Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Strange(?) parking sensor problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Edek

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Strange(?) parking sensor problem

Hello all. I have finally got my hands on a D3 after many years of trying and i already love it. I bought it knowing it had a few niggles, hence the price, all of which i've sorted easily apart from this PDC problem. I've searched through the sections on this site and many others but i can't find the problem i have, at least not the way i would describe it.
Very rarely the front and rear sensors work perfectly when i select reverse. Most of the time i get a short beep from the rear of the car, the light on the switch comes on solid and stays on and thats it, it sits there looking like its working with no signs of a fault but no sound from the sensors. The only thing i've found on here that sounded similar was to release the EPB before selecting reverse but that doesn't make any difference for me. I haven't been able to read the codes yet, hopefully the kit will arrive after the weekend for that but i wondered if it was something someone had heard of so i can maybe have a crack at it over the weekend.
Sorry my first post is asking for help, but i bet it's not unique!

Post #23382621st Jun 2023 11:25 am
Mole734

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

First test I would do without codes is to chock the wheels, turn on the ignition but don't start it, put it in reverse and disengage the parking brake (hence the chocks) then listen for clicking from each of the 4 rear sensors, any that don't click aren't working, you'll need to put your ear right up to the sensor.
The sensors seem quite delicate and the loom behind the bumper is also known to be problematic

Post #23382791st Jun 2023 3:59 pm
Edek

Thanks for replying. So, when the pdc system works I can hear all sensors front and back making a 'ticking' noise, like a loud watch. When the system isn't working I get the same short beep when selecting reverse and the light comes on solid on the switch but none of the sensors make the same ticking noise. I'm just confused as to why I don't get an error tone or a flashing light. If the ecu for them had gone I'd assume I'd go no noise or light, and if it was a sensor or loom that had gone it should throw some sort of visible or audible error shouldn't it? It's not my first tango with parking sensors but no 'feedback' from the vehicle about a fault seems odd. To me anyway.

Post #23382801st Jun 2023 4:09 pm
Edek

Thought i'd keep playing while i wait for my diag tools to turn up. Pulled the fuse to inspect it, not broken, not corroded, put it back in and now the pdc system doesn't work at all! No beep when selecting reverse, no light on the button. No errors anywhere, it's like its not fitted. Big Cry

Post #23383732nd Jun 2023 11:51 am
Pete K

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well you have done something with the fuse or its contacts.
Try a new clean fuse

Post #23383742nd Jun 2023 12:07 pm
Edek

Seems the electrical systems needed to go to sleep, been back out to it and i'm back to where i started, short beep and solid light when selecting reverse but no noise from the sensors. I suppose i'll have to wait now for the diag kit before i can do anything. It just doesn't feel like a sensor has gone with them either all clicking and the system functioning or more often none clicking but no fault status indicated by the light or sounder.

Post #23383772nd Jun 2023 12:57 pm
Edek

So, after continuity testing the front and rear looms and the looms back to the module I replaced the module and all good. It's the old program that's on the replacement that turns the sensors on at low speed but I'm quite happy with that.

Post #233910011th Jun 2023 3:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >