corrosion control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
sijui

Australia 2006 LR3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteLR3
corrosion control

G'day all
Brillaint forum
I am about to pick up a new disco 3 hse TD here in Cairns where the rainforest meets the reef. It will be used respectfully but as a proper 4WD in exploring parts of Northern Australia and I was wondering what additional, if any, corrosion protection applications people recommend for this new mutli-alloy 'integrated monocoque' body.

I have a tendency to leave well alone and may be put an electronic unit on?
I notice the warranty is only 6 years, most european cars are 10-12.
any way here's to at least 6 years of great fun in the best 4wd I know of

Post #5092129th Mar 2006 8:41 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

The most important area would be underneath. The chassis on mine is showing surface rust around the welded joints, and also on the rear crossmember. Its not serious, but looks bad, and I would imagine will get serious in 10 years time.

The factory paint on the chassis is about the same standard as a Defender, i.e not very thick!

The other area of risk is behind the plastic trims around the wheel arches, and allong the door bottoms. They get filled with silt which stays damp. The only solution is regualar removal and cleaning.

Post #5092329th Mar 2006 9:00 am
sijui

Thanks Gareth
so no easier softer path on this one
What do you think about the electronic devices that supposedly reduce the oxidisation process

Post #5096429th Mar 2006 11:44 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Never heard of them? maybe I've had a sheltered life !

All I can say is that I don't think a rusty chassis will be the final straw for most D3's when the time arrives for the boat to come in Wink

Post #5100229th Mar 2006 2:04 pm
TonyH

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Sijui
I have owned 3 disco's from new and have always applied underbody wax (colourless waxoil) within a few days of delivery. I apply two generous coats, sprayed into every nook & cranny. I reapply annually just prior to the winter period. It seems to do the job, no rust, but I do not go off-road, so it appears to stay on the underside.
Regarding cathodic protection, I understand this can cause a reaction between ferrous metal and alloy, where the two metals are in close contact. I wouldn't go there.
 *Disco3 7-seat Auto
March 2006
Zermatt silver
*Disco TD5 GS Manual
Epson Green
108,000 miles without a single problem
*Disco TD200 Manual
Bonatti Grey
55,000 trouble-free miles
*Various company cars, no comparison 

Post #5105129th Mar 2006 6:44 pm
ksskaret

Norway 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Does anyone know what part of the body is aluminium Shocked

Simon
 Simon

Disco3 HSE TDV6 Auto Buckinghamblue MY2006
LR Defender 110 PU MY1998 

Post #5107129th Mar 2006 8:27 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Bonnet and Tailgate doors

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #5136431st Mar 2006 12:17 pm
Stingray

Wales 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

The first thing I did to mine, when it was a day old, was to put it on a four post lift, and treat all the relevant accessible areas with Dintrol rust proofing fluid. The factory protection is really poor in my opinion, with large areas missed altogether. I managed to treat the inside of some of the box sections as well, including the sills, which I'm sure will easily fill with water when wading. This is a recipe for serious rust problems later in the car's life, and I think it is quite appalling that LR don't do a proper job in the factory, which could easily be cheap, very effective, and a good selling feature, as well as showing that they care about their product's longevity, and their customers satisfaction. £100 or £200 spent when new, could put ten years on the vehicle's life.

Sorry to go on, but any thoughts on the subject?

Ray

Post #5144031st Mar 2006 7:35 pm
sijui

It seems to me that this corrosion thing is a bit like death and taxes- it happens and whatever you do is really about what makes you feel like you are doing the right thing not whether it actually works

The hypocratic oath"first do no harm" springs to mind as someone sprays gallons of sticky stuff all over the sensors and other ABS gear under the car

Not being an elecrtonics engineer or metallurgist I can imagine the bonnet and tailgate becoming proxy sacrificial anodes - that would be embarrasing

Perhaps Land Rover have developed a shameless attitude that their vehicles don't rust which explains theit traditionally poor factory paint job

still ambivalent

Post #515101st Apr 2006 5:35 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi sijui - I had a Pajero that was NOT rustproofed by others and I drove it to many places in NQ incl through creek crossings. I tried to keep it clear of the salt but did take it to Fraser Island (and carefully drove the beach sections). Always I chose to wash the car underneath within a short time of any sand or saltwater visits.

I have used Lanotec (or you could try Inox/Lanox or Lanoguard) for spraying any areas where I suspected rust could develop (sold in a spray can but I also bought the 1l size and hand sprayed it). I sold that car in January this year with 230 000 kilometres and other than surface rust on parts of the chassis it was excellent.

I have no experience with cathodic protection (but is popular on the Gold Coast, I believe) so cannot comment but take your the point about sacrificial effect on the dissimilar metals.

I have sprayed strategic parts of my Discovery (read exposed electrical connectors so that it can resist any water ingress) underneath and near where tyre splash could occur. I do not intend to take any other measures to avoid rust other than as for the Pajero. I know that Landrover build a vehicle that is very substantial and I will monitor for rust as any concerned owner would.
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #515341st Apr 2006 12:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >