Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Considering another LR 🤔
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 
Considering another LR 🤔

Not sure anyone here will remember me apart from Martin (I hope 🤣) or if anyone is still here from back in the day but I’m considering a return to the fold unless I get loads of negative feedback 🤞

I hung up my last LR key 2015 and have had a trouble free period including 2 pretty good Milk Floats (Martin will understand 🤣) but the current Mazda CX60 PHEV has turned out to be a nightmare - I’m currently attempting a rejection but if unsuccessful stand to lose about £20k over 11 months which limits my replacement budget Banging Head

So I’m now thinking it’s time to scratch my Discovery itch again as I need to tow a 2T caravan - still miss my D2 Metropolis Big Cry

What I would like is a low mileage late build fully loaded D4 - Am I crazy Rolling with laughter

I’m aware of the crankshaft lottery from 2 previous RRS and I don’t want to deal with LR so will be looking to use a good Indy - is Disco Mikey still around Bow down

Hopefully some old friends still here - “Hi” if you are Thumbs Up
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237008131st May 2024 12:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 


Member Since: 13 Aug 2010
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 14127

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nice to see you back, but my suggestion, which is totally what you don't want the hear, would be a Volvo XC90. Cracking car and 90% of a D4 without the pain. Thumbs Up
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 
 
Post #237008231st May 2024 12:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 

Hi there - good to see a familiar name - hope you’re well 👋

We talked about the first milk float iirc - would have another if it towed the van and they hadn’t left uk 🤦‍♂️

I was buying a Volvo before the Mazda but AD steered me away 🤣
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237008331st May 2024 12:32 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 


Member Since: 13 Aug 2010
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 14127

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Laughing

Its surprising how many on here have gone the Volvo route...

Maybe we need a XC90 section... Laughing
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 
 
Post #237008531st May 2024 12:37 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 

AD said his XC90 was great but then he got an XC60 and under Chinese ownership it was awful - he’s got a good X3 now but that’s not big enough to pull the van Banging Head

Not sure if Eaun is still around but saw he had an X5 last time I drove past his Shocked
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237008631st May 2024 12:43 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
gareth71
 


Member Since: 10 Apr 2016
Location: North-east Wales
Posts: 572

Wales 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Moo wrote:
Nice to see you back, but my suggestion, which is totally what you don't want the hear, would be a Volvo XC90. Cracking car and 90% of a D4 without the pain. Thumbs Up

I've had a D3 for the last 8 years, a D2 for 4 years before that. At the beginning of last year I was giving some consideration to swapping to a late-build D4 with 'all the trimmings', exactly like you're looking for. Experiences since then have led to a complete change of heart - I wouldn't consider buying another LR of any description now. When I change the D3, it'll almost certainly be for an XC90.
  
Post #237008931st May 2024 1:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 

Hi Gareth 👋

Sorry to read that but mirrors my feelings back in 2015 when I left the brand - I was hoping now I’ve had time to lick my wounds I would be ready to try again and I still get a warm fuzzy feeling when I see a LR - probably because it’s not mine 🤣
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237009231st May 2024 1:05 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Mr.Pastry
 


Member Since: 24 Nov 2010
Location: South Wales
Posts: 483

Wales 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Good to see you back here. I think we have chatted on the "milkfloat" forum.
I'm moving on from my two Phev things & seriously considering the Volvo petrol route.
Not looked at the Mazda options.
I'm still lurking here & still love the Discovery 4 but want a smaller car now. Wink
 Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2018.
Mitsubishi Outlander Phev 4H 2015 - gone.
Discovery 4 HSE - gone.
Discovery 3 S - gone.
Discovery 3 - gone.
Discovery 1 - gone.
Defender 90 300TDI - gone.
Defender 90 200TDI - gone.
Landrover 90 19J - gone.
Argocat 8x8 - gone.
Argocat 6x6 - gone
RR/LR V8 Hybrid 100" - gone.
Rangerover Classic 3.5 - gone.
Series III 2.25- gone.
Series IIa 3.0V6- gone.
Series I - 80" gone. 
 
Post #237009331st May 2024 1:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 

Hi again 👋

After the Mitsy I had a countryman PHEV which was great too but doesn’t tow anything not even a garden trailer 🤦‍♂️

Tim had one too and loved it - not sure if he’s still around 🤞

At home I pay 7.5p kWh but with the price of public chargers and more time towing/away now I’m retired I considered a Touareg V6 petrol last year before the Mazda but joined a group which scared me away - seeing a pattern here 🤣
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237009431st May 2024 1:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
MrTed
 


Member Since: 06 Jan 2023
Location: Rickmansworth
Posts: 137

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

This is quite a scary chat! I’ve now had my D4 (MY16) for a year and a half and love it to pieces. The only work I’ve had done was a belt(s) change just after I got it and new brake lines then a cheeky all underbody Lanoguard but that’s it (& two services).

It does worry me that nearly every time I check these forums there seems to be yet another crank issue, etc which puts the wind up me no end.

I know other manufacturers have their own issues BUT where do you draw the line?
I think at some point you have to take a punt.

The only advice I once took was a couple of years ago when my Jag XF blew its intercooler on the A1 and I asked the recovery AA guy what car he was always called out to and he replied, “Ranger Rover, every time”. I then said, “Not Discovery’s?” (as I’d been thinking about one for a while by then) and he said, “Nope I hardly ever see a Discovery. Look Land Rover chuck all their latest tech into the Range Rover as pretty much a test-bed for all their other vehicle lines. So, they nearly always conk-out with electrical issues and I have to pick them up, especially these new ones with ALL the gizmos and they can’t get replacement parts.”

I’m paraphrasing that conversation a bit as it was a while back and this AA guy may not be the worlds expert on cars but if he recovers Range Rovers most days then I knew not to go for one for the time being. (He did not mention any other car specifically).

Also, around that time my work-friends husband said to me (when I remembered he was a car dealer for 30 years) “Si, get yourself a D4 HSE. Best car (they) ever made”. I then ran-off all the alternatives I had been looking at, X5, XC 90, ML350 or the newer GLE 350 and he shook his head and repeated himself. “Nope, nope & nope. Get the D4 HSE, if you can find one…”.

So, I did.

I really, really hope I have one of the ‘good’ ones in terms of Discovery 4 and that it continues to put a smile on my face for many years to come. As the saying goes:

‘If you don’t look back when walking away from your car, you have the wrong car’…
 Discovery 4 HSE late 2015 Euro6
Jaguar XF Portfolio (PX'd for above)
Mitsubishi Galant V6 (PX'd for above)
Instagram: @mrtedgfx 
 
Post #237010031st May 2024 2:14 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
al cope
 


Member Since: 08 Nov 2005
Location: Oldbury, WM
Posts: 10328

England 

After having had every model of Disco from D1 200tdi through 300TDi, TD5, D3,D4 and finally D5 I have gone XC90. The only major issue I had was with D5 (2 ltr ingeniboom) which Censored its engine big time. Ok LR replaced it but the love was lost, and I didn’t want another one, or anything else LR were offering. The final bit to swing it for me was the difference in attitude between LR dealers and the Volvo dealers i visited. Service at sales and at servicing has been much better (so far).

I have an XC90 B5D, mild hybrid. It does pretty much everything the D4/D5 did, tows our 1900kg caravan well, is much more economical and very comfortable. Very pleased after 18 months of ownership.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 
 
Post #237010631st May 2024 3:39 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 

MrTed wrote:
This is quite a scary chat! I’ve now had my D4 (MY16) for a year and a half and love it to pieces. The only work I’ve had done was a belt(s) change just after I got it and new brake lines then a cheeky all underbody Lanoguard but that’s it (& two services).

It does worry me that nearly every time I check these forums there seems to be yet another crank issue, etc which puts the wind up me no end.

I know other manufacturers have their own issues BUT where do you draw the line?
I think at some point you have to take a punt.

The only advice I once took was a couple of years ago when my Jag XF blew its intercooler on the A1 and I asked the recovery AA guy what car he was always called out to and he replied, “Ranger Rover, every time”. I then said, “Not Discovery’s?” (as I’d been thinking about one for a while by then) and he said, “Nope I hardly ever see a Discovery. Look Land Rover chuck all their latest tech into the Range Rover as pretty much a test-bed for all their other vehicle lines. So, they nearly always conk-out with electrical issues and I have to pick them up, especially these new ones with ALL the gizmos and they can’t get replacement parts.”

I’m paraphrasing that conversation a bit as it was a while back and this AA guy may not be the worlds expert on cars but if he recovers Range Rovers most days then I knew not to go for one for the time being. (He did not mention any other car specifically).

Also, around that time my work-friends husband said to me (when I remembered he was a car dealer for 30 years) “Si, get yourself a D4 HSE. Best car (they) ever made”. I then ran-off all the alternatives I had been looking at, X5, XC 90, ML350 or the newer GLE 350 and he shook his head and repeated himself. “Nope, nope & nope. Get the D4 HSE, if you can find one…”.

So, I did.

I really, really hope I have one of the ‘good’ ones in terms of Discovery 4 and that it continues to put a smile on my face for many years to come. As the saying goes:

‘If you don’t look back when walking away from your car, you have the wrong car’…


I look back when I leave the Mazda to make sure the boots closed because it opens itself and invites any scumbags in the area to help themselves to the contents - unfortunately words got round and nobody steals the vehicle 🤣

I agree every group is full of owners with issues which makes you wonder what to buy 😳

Anyone who remembers me here will know it took me years to give up on LR despite issues - I kept thinking the next one will be great because they used to be when I started buying them but since TATA not so good ☹️

The amount of members here telling me to buy Volvo I’m wondering if I’m in the right group 🤣
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237011231st May 2024 5:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 

al cope wrote:
After having had every model of Disco from D1 200tdi through 300TDi, TD5, D3,D4 and finally D5 I have gone XC90. The only major issue I had was with D5 (2 ltr ingeniboom) which Censored its engine big time. Ok LR replaced it but the love was lost, and I didn’t want another one, or anything else LR were offering. The final bit to swing it for me was the difference in attitude between LR dealers and the Volvo dealers i visited. Service at sales and at servicing has been much better (so far).

I have an XC90 B5D, mild hybrid. It does pretty much everything the D4/D5 did, tows our 1900kg caravan well, is much more economical and very comfortable. Very pleased after 18 months of ownership.

Al


Hi Al 👋

Another name I remember from back in the day 😎

After my previous experiences I’d already decided to find an Indy - doesn’t sound like the dealers have improved 🤦‍♂️

Can’t believe how many of you are pushing me down the Volvo route - do they do a group discount 🤣
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237011331st May 2024 5:42 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Moo
D3 Decade 


Member Since: 13 Aug 2010
Location: Wiltshire
Posts: 14127

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Many have seen the light.......

I still had my XC90 when I bought my Defender. It took me over a month to decide to keep the Defender. Still miss the XC90 though and often wonder if I made the right decision Confused
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 
 
Post #237011631st May 2024 5:58 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
muddywheels4wd
 


Member Since: 16 Dec 2010
Location: East Riding of Yorkshire
Posts: 1681

England 

I do like the new Defender but not the price - I keep looking longingly and thinking if only 🤣
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 
 
Post #237011731st May 2024 6:19 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Reply with quote
Display posts from the last:  
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >


Posting Rules
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



DISCO3.CO.UK Copyright © 2004-2024 Futuranet Ltd & Martin Lewis
DISCO3.CO.UK RSS Feed - All Forums

DISCO3.CO.UK is independent and not affiliated to Land Rover.
Switch to Mobile Site