Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Compressor replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 
Compressor replacement

Had my Disco 3 a few weeks now and since I got it I have had the suspension light coming on intermittently , usually after a mile or two and the warning of failure on the dash. Put it into my trusted mechanic who cleared all the faults, reset the sensors etc and then we waited for a while before rechecking the faults and he has said it is the compressor at fault. Annoying as the car had a replacement about 2 years ago according to the receipts I got with the car. He has said that every time he has fitted a cheap compressor he has had to replace it within a couple of years but I note there are some on ebay for around £200 with a two year warranty which would probably see out my time with the car. Its a Hitachi compressor by the way and I was wondering peoples thoughts and experiences on sourcing replacements.

Post #206132915th Jun 2019 10:29 am
garrycol

Australia 

Just rebuild what you have - will work fine.

Post #206133515th Jun 2019 11:01 am
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

Not sure I have the time, the facilities or the skills to be honest.

Post #206137315th Jun 2019 3:21 pm
nickbos

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I get the same - an intermittent bong with the air-suspension, although (touch wood) I haven't had one for many weeks now. I think a lot of them were caused taking the parking break off on broken ground (gravel drive) as the suspension was inflating to running height - the vehicle would move slightly which would fire off a fault. Can't recall it happening on solid ground or when on the road.

As a result of this I've spent around £140.00 on a spare AMK compressor which was recovered from one of the trillions of Disco3s that have entered the "beyond economical repair" zone and are now being broken for parts - the seller had a vehicle that suffered a thrown drive belt with the result that the engine went South. He'd just paid to have the auto-gearbox removed and overhauled too which added to the pain.

If you do decide to go for a secondhand AMK unit, you will need a software update as the Hitachi (and the many el-cheapo clones around) and the AMK run on different currents (1.0A -v 0.5A; see a previous forum post). Personally, I'd not fit an el-cheapo clone as you could be making a rod for your own back, with the ag of having to swap it out when it fails. OK, so the import agent/retailer offers a two year warranty?

Depends on the truck I suppose? If it's a stop gap ownership, and it's not in the greatest of condition, go for cheap and cheerful and keep your fingers crossed. I'm rather hoping to get another 50,000 miles out of mine....

Cheers.

Post #206149416th Jun 2019 10:31 am
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

Well its been a bit pf a Censored really. I replaced the Hitachi compressor with the genuine part and the light still comes on. Car drives fine, doesnt go down on suspension no matter how long its left for but the orange light and usual suspension message appears. Usually comes on after a mile or so but can go a full day occasionally without appearing. Sensors have all been re checked and calibrated as above so not sure what next step is or what may be the fault..

Post #206477728th Jun 2019 10:02 pm
Mogwyth

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Have you had the fault codes read?

Checked tyre pressures?
 ==================================
05 D3 HSE V8 4.4
04 MG TF 135
03 MG TF 115 Cool Blue Edition
02 MG TF 160
00 Hymer B564 Lionheart
1971 Series III 109

Post #206478728th Jun 2019 10:50 pm
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

yes my pal who has the garage read and said it indicated compressor, though i cant recall exactly what it said. He is a long term range rover owner so not inexperienced .

Post #206479729th Jun 2019 1:24 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

SteveYorks wrote:
Well its been a bit pf a Censored really. I replaced the Hitachi compressor with the genuine part and the light still comes on. Car drives fine, doesnt go down on suspension no matter how long its left for but the orange light and usual suspension message appears. Usually comes on after a mile or so but can go a full day occasionally without appearing. Sensors have all been re checked and calibrated as above so not sure what next step is or what may be the fault..

My very strong recommendation is to get someone with an IID tool to reload the firmware for the compressor. Check which compressor you replaced it with (assuming not a Hitachi) and reload. Even if you did replace with a Hitachi, reload the firmware.

Just needs an IID tool.

Start there. Takes maybe 5 mins.
 PAGODA  
Post #206479829th Jun 2019 2:05 am
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

Forgive my ignorance but whats the firmware?

Post #206483129th Jun 2019 8:30 am
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

It's like the software to control and make it work, each compressor has it's own bespoke software.

Post #206484729th Jun 2019 9:18 am
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

Ah ok. I went for the oem Hitachi part after reports of premature failure or noisy running of spurious pumps. I will look into that then.

Post #206485629th Jun 2019 10:05 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

I had exactly the same fault as the OP. The compressor was replaced by LR under warranty. The fault continued. When checking the details using the IID tool, the tool said I had the car had an Hitachi compressor.

I contacted the excellent team at IID, who suggested I change the firmware to the AMK version. I did that using the tool, and haven't had a problem in two years.

(BTW, I could have that the wrong way around, i.e. car had AMK, changed for Hitachi, etc, but you get the idea. Change it and see what happens. Bottom line was that my LR dealer changed the compressor but never changed the firmware).
 PAGODA  
Post #206489029th Jun 2019 1:39 pm
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

I think I replaced like with like ie a genuine Hitachi compressor but as the fault was present before it could have had the wrong one fitted at some point and the previous owner lived with the fault light.

Post #206504830th Jun 2019 11:41 am
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

Apparently the fault indicated the air supply was low or something like that. My mechanic says when he has has this message previously on other LR s its always been the compressor at fault. I am now wondering if a leaky air tank might cause the same symptoms?

Post #20654241st Jul 2019 7:38 pm
SteveYorks

United Kingdom 

Well just to update you all, because I hate unfinished posts, it was a leak in the air tank which I believe was the original one. It looked not too bad until removed and then it was apparent the top had all corroded and it was not holding air under pressure. Replaced with the genuine part and now all is well.

Post #20670178th Jul 2019 9:30 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >