head one . It is very quick and was reasonably priced

Post #47325728th May 2009 3:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Or use the existing one. Whistle

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic34715.html
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47331228th May 2009 5:21 pm
Doc

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

CaverD3, I have been following this thread on the Ozzie forum but I must admit that I am a bit weary to tap into the on-board compressor in case something goes wrong Shocked

I have a large twin piston T-Max compressor which I wanted to mount in the RHS front battery box but it is a bit too long to fit Big Cry So I have resigned myself to hunting around in the back, like Heine, for the compressor Evil or Very Mad
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #47334928th May 2009 6:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
caverD3

The only effect I can see in taking air off the tank will have is to make the compressor work a little more. The more you use it the more it will work. Just airing tyres up and down uses virtually no air in comparison to what is in the tank.
Having a separate compressor is just less convenient I suppose. The best way would be to put a compressor and tank on the opposite side.
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #47351829th May 2009 2:14 am
Doc

CaverD3, I hear what you say BUT I am still a bit nervous about using the vehicle's compressor. Maybe I need to read the Ozzie forum posts on this more carefully and then decide what to do. A LITTLE KNOWLEDGE IS VERY DANGEROUS BUT BETTER THAN NO KNOWLEDGE AT ALL Whistle
 D3 2005 HSE V8 model, snorkel, nudge bar, uprated tow hitch (12T), Goodyear Wrangler MTR (MT) tyres, National Luna battery box, Outback roof-rack, Takla seat covers.  
Post #47352329th May 2009 6:15 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I'll get the bracket whipped out this weekend, Heine, then we just need someone to fabricate a few. Will post some pics as well

Post #47353529th May 2009 7:45 am
heine

South Africa 2009 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Alaska WhiteDiscovery 3

SO my not too subtle hints have been paying off then Mr. Green

Post #47374429th May 2009 3:05 pm
Discoeast

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

caverD3 I do think it is a good idea ( after being kicked in
the n Censored s on a poor reply in another post "deserved
" Thumbs Up ) would the heat build in the compressor not be a
problem at some stage ?
 D3 bullbar-spots-roof rack with spots-ladder-long range tank-swing out spare wheel carrier- upgraded tow bar-dash console-internal water tank-duel awnings-drawer system & T T.  
Post #47399129th May 2009 10:28 pm
caverD3

The best thing about the D3 compressor is it has a heat sensor and cuts off to prtect it when it gets hot. Thumbs Up
Doc, if you can a get an air tank from a wrecked D3 you couls attach it to the other side (back to front) and sling the cmpressor on the other side. Idea
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #47404930th May 2009 3:48 am
Doc

Good idea CaverD3 Thumbs Up Now just to find a trashed D3 Whistle

This weekend I tried again unsuccessfully to mount my twin piston T-Max compressor in the spare battery box. The unit is about 2 cm too long even with the base plate removed Evil or Very Mad So I have opted in the meantime to mounting the compressor on top of my spare battery (National Luna grey box) in the load bin. The compressor is wired to the spare battery and is very conveniently situated. It just makes a hell of a noise in the cabin Rolling Eyes
[/img]
Post #4747081st Jun 2009 8:00 am
caverD3

No wonder it makes a noise it looks like a workshop compressor. Laughing
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #4747181st Jun 2009 8:52 am
Doc

Noisy it is Exclamation But is sure pumps a tyre quickly. It draws about 45 Amps so I only run it with the engine running Whistle
Post #4747221st Jun 2009 8:55 am
Deondef

South Africa 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Doc

Looking at the picture I noticed your fire extinguisher - I have pondered this location but reckoned that the plastic cover would be too flimsy. Did you support the bracket at the back of the cover ?
 Erstwhile - D3 S '07. Dual battery system. Upgraded tow hitch. Mantec skid plate. Frontrunner rr. Tmax double headed built in compressor

Defender TD5 110 CSW '00. "With everything" 

Post #4752072nd Jun 2009 1:52 pm
Doc

Hi Deon, I supported the bracket by placing some 6 mm ply blocks behind the moulded plastic (easy to get to via the donkie-piel door) and just attached the bracket using 4 self-tapping screws. No problems after 18 months Thumbs Up
Post #4752082nd Jun 2009 1:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >