Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Roading & Green Laning

Controlling Steep Descent with an Auto Box
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Cadence breaking is extremely relevant on very very steep descent as you use it control the speed of the descent which in turn will stop you hitting the top of the engine rev band. once you hit this the wheels will / can lock up and you lose control. if you are at the top of the engine rev band you can no longer accelerate out of trouble and regain traction. have had use this principle numerous times trialing and driving around the farm in various bits of kits.

Post #71457510th Nov 2010 6:58 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Have you ever been anywhere near the rev limits in a D3 going down hill in 1st low with HDC on?

Post #71457810th Nov 2010 7:08 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

Doubtful but if no HDC fitted then I agree it's a proven technique (after all it's what HDC is doing albeit in a more sophisticated manner)
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #71458010th Nov 2010 7:12 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hanechdene

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

No, not when HDC is on but this thread was not about HDC or D3.

Give it ago sometime, you might need it when the HDC packs up somewhere inconvenient............. Shocked

Post #71458410th Nov 2010 7:24 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

CFB wrote:
Doubtful but if no HDC fitted then I agree it's a proven technique (after all it's what HDC is doing albeit in a more sophisticated manner)

...surely a high rev limit situation would only occur in a manual anyway

HDC situations - Just think about where your engine revs are if you have a D3 (or D4 or D2) Autobox....its the brakes that are being applied on & off by HDC - with the wheel speed sensors feeding back data to a CPU in the braking system
...the engine is just ticking over - I believe you can use HDC with the vehicle in neutral i.e drive disconnected ?

...back to cadence braking.....high revs ....manual box...in a 4WD descent situation...low ratio box ...low gear selected - you are suggesting rapid depressions of the brake pedal almost till the wheels lock then re-apply brake.......I wasn't aware that this was a technique used on a manual box - non HDC vehicle in a steep descent situation

...you learn something every day....wont be a situation I'm ever in as I would only have an auto box...that probably starts another thread
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #71459110th Nov 2010 7:40 pm
robsmith

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Two words
DON'T TRY

The box will fry its guts, you will be left with no drive, no control and, if you are lucky a big repair bill, otherwise......

Autoboxes just aren't designed to cope with the reverse torques of using reverse on steep downhills, something will brake unless its a very short slope.

The only way out is, as others have said, cadence braking - which if you think about it is more or less what HDC does, but much faster than the human foot can achieve.
 Rob Smith
Silver rools OK

Post #71459310th Nov 2010 7:43 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I sometimes have to use cadence braking when driving my Series 2a. Its a petrol engine, and even 1st low can be too high to provide adequate braking down a steep slippery slope.

Derek, do you remember following me in Betsy down that incrediblly slippery slope at a very wet and muddy Boughrood a few years ago? That was cadence braking! (and a good grip on the seat with both buttocks)

Post #71460110th Nov 2010 7:59 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Depends on how steep and slippery your slope is Whistle .....not that I would ever have considered putting it in reverse Shocked ...but in my 'out of control' moment gravity was king and nothing (apart from a tree Embarassed ) was going to stop the motor hurtling down the hill once I had lost traction. I can't see how reverse would have assisted the situation.
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #71460210th Nov 2010 8:00 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

The one where I went down on 4 locked wheels and couldn't understand why pressing the peddle any harder didn't slow me down?? Embarassed Embarassed

DG that hill's still known as Dick's Slip!! I sooooooooooo mis Boughrood!! Big Cry Big Cry

Post #71460310th Nov 2010 8:01 pm
anglefire

England 

The advantage of HDC over cadence braking is that HDC brakes the individual wheels - cadence braking used properly brakes all 4 wheels and one of more lock up, when the brake peddle is released and reapplied - all 4 wheels stop/reduce braking.

I don't believe there would be many, if any, situations that HDC would do a worse job over cadence braking.
 Mark.
2006, D3 SE Auto - gone but not forgotten.
2014 BMW 530d M Sport Tourer.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500

Post #71460610th Nov 2010 8:04 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

DSL wrote:

DG that hill's still known as Dick's Slip!! I sooooooooooo mis Boughrood!! Big Cry Big Cry

Slippy Dick's ... Del Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #71460710th Nov 2010 8:05 pm
DSL

Ukraine 

Not how I remember it but if the shoe fits!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #71460910th Nov 2010 8:06 pm
dick dastardly

Switzerland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

would probably squirt gearbox oil everywhere. oil pressure goes beyond the design limits.
 There's one wheel on my wagon, but i'm still rollin' along, it's the cherokee, they're after me, but I'm singing a happy song  
Post #71480311th Nov 2010 12:26 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

If it was a good way to come down hill then all the off road training schools would be including it in there off road lessons.?

Flack Confused

Post #71481411th Nov 2010 12:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LiftedDisco

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

... I've got a LR demonstrator next week, who wants to try...

Twisted Evil Whistle

No... not even in their vehicle would I consider selecting reverse when heading downhill... I have an abject fear of gearbox components spilling out at some speed - oil, cogs and bits of shrapnel!

In a sick sense, I am actually wondering which 'other forum' is inhabited by such folks... and is it unkind for us all to migrate over to see who actually thinks it might be acceptable?

Rolling with laughter

Post #71492911th Nov 2010 2:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >