Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Coolant color/supplier at assembly line
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
CUCO

Spain 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
Coolant color/supplier at assembly line

Why some coolants seems Pink and others seems Orange? Is something VIN related?

Maybe some batchs go with castrol SF (Pink AFAIK) and some with texaco (havoline) XLC from Factory (Orange per specs)

The 1L coolant bottle from LR is Orange, so I assume is always XLC.

Last edited by CUCO on 28th Feb 2018 9:38 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #192017328th Feb 2018 4:36 pm
CUCO

Maybe is only a supplier choice or change at the assembly line because a shortage of one of the two coolants?

My D4 comes with Pink. Previous and later units come with Orange, there are more samples of pink coolant here and there. Now all come Orange. I dont know the intervals but I imagine that there are some VIN intervals that change the supplier.

Only curious as many oils are castrol and is too the brand that LR preconize on their user manual and merchandise. From a economical perspective buying more products from the same supplier lowers price of the whole purchase.

Or maybe as now all comes with the orange texaco XLC is a better product than castrol sf and Land Rover dont use castrol SF any more for a good technical reason?

Any thoughts?

Post #192033328th Feb 2018 9:37 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I notice the coolant neat out of the barrel is pink, add water down to 50/50 and it goes more orange, once its been in the vehicle for a while it again seems orange.

Post #192035328th Feb 2018 10:03 pm
CUCO

Good point! I have a coolant bottle from dealer bought past week. I will try to dilute to 50% and post photos of pure and diluted to see the differences.

My D4 comes with pink from factory, same pink tonality of the first post when new and same now after many miles and years. As I bought the outlet of coolant between the V that sometimes broke to change it as a precaution I'm evaluating to change all coolant to orange if the orange is technically better. Colour is not the problem, dont matter if pink, orange, blue or grey. I have no visual complaints on any colour.

As I have a castrol dealer near me, the pink SF is easy to get, but if orange XLC is better or LR or any here knows that is better for the car, I will flush all the system and change it to orange XLC, even the higher price and the delay because Texaco (havoline) is like hens teeth here.

New cars all comes with the Orange as I saw in numerous dealer visits when looking for new car and lift up the bonnet to investigate, but who knows!

Post #19205841st Mar 2018 1:15 pm
CUCO

Checked:

Colour orange from LR bottle and light orange when diluted, no photos as the darkest orange is the same as shown on first post.

If fact, i remembered that when I refilled the coolant in the past, the initial orange from the bottle turn pink as the coolant mixes when it circulate (as expected because my D4 have pink from factory).

I have now two bottles of orange Texaco XLC to change it from the factory pink castrol sf.

I checked too some tech papers and I didnt found any measurable differences as the methods used to measure the characteristics in the technical info about the two are different, so no way of real and fair comparison between the two...so case closed.

Post #192925723rd Mar 2018 12:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >