Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

CRANKSHAFT FAILURE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
blackdog1

England 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

All bad news, my d4 is the last l/r that I will own, I have it to tow a caravan, another few years van will be left on site in Spain and I will return to Ford Sad

Post #195328212th Jun 2018 8:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
marian

Austria 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

waterbuoy wrote:
But you can get a replacement TDV6 from JLR for under £4k with a full two year warranty?

People here had to pay ca. 10k EURs.
If it's 4k, I'd leave 4k aside as a reserve and be "happy".

Post #195338813th Jun 2018 7:54 am
vijay1983

United Kingdom 
Range Rover sport fails with cranckshaft failure

I am not sure if this is the right forum for my model, but my Range Rover Sport 2009 plate (updated 2010 model) failed suddenly on a dual carriageway in February 2018, 3 days after its 8th year service at a dealer. The car had a Full service history and only done 65K miles.

Initially i was told the belts were slacked and after paying a small fortune to get a report from a Range Rover dealer in London i was told the tensioners were miss aligned. i reported this back to the dealer (based Cardiff) who changed the belts and performed the 8th year service. They requested for a forensic engineer (after JLR head office got involved). the Engineers conclusion was the bearings were severally damaged before the service and that caused the crankshaft to break (basically looks like issues everyone is having below). The dealership are saying it is nothing to do with them as they could not have known about engine issues and wouldn't have checked inside engine on 8th service. JLR head office have washed their hands off this and keep stating the car is out of warranty. Absolute disgrace!!!
The vehicle standards authority have told me they have had numerous complaints regarding crankshaft failures on both Sports and Discovery for this age, so it looks like there is a clear design fault with these cars and a known issue (http://ukcar.reviews/rangerover-sport-l320-2005-problems-recalls/
2005-12 Range Rover Sport 2.7L TDV6 and 3.0L TDV6: crankshaft bearing failure)

Has anyone had any luck with JLR or gone down the legal route?
Was any one able to fix or sell the car at reasonable price

Post #195362213th Jun 2018 7:35 pm
XDAndy

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

You know, may be worth giving Citizens Advice a call.

If the advice for electrical devices, such as laptops, is that you can expect some sort of level of service up to 5 years against failure, irrespective of the supplied manufacturers warranty; I’ve had a laptop logic board replaced in a laptop under this at around that age because there was a known defect in the GPU that could lead to failure.

I struggle to believe that for something like a car engine, that you would expect to last decades with proper maintance, shouldn’t have similar protection.

Given there is written guidance from the manufacturer to the dealer network advising of a known defect during engine production that could potentially cause failure, then it has to support the notion that the engine was not fit for purpose.

Out of interest, when the engine failed on the dual carriage way, what sort of speed were you doing, and how ‘safe’ was driving the car when it failed?

I ask as the DVSA has a reporting page for ‘serious safety defects’ where something ‘about the way the vehicle is designed or made thatks likely to cause injury or death” and “that happens suddenly and without warning”

If there were serious handling issues when the engine failed that put you and any passengers or other road users at risk. would be well worth reporting to them as well.

There doesn’t seem to be a time limit on this as my old Honda CR-V (MY 2004) had a recall on the airbag only a couple of years ago.

Post #195376414th Jun 2018 10:56 am
marian

Austria 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

That speed & how long was it maintained is interesting information.

The theory of some mechanics here is that the crankshaft failure is caused by uneven cooling of engine block. (Especially on highways) when the engine is subjected to higher load for longer, engine cools unevenly which results in small deformation leading to crank not rotating freely and breaking.
If that's true I obviously have no clue about.

Post #195376814th Jun 2018 11:02 am
XDAndy

Re: Range Rover sport fails with cranckshaft failure

vijay1983 wrote:
The dealership are saying it is nothing to do with them as they could not have known about engine issues and wouldn't have checked inside engine on 8th service.

Oh, and that gov.uk webpage actually says “things aren’t classed as a serious safety defect if they can be found during routine maintenance and servicing” so the fact you have the dealer stating this would support the notion the issue IS serious.

Post #195377014th Jun 2018 11:05 am
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

My 2.7 TDV6 crankshaft failed whilst trundling up the A74 at around the legal speed limit Whistle

To be honest it wasn't too dramatic - I felt it going through the throttle, knocked it into neutral and coasted across the inside lanes onto the hard shoulder. Might have been a different story the previous week when I was towing steelwork around the country!
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE and 2013 MY D4 HSE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #195378214th Jun 2018 11:23 am
XDAndy

Glad to hear it!

But wonder if the DVSA might be more interested in

Quote:
“when it failed it felt like the car hit a brick wall, and it went careening across the dual carriage way uncontrollably. How I managed to wrestle it to the hard shoulder without hitting anyone is a mystery! I honestly feel lucky that my wife, 10 children, the 2.4 dogs and the cat called ‘whiskers’ are alive. It’s a miracle.

Post #195379614th Jun 2018 11:49 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

didn't know you could get 12 + pets in a D3 Laughing

Post #195389814th Jun 2018 5:00 pm
XDAndy

Pete K wrote:
didn't know you could get 12 + pets in a D3 Laughing

Artistic license to enhance the melodrama!

That, and, small kids that stack easily.

Post #195390014th Jun 2018 5:03 pm
Pete K

Yeah I know.

Much better if its believable though!

Post #195398914th Jun 2018 8:22 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

XDAndy wrote:

Out of interest, when the engine failed on the dual carriage way, what sort of speed were you doing, and how ‘safe’ was driving the car when it failed?

I ask as the DVSA has a reporting page for ‘serious safety defects’ where something ‘about the way the vehicle is designed or made thatks likely to cause injury or death” and “that happens suddenly and without warning”

If there were serious handling issues when the engine failed that put you and any passengers or other road users at risk. would be well worth reporting to them as well.

Tens of thousands of engines fail across all manufacturers every year ...show me a single death.

Post #195400214th Jun 2018 8:46 pm
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

blackdog1 wrote:
All bad news, my d4 is the last l/r that I will own, I have it to tow a caravan, another few years van will be left on site in Spain and I will return to Ford Sad

I’m not sure what that will achieve; considering that Ford built these engines for LR in the first place and I’ve found it much harder to get a warranty claim through Ford during the original warranty period than people here seem to be finding it it with LR a whole 4 years after the original warranty has expired!! Heck, I’ve had two perfectly reasonable warranty claims rejected by Ford within the first few months from new - they really were shocking! Shocked
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: FL2 as a second car

2021 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built ‘14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Last edited by Red Merle on 14th Jun 2018 9:23 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #195400814th Jun 2018 9:08 pm
Pete K

DG wrote:

Tens of thousands of engines fail across all manufacturers every year ...show me a single death.

It's quite interesting in the recent news though.

A BMW breaksdown, and a fiesta? driver crashes into it and dies. BMW have been forced to do a recall to fix a problem! I would never of believed that they would be forced to do that!

Post #195401414th Jun 2018 9:23 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

That was because the fault caused the electrics to fail... so no lights or hazards and they had been warned already.

Post #195402514th Jun 2018 9:45 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 8 <12345678>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >