Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

Correct positioning of air jack
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
philhunt

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Correct positioning of air jack

Can anyone advise on the correct positioning of an air jack [bought my non Tackla one on a Group Buy some time ago but not used it yet]?

Is it possible to use it safely/correctly on a vehicle with tubes [or sidesteps I guess] fited?
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #4910474th Jul 2009 10:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanters

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Mornin Phil

I bought one of them too. Hasnt seen the light of day either Laughing

Click image to enlarge

image borrowed from maxim

If in under far enough when it inflates, it shouldn't put pressure on steps or tubes so should be fine. Be careful of any hot surfaces like the exhaust as it will melt your jack. Also if on the drivers side, watch out for your compressor as not best to be putting pressure on that either.

I just did a quick search in the gallery 'Air Jack' and got a few images of them in use - have a look yourself Thumbs Up
 A happy childhood ... is the worst possible preparation for life.  
Post #4910524th Jul 2009 10:37 am
philhunt

Mornin to you too young man! Helpful image, thanks.

Carry mine around with me all the time, perhaps should feel pleased that I've not yet had to use it as a necessity! Now have a set of Maxxis Bighorns on 17s so toying with the idea of doing a wheel change for the Rockingham and Hogsmoor events
 Clubs Mantec, Tasmods, LEDS, AT2s on 18s, Maxxis Bighorns on 17s, Remote FBH, BAS. ReMap, BSS., RLD Personalised SWP., Safari Snorkel, Faultmate, Three Musketeers & MUD

Post #4910664th Jul 2009 11:18 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JMC

Scotland 

Be sure to chock the wheels (in front of front wheel and rear of rear wheel) before using the Takla.

Doesn't matter if you are in gear and using the EPB, it can still roll off the air jack.

Ask me how I know........ Whistle Embarassed

(Also, once it starts to roll there is no quick way to stop it until all the wheels are back on the ground.) Shocked

This was taken just before the car started moving:

Embarassed Embarassed
 The older I get, the more I realise that people confuse wrinkles for wisdom Smile
Founder member of Club FFRRV
Club Orange, Mint or Fruit
Club Walnut Sniffers

Post #4910774th Jul 2009 11:59 am
philhunt

Good advice from experience on the chocks JMC. Couldn't see any in your 'before the roll' photo. Just as well your wheels were on but I guess a memorable experience all the same. I've got some heavy weight axle stands to use and I reckon I'll play safe and only try and lift one wheel at a time!

Post #4910834th Jul 2009 12:28 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

Used mine a few times, make sure it isn't bent over double as it can pop out from underneath. Good advice on chocking as I almost repeated the JMC event.

I think the compressor is on the passenger side not the drivers side as Tanter mentioned, but keep clear of that. Also there are some sharp fittings underneath which should be avoided.

Post #4910854th Jul 2009 12:31 pm
kevin-t

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

[quote="JMC"]Be sure to chock the wheels (in front of front wheel and rear of rear wheel) before using the Takla.

Doesn't matter if you are in gear and using the EPB, it can still roll off the air jack.

Ask me how I know........ Whistle Embarassed

(Also, once it starts to roll there is no quick way to stop it until all the wheels are back on the ground.) Shocked

DITTO
Whistle
Whistle
Whistle

Post #4910864th Jul 2009 12:33 pm
philhunt

Compressor is on passenger side - had one blow up!

Regaring sharp bits underneath, I've got some large heavy duty carpet tiles to supplement the thin rubber mats that came with the jack!

Post #4910884th Jul 2009 12:48 pm
Ken

philhunt wrote:
Compressor is on passenger side - had one blow up!

!

Depends on LHD or RHD (its on the left side of the vehicle looking from the rear)

Post #4911134th Jul 2009 2:35 pm
philhunt

Bow down I stand corrected Ken. I should remember that we are an international forum before posting!

Post #4911234th Jul 2009 3:16 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Agree about chocks....... never moved so fast in my life! Embarassed

Best to try and lift one side fairly evenly. If you try and lift one corner, that's when the car wants to move. Centre it slightly forward of the B pillar and you'll be fine Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #4911244th Jul 2009 3:16 pm
TazDaz

United Kingdom 

Phil (long time no see)

Have a look in my gallery for Bushranger pics
http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=2651

John

Post #4911354th Jul 2009 4:14 pm
JF Lux

Luxembourg 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Phil - I wouldn't try and lift a corner with the air jack. I've used it to change on/off road wheels and lift all on one side. I use the chocks supplied with the LR jacking kit. Seems to be about the only bits that work... Rolling Eyes

Thicker rubber mats are a must - there's a couple of pics in mz gallery. Plus one pic of a ripped mat due to some sharp edges under the car.

And practice - there is a knack to using it...
 The next American ex-pat that calls it a "truck" is going to find out what 2.7 tons feels like on their foot...

Club "yes, I too have had the EGR's replaced..."
Club "yes, I too have had the compressor replaced..."
Club "yes, I too once had the car at the dealer for a couple of weeks nearly 4 weeks over 4 weeks...5 weeks"
Club "yes, I too have had EPB failure..."
Club "yes, I too get mysterious bings and bongs..." 

Post #4911434th Jul 2009 4:24 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

After much trial & error I found that positioning the Takla in line with the door handle does it lifts the side. I then drop it on to axle stands to take the strain off the jack, change the wheels and inflate it back up to get the stands out. Sorted!!! Thumbs Up

Post #4911464th Jul 2009 4:33 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Looks nice n easy on the flat.
But you want to try it on a steep downward, boulder strewn narrow track with high bank one side and severe drop-off on the other side.
Scarey stuff. Shocked
It happened at Ent's bonanza in the Lakes.
Not me, the D3 in front when a front tyre blew off it's rim.
Had to be roped to mine to prevent slippage.

But 'willy the lips' got it all sorted with his airjack.

Thumbs Up
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #4911704th Jul 2009 5:29 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >