Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Crazy Sat. Nav. directions.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Crazy Sat. Nav. directions.

My Sat.Nav. ("06 HSE version) seems to be going slowly mental. I've recently noticed that it is giving some very strange routes. Today though I was in Cardiff & entered a location in Portishead (Nr. Bristol). The obvious route was M4, M49 to junction 18 of the M5, then exit M5 at junction 19, which is c. 3 miles from Portishead.
I pressed the "quick" route but the map that came up on the screen showed a big loop on what looked to be the M5. Sure enough when I got to junction 19 of the M5 (Gordano services & Portishead) the sat.nav. told me to continue on the M5 to junction 20. I obviously ignored it & got off at junction 19. On the junction itself it re routed me correctly.
Why the Censored was it telling me to go on to junction 20 of the M5 & then come back on myself to get off a junction 19 Question
Have I incorrectly set it up, or is it just a rubbish system Question
Can't believe it would be so stupid & the M5 is hardly a new or minor road Exclamation
Any ideas Question

Post #10996914th Dec 2006 7:17 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

LT, I'm still waiting to get my hands on a real Disco to find this out the hard way, but do you have TMC turned on?
Other posts from those more knowledgeable than I have suggested that the TMC in this country is, er, less than optimal - Is it possible it was detecting earlier junction closures / roadworks / traffic jams and therefore navigated you around the 'obstruction'?
I seem to remember from my test drives that such sections of 'to be avoided' road are usually highlighted red.

Just my best guess, hopefully other ideas will be forthcoming.
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #11003314th Dec 2006 10:27 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

As far as my 62k mile D3 experience is to go by........................................
'Sat Nav is OK...as long as you know where your going'.

seems to defeat the objective, i know!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #11003614th Dec 2006 10:31 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

TMC seems the likely culprit.... check yer road preferences too....
Might seem a daft question, but why use sat-nav for a route you already know? Must admit I do use mine for regular journeys but only so I can advise Mrs.10 of ETA (and so she an be stood at the door with a cold beer Wink ) although I don't really take any notice of the directions...

Post #11004414th Dec 2006 10:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Thanks for the replies. I have TMC set "ON" & Preferences set to cover all options.
It's possible that the slip road off J19 had previously been shut, so that could have been the reason.
I actually used it to get me out of Cardiff onto the M4 as I was in an area of Cardiff I didn't know. But I also wanted to test the system, as I've been given some routes, that when subsequently checked against a map just don't make sense at all.
Perhaps It's just a Censored system. It's so clever in so many ways, except for giving logical routes Banging Head .
For example I'm often following a route & I can see on the screen map that if I turned off I'd cut out 2/3rds of a triangle. Yet the highlighted (green) route would take me the long way round the triangle, in some cases this could be many miles.
I really have very little confidence in the system.

Post #11008115th Dec 2006 1:28 am
mrmarklin

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueLR3

All SAT NAVs seem to have similar problems. I've a BMW and it will occasionally route me in a very slow manner. Sometimes the changing the route selection options will optimize, more often that not, no! Same on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. I no longer have it, (Traded for LR3!) but I remember one time being routed through countryside to a destination that was only a couple freeway exits from where I was! SAT NAVs are quirky, and I doubt the Land Rover's is worse that any others. Shocked
 '06 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Heavy Duty package, Satellite Radio, Luxury Package  
Post #11008515th Dec 2006 3:18 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I mentioned in a previous post:-
going anywhere I normally do a left turn out of my drive [on a fairly main rd]. The sat nav asks [sorry it's a woman -TELLS] me to turn right, then takes me on a square route through a local housing estate, just to turn me back 50 yds down the road from my house!!
 I was a normal heterosexual chap, but in these new woke awakenings I now identify as a Wardrobe.  
Post #11010915th Dec 2006 9:51 am
Doctor Diesel

Scotland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Having used several I can conclude:-

Least sensible...destinator.....clearly programmed by someone not spatially aware of where the were in time and space!

BMW (E60 535d) ok, occasional wacky routes but tmc very good usually

garmin streetpilot......crap infact worse than crap

tomtom 300...very good, sensible most of the time

tomtom 910....really superb around these parts...very rarely made mistakes

D3......I'll see how it does tomorrow

25 Hrs and counting!
 2007 HSE Java Black.....sold
2007 B150 Horizon Blue
2008 Toyota Aygo Platinum

--------------------------------------------------
The Master of Suave !

Ding-Dong Matron 

Post #11011615th Dec 2006 10:06 am
AndrewS
Tarquin of the Desert 

United Kingdom 

I input my destination and then ignore the sat nav until the last few miles or so. Mind you I do this with every Sat Nav I use.

Post #11011915th Dec 2006 10:29 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Me too, ignore until destination. TMC would be a great system, if it was up dated in real time. Its obviously gets its messages from the same source as the new big motorway gantry's that are regularly out of synch with real events.

Post #11014515th Dec 2006 11:32 am
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

ditto Andrew and Gareth... use my TomTom 710 to get to where I need to be once I get closer. I've driven enough routes around England to know the essentials of getting to the actual town/city.

Only use the TomTom when I get to unfamiliar territory.

Oh and yes Iain... same as you, useful for the ETA on the way home or working out how long a particular trip is going to take. I don't get a beer though Sad usually food and a bottle of red warming up near the Aga Smile

One thing I've noticed... no matter if you drive within speed limits or blow them away, the ETA is usually within a few mins either way. So little point in speeding.

Unless you want to have some fun of course Wink

Post #11019515th Dec 2006 1:29 pm
Tonyrec

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

We have noticed this as well.
It has on a couple of occasions tried to send us on a 5 mile detour when in fact the next left turn is an A road and perfectly ok.

The second time it did this we had our TomTom sitting next to it and the TomTom took us the correct way.

On a scale of 1 to 10 i will give it a 5. Im not that impressed and im starting to believe that it is a 'budget' system.

Post #11021815th Dec 2006 2:46 pm
simon

But at least you can help a plane navigate with the D3 Wink

And they can fly in straight lines too so should be extra hard for it.

Post #11022315th Dec 2006 3:22 pm
jeff

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Well I do like having the Satnav, found it really useful in central London and in Paris, however on the French trip it did throw up a very strange anomaly routewise.
I asked it to take us from Cornwall to just east of Paris with the bias toward major roads, the 'normal' route took us up the M5 past the M4 to Bromsgrove, then east on the M42, then things got really bizarre, it advised to carry on onto the M40 to Warwick, to exit the motorway, go around the roundabout and back on at the same junction heading back toward where we'd just come from! we were then supposed to go North back on the M42 past Solihull ( this is still Cornwall to Paris remember!) and finally east on the M6 and then south on the M1 linking with the M25 and through the Dartford tunnel, total mileage 676 miles, what the heck is at that roundabout on the M40 at Warwick that my disco so desperately wants to see Confused
 D3 TDV6SE
Defender 110 V8 lpg

www.carlyonbay.net
www.thepavillioncarlyonbay.co.uk 

Post #11034715th Dec 2006 10:22 pm
simon

jeff wrote:
what the heck is at that roundabout on the M40 at Warwick that my disco so desperately wants to see Confused

A big sign saying "April Fool" Laughing Laughing

Post #11035715th Dec 2006 11:17 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >