Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Confused Newb! - Is Landrover the right Choice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
addicted to nurburgring

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

sock wrote:
I'm new to the forum and I'm considering a D4 HSE or XS. I'm in the same position as the OP with my main concern being reliability.
The main reason I want a large 4x4 is I'm having problems with my back and as I'm 6"4 and 20 stone getting in and out of these types of vehicles is a blessing.
We have a 10 month old baby daughter and 3 large dogs so the extra room is also needed now.

I've been offered a great px by Chelmsford ( though I live in Herefordshire ) and roughly a £2500 discount on a new HSE. I'm tempted but looking at residuals of the disco 3 and the fact I do around 27000 miles per year I'm going to take a loss with depreciation.

My other concern is reliability . I understand that forums generally bring up threads on problems but I've read over the years so many issues with Landrovers that I am slightly concerned. It doesn't help having a father in law who is a contractor and has a Landcruiser. As soon as I mentioned I was considering buying a Land Rover the jokes strarted. He's informed me that he's not towing me when it breaks down!

Problem is that the D4 really it's the only vehicle that ticks all the boxes.

With regard to residuals, you will loose a good % on any car especially when you cover more that 2x the average mileage. That said, Disco 3's are holding up better that most. After 3 years and 36K miles, our 06?56 Disco HSE has retained 55% of it's value based on original purchase price Vs. trade in.

You will find horror reliability stories about every brand of car. Mercedes suffer from electrical issues, My Audi RS4 suffered suspension failure at 1,500 miles. This is a known problem as it affected the vast % of RS6's. I then found out that all Audi FSI engines suffer from excessive carbon build up, you have to change the oil every 3000 miles to try and avoid this issue.......I can go on an on. The owners of Audi's, BMW's, Toyota's etc rarely want to admit or discuss these issues. Fortunately, people are more honest on this forum

I know of 6 other D3's owned by friends. None of us have suffered major issues or experienced breakdowns. In 3 years, I've had a faulty parking sensor replaced under warranty and that's it. Wish I could say that same about the other "reliable" cars I have owned!
 Current:
2014 RRS 3.0 HSE
Porsche 997 GT3
BMW 118d SE
Past:
D4 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Auto
D3 HSE 2.7 TDV6 Auto 

Post #59014725th Jan 2010 11:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >