DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Compressor Guard
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 
Compressor Guard

Got my baby up on the hoist today to see how I could make a compressor guard.
What I was thinking of doing is mounting an ally plate that would run from the back of the air tank to the front of the rear wheel arch. There is a body to chassis bolt between the compressor and air tank. Then at the rear of the compressor I should be able to fix a mount to the front wishbone pivot bolt. Once I have the 2 mounts sorted it would be just a case of cutting an ally plate to the right shape weld some strengthening ribs into it and hey ho sorted. Confused
 In the Beginning there was nothing, which exploded.  
Post #768268th Aug 2006 7:47 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

M10 rivnuts might help Wink
The rock slider mounts might be useful too

Post #768358th Aug 2006 8:02 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jamo

Australia 

Sounds great! Very Happy Don't forget the pics when it's done!

I've always thought that that was a very vulnerable area and can't understand why LR didn't protect such an important piece of kit better! Confused
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #768908th Aug 2006 10:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
disco4x4au

Australia 

After my experience with the compressor's vulnurability a couple of weeks ago, I'm in the process of doing this at the moment.

First thing though, was to remove the compressor mounting plate and modify it so that it sits 10mm or so higher up, that way not protruding below the level of the chassis rails. My plate is 3mm steel, and starts just in front of the compressor's lower plastic housing and runs back to the rear wheel arch.

I should have the plate (and one to protect the lower point of the exhaust pipes) manufactured by the end of the week and will fit them over the weekend. I'll post pics when it's ready.

Cheers,

Gordon
 ex - 2006 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, with lots of stuff - R.I.P.
ex - 2009 D3 TDV6 SE, silver, had lots of stuff too!
Now - 2010 RRS 3.0 TDV6, rimini red, 18" rims + Cooper LTZ, rear eLocker, Spider tuning box, GOE protection plates and rock sliders, GOE 3way shortened rods. 

Post #769289th Aug 2006 1:35 am
Jamo

Australia 

Gordon, could you take pics of each stage of the fitting proces, so that we can see exactly what you've done.

I'm very interested in this.
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #769329th Aug 2006 3:02 am
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

disco4x4au wrote:

I should have the plate (and one to protect the lower point of the exhaust pipes) manufactured by the end of the week and will fit them over the weekend. I'll post pics when it's ready.

Yes! Please start a new modification thread with before and after photos if possible! Cheers, NW

Post #769359th Aug 2006 3:46 am
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

This is interesting stuff and I reckon there is a market for a protection plate for the air tank and compressor.

My air tank has a nasty graze and I wonder how thick the steel is. All it takes is a sharp rock and I reckon it would pierce the tank. My compressor plastic cover also coped a stick through the bottom which split it open - had to araldite the split which has held up so far.

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #769999th Aug 2006 11:42 am
Jamo

Australia 

I reckon if I break something like the compressor, I won't have to worry about LR Assist. My wife will bury me and the car out in the bush and walk home!
 Have a nice day!
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #770019th Aug 2006 11:49 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >