Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Converting the commercial
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
BWSB

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Converting the commercial

I'm Running an 05 LR3 Commercial which has been upgraded to a fair specification, all well to this point.

Lots of wine, food and music has resulted in a 9 month production and a lot of sleepless nights and dirty nappies!!!!!!

I'm concidering converting the commercial back into a five seater, which saves me selling a great reliable work horse and would give me the extra space. Only problem being is that I'd have to get another one for work.

Now I know all about the VRT issues here in Ireland and I have that covered, what I need is technical advise on the conversion.

The car was originally a 5 seater and has now had the rear seats etc removed as standard by the Dublin Co.

Has anyone tackled this task and could advise me on the pro's and con's of taking on such a project.

As far as I can tell it would need the following:

Rear seats
Rear seat belts
Bagage cover
Metal inner covers removed from the four rear windows
Metal box removed from the floor

Any help would be greatly appreciated

A concerned commericial owner

Post #15658012th May 2007 8:46 am
Ken

Chris T is your Man he'll let you know Thumbs Up

Post #15658212th May 2007 8:56 am
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I considered doing this with an old TD5 commercial that was a few years old, but the amount of VRT they wanted, insurance issues (would have wanted some kind of professional report to say the conversion was safe) and the amount of work involved resulted in me just going out and getting a passenger TD5.

The D3 commercial isn't as difficult as the TD5 to convert back, but it's still not easy, and if I were you I'd just go and get a passenger one. You're going to have hassle with back paying the vrt, getting it reregistered, trying to explain to your insurance company what's happened (they may not be so eager to cover you when they hear you've retrofitted seats to a vehicle that as far as they were concerned couldn't have rear seats).

Removing the floor box section is doable, it's probably only held in with silicon (some pics of christyler removing his are in his gallery). The bolt holes for the seats to mount to may or may not be welded in (they're supposed to be), but may just be full of silicon like my TD5 was, and it's possible to get this out. Yes you'll need new seatbelts as NVD simply cut the seatbelt that it comes with and let it get reeled back into the reel. I don't know if the airbags were removed or not, so possible safety concern here too.

Removing the metal covers from the windows is the least of your problems where that's concerned - you'll need a new rubber part from LR that was damaged as part of the conversion, but the biggest problem you'll face is getting the paint, yes black paint, off the glass. It is doable, I know someone who did it, but it takes hours, and the glass will probably be partially damaged. You'll also need to get it off the rear windows without damaging the radio aerials, which I can't see being possible.
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #15659112th May 2007 10:21 am
Ken

Rear window glass is cicra £110.00 for the pair (Privacy)

Post #15659612th May 2007 11:54 am
christyler

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re Converting

Hi BWSB,

What you may not be aware as well is that they have cut the carpet out from under the horid box they fixed in the back, and if its anything like mine not neatly either.
it is cut about 1" inside the metal box, thats where the rear passengers feet would go.
to replace this, you would have to remove the center console and the two front seats because the half that they left there goes right under them an is fixed there. The seat fixing points in mine were welded up.
what you are proposing can be done but i wouldent bother, it will probably cost you more in the end than just buying a new one, and it would never be perfect.
 CLUB "Ah Shor it'll be grand"

First D3 in the World with a Hydraulic Winch.
2006 Disco 3 TDV6 S Auto,
Diff Locks, Turbochipped, Raised Air Intake, 220volts Onboard, Onboard Compressor, Large Bore Exahust, Underbody Protection, One or two Other Mods as well.
Other toys include, Argo Avenger 8x8, Tatra 6x6 Motorhome (Being Built) 

Post #15659812th May 2007 12:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >