Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Courtesy Light is dark!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
tedmaxey

England 2011 Discovery 4 TDV6 HSE Auto Izmir BlueDiscovery 4
Courtesy Light is dark!

I have a problem with the courtesy light on my 2011 Discovery4. I have searched the forums for an answer, and the most obvious one I have tried (pressing the front centre light switch for 3secs to turn it to automatic). When the car is locked, and the tailgate opened for access - the lights do not come on. When a door is opened, the lights do not come on. When the keyfob is pressed to open the car, the lights do not come on. However, when the engine is turned off after driving the lights come on. When the drivers door is opened, the lights come on (sometimes), but go off after around 10 seconds even with the door open. This all seems to be an intermittent problem, and I cannot put my finger on why. The battery has been changed recently, but I think this was happening before then. The lights also used to come on when the tailgate was opened, but would only stay on for a very short time even though it was still open.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Post #18649464th Oct 2017 10:16 pm
ecs0set

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Are you 100% confident of the symptoms? Could it be merely intermittent?

Have you checked for water in or near the rear-most light above the boot? Water can leak from the aerial on the roof.

Post #18650935th Oct 2017 11:52 am
tedmaxey

Courtesy Light is dark!

I don't think water has leaked into the car. I have just checked the symptoms again - the car has been idle for a few hours now, so opened the tailgate - no lights (indicators flashed once when closed). I opened the drivers door - no lights. Closed the door, locked the car and alarmed it. Pressed the keyfob to open the door - no lights. OK, got in the car and started the engine - turned off the engine and viola , the lights came on (as they should). Got out the car, shut the door and locked with keyfob - lights faded out (as they should). Unlocked with keyfob - lights came on. Locked, and opened the tailgate - lights came on. Now I am wondering if the car system does not shut down for around 15 mins. I have previously sat in the car whilst listening to the radio with engine off, and the radio has turned off around 15 mins later. Could this be some sort of issue with the programming of the cpu? Is this going to be a dealer thing?
Just checked all the above again(as I have been replying) with the same result. Still in the dark!

Post #18652535th Oct 2017 6:16 pm
TigerRecovery

Wales 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

If you press and hold the centre front interior light button until the lights flash and the message in the instrument pack shows either 'Interior Lights - Automatic' or 'Interior Lights Off'. I think it's more than 3 seconds needed.
 1972 Range Rover Classic 2 door V8
2013 Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - SCRAPPED
2016 Land Rover Discovery 4 Landmark
2022 Volvo XC40 T5 PHEV 282HP FWD 3 cylinder! 

Post #18652785th Oct 2017 6:51 pm
Navigator

Location: Stay at Home. One of the lives you save could be your own.

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

This is close to the problem I have. The centre light in front is dim, the middle one dark and the boot bright. The two on the sides of the roof clusters come on bright when switched. Given them a good whach but no change.
 A vaccine does not stop you catching a virus, or passing it on, or getting ill from it, really ill. It does reduce the likelyhood of you dying when really, really ill. Stay Alive - KEEP AWAY FROM PEOPLE.  
Post #18652875th Oct 2017 7:08 pm
tedmaxey

Courtesy Light is dark!

TigerRecovery - you are right. But I have tried this, and the only options are "automatic" or "off". The car seems to behave itself 5 - 10 minutes after use (lights come on/go off when they should), but after that period, as I said previously, the car seems to "shut down" until "activated" by starting up. Confused

Post #18653785th Oct 2017 10:08 pm
ecs0set

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Sounds like whatever electronic module controls the lights is either playing up or not getting the inputs from something else. On my previous car this was called the "body module" but I'm not sure if the disco has the same thing. Maybe worth checking for errors with a diag tool and rescanning the canbus?

Post #18654136th Oct 2017 6:02 am
tedmaxey

Courtesy Light is dark!

Well, I decided to check for water ingress after reading forums here about the sunroof drain pipe leaking at the rubber nipple exit point inside the wing. This is close to the CJB, and I considered any water on this, the brains of the car to send it into obscure happenings including the light problem. I wish I hadn't touched the thing as it was an absolute nightmare to access, remove and refit. First attempt resulted in messages thus: Fuel Low; Brake discs worn; Parking brake fault; all doors open; tailgate open. Second attempt at refitting - red connector on the back of the CJB had came out. To cut a long story short, managed to get the CJB back complete after 4 attempts - still have the courtesy lamp problem. Looks like I'm going to have to keep a torch handy. Doh!

Post #187042820th Oct 2017 8:26 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >