Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Compressor or something's else?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
kiwidis3

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yeah thinking more about this compressor and it still wants to move to extended mode rather than lower ride height. It always trys to go up. It doesn't seem like its struggling to get air but more like an electrical/computer problem. Maybe it could be the relays? I checked the fuses but their ok so I guess I will possibly go for the rebuild kit and check the relays.

Cheers bud

Post #10288984th Jan 2013 10:50 am
mrsclayton

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I took my compressor off at the weekend and checked the silica gel, its supposed to be a clear/milky colour and whole beads.. if you get your drier off have a look at the silica, if its yellow/broken or totally turned to dust you need to replace it. Its a simple job to do.. even for a woman!!

Post #10289084th Jan 2013 11:04 am
Olddiver

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Compressor or Something's Else

When the yellow instrument warning lamp bonged up on my 90,000 miler, using the brilliant instructions on this site, Bow down I stripped off the compressor. This took a bit of time which included accidentially breaking off the top bolt section of the mounting bracket though more about that later. I did buy the rebuild kit but found it was not much use really particually as it did not contain new desiccant and a lot of the ally parts on the old unit were corrored. After I got the desiccant out it went into the microwave for about 4 minutes. Re-assembled the unit and fitted it back onto the vehicle and off I went. No software problems, pumping up and down with ease. I was concerned about the loss of the top bolt but 10,000 miles on...no problem.
However....after this 10,000 miles, horror of horrors....BONG....and up shone the suspension warning lamp. Now one thing that did concern me at the time of drying out the desiccant was this. How do we know to what level of dryness was achcieved with the wonderful microwave method of recovery? Subsequent answer after removing the bl...y compressor again; shove a dampness meter into the pile of white balls. Low and behold this cheap'o meter buzzed away like an angry hive. So instead of a quick few minutes in the micro wave I first heated the stuff for about two periods of 3 minutes and then 15 minutes at 50c in a fan oven with the door slightly open. After the desiccant had cooled down I checked the moisture content with the cheep'o meter and ....nothing! No buzz. Just silence. So the unit is back together and running fine and still held onto the chassis with just two bolts. And of course doing a removal and refit for a second time it was much, much quicker. And yes I did replace the relay.
Cheers.

Post #10290794th Jan 2013 3:32 pm
mrsclayton

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Yeah I replaced the relay and I made sure I had the new captive nuts/clips aswell. I did think about drying out the silica beads but thought it best to buy new ones which only took a few days to come by post and cost under £10.

While I was at it I had new top and lower covers and they where cracked, also removed the foam of death as its useless!

If I the suspension fault again (normal height only) I'm going to check the filter and sensors.

Post #10290824th Jan 2013 3:38 pm
kiwidis3

Righto cheers fellas check/replace the beads of the dryer and check/replace the relays. Hopefully that's the ticket

Post #10293514th Jan 2013 11:12 pm
kiwidis3

so I finally got around to partially rebuilding my compressor last week. I changed the relays and put new beads in, the problem of the suspension fault still comes up just less often. I have the two rebuild kits ready to go for tomorrow to be fitted in but just wandering if I'm wasting my time.

All is good until I hit uneven ground in normal or extended mode, then the stupid suspension fault appears with its ding. I'm now thinking could it be the dynamic stability control function messing around? It just doesn't seem like a compressor fault. It has no trouble rising and lowering.

what do you guys think?

Mike

Post #106043222nd Feb 2013 5:44 pm
kiwidis3

So today I fitted the I compressor overhaul kit. Changed over the exhaust valve with new spares, checked and cleaned compressor head inside. In the kit bag I got from TLO was a spare large thin o-ring, large spring, white plastic ring and 4 star screws. What are these for or where do they go? I followed old mates' compressor overhaul photo guide and it didnt mention these parts.

Anyway the suspension fault still pops up. Getting bloody annoying. I'm not 100 percent sure buying a new compressor will solve the problem/issues. The faults come up when you drive over a kerb and the disco has the side roll motion or just running normally.

Any thoughts are appreciated fellas please. Wheel/suspension level sensors???? Is that something????

Mike

Post #106106023rd Feb 2013 5:29 pm
kiwidis3

Anyone got an idea?

Post #107343618th Mar 2013 1:31 am
garrycol

Australia 

What do the codes tell you - should point you in the direction to look.

Garry

Post #107344218th Mar 2013 3:49 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >