Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Crap Chinese compressors! Looking for an old Hitachi
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
longclose

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Crap Chinese compressors! Looking for an old Hitachi

So I have now tested 3 Chinese compressors for other people all have failed on the exhaust valve fault C1A13, they are a pile of sh*t unless I have missed something, perhaps others have experienced a similar issue?

My son in law is looking for an old Hitachi compressor if anyone has upgraded to an AMK which I will rebuild for him as his was fitted with a Chinese copy (with fault C1A13). He is struggling to find one he is also looking for the Hitachi compressor shroud, can anyone help?

Thanks in advance..

PS. He has posted in wanted - so sorry if this is off topic but need to get this thing fixed and off his drive for work!
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #217528422nd Sep 2020 12:41 pm
greg00

Switzerland 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Java BlackLR3

I swapt my Hitachi compressor this summer with the Advanced Factor German made AMK kit that includes the new casing and all air lines. Exhaust valve failed after 2 weeks, too. I replaced it with a genuine one and all was good. I think they may use different voltage because the exhaust valve seems to work but at the wrong pressure. If it fills the air reservoir, pressure goes up to 1780kpa then goes down like it‘s supposed to. But not to around 200kpa but to 400kpa. That‘s when you get a ‚not venting gallery‘ fault. that won‘t go away with restart.
 _,,,_______///________
/// LR3 SE V8 Java Black 

Post #217534622nd Sep 2020 3:52 pm
TT___50

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/air-susp...2798-c.asp

Post #217537722nd Sep 2020 5:11 pm
longclose

greg00 wrote:
I swapt my Hitachi compressor this summer with the Advanced Factor German made AMK kit that includes the new casing and all air lines. Exhaust valve failed after 2 weeks, too. I replaced it with a genuine one and all was good. I think they may use different voltage because the exhaust valve seems to work but at the wrong pressure. If it fills the air reservoir, pressure goes up to 1780kpa then goes down like it‘s supposed to. But not to around 200kpa but to 400kpa. That‘s when you get a ‚not venting gallery‘ fault. that won‘t go away with restart.

Yes thanks, Greg, I replaced my Hitachi (as a preventative measure) with a genuine Landrover AMK dealer fit, mine also failed 1000 miles into the Kalahari desert had to drive 2500 miles overland with a failed exhaust valve. It was replaced under warranty after destroying both rear shocks as it destroyed the seals, Landrover would not cough up so I was well pi**ed off as it cost me a further £600. I now stick to Hitachi and rebuild them and never had a problem since. see here https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/coast-coast...40903.html
 Owning a Discovery 3 is like dating a model.. a firm body and shape, wow.. the ride is fantastic >Very Happy for this your wallet can take a pounding and you worry about being deflated at any time...
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #217541022nd Sep 2020 7:02 pm
longclose

TT___50 wrote:
https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/air-suspension-compressor---hitachi-original-12798-c.asp

Thanks for the heads up great site! Unfortunately £495 is out of his price range at the moment until the vehicle has been through a pre MOT. I took the Hitachi off of my Disco to check it out and the fault clears so evidently these Chines compressors have issues as I said that's 3 now tested on two different Disco's
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #217541122nd Sep 2020 7:09 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi

Does seem there’s a vast range available on ebay etc, must admit also have an hitachi and nice there’s some parts availed for it

As a side note if I may plse , I couldn’t believe the price of the compressor bracket bushings Big Cry

Ranging from £66.00 - £50.00 and down to £11.00 for some britpart ones

JLR certainly know how to charge

Ps , @longnose , great link by the way , thks for sharing Bow down

Post #217541322nd Sep 2020 7:12 pm
greg00

I just want to clarify: I think there‘s nothing wrong with non genuine German made AMK compressor except of the exhaust valve which triggers at wrong voltage IMHO. I replaced this valve with genuine one and the AMK works as it should. Advanced Factors would cover the valve by warranty but I didn‘t care since return cost for the faulty valve from outside UK is too high to justify it.
 _,,,_______///________
/// LR3 SE V8 Java Black 

Post #217545222nd Sep 2020 9:13 pm
ostland

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Greg,

Just to be sure, did you change the CCF so that the car knows you are using AMK and not Hitachi?

Post #217549422nd Sep 2020 11:47 pm
greg00

ostland,
I changed included relay and software for AMK with IIDtool.
Even reversed firmware back to hitachi and then flashed AMK again. Nothing helped.
After changing exhaust valve all went back to normal and now, I see almost no entries when reading faults. Before, I had at least 5 faults regarding non-relevant Electrical stuff.
 _,,,_______///________
/// LR3 SE V8 Java Black 

Post #217550323rd Sep 2020 1:50 am
garrycol

Australia 

Time has shown that the AMK is not a better compressor than the Hitachi and in fact some say the opposite. The Hitachi is completely rebuildable and I belief the cheap knockoffs can be rebuilt using the Hitachi rebuilt kits - including exhaust valves and can then be reliable - but as purchased the knockoffs are not good.

Post #217550423rd Sep 2020 1:58 am
longclose

Garry, it is great to know that I am not alone in this thinking! I am really annoyed as I have thrown old Hitachi compressors away after upgrading to AMK a few years back.

I guess it just that LR changed supplier to AMK and the AMK became the default replacement, the cracking drier unit obviously was the killer for Hitach but now there are plenty of aftermarket ones available.
2009 Model D3 HSE 

Post #217554923rd Sep 2020 9:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >