Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Creak from top of dashbaord
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
allforus

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I have the same creak pain in the a Censored Not sure I trust the dealers to take the dash to bits though put up with it since new but it on good terms with the dealer

Post #98023022nd Sep 2012 9:44 am
garrycol

Australia 

If it is any consolation my 07 RRS has the same issue Crying or Very sad

Post #98023922nd Sep 2012 9:55 am
pompeyboy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

TOMBIE, it was a dealer in Melbourne. There's only two, so let me know if you're likely to use one of them.

Yes, you could describe the noise as a 'tap' or 'click'. In fact a 'click' describes it pretty well.

Anyway, the original creak or click from the top centre of the dash has not reappeared. BUT, I do have other new creaks from the dash now. They annoy me to pieces but struggle to demonstrate them well in road tests around the dealer where the roads are pretty good and flat. Get it out to the roads in my area which is hilly, windy and has poorer road surfaces, and it's creaking all the time - especially with any shift of weight. To be fair, the dealer has offered for one of heir engineers to have the car for the weekend for a more extensive road test. I might just take them up on that at the next service.

Richard
 D4 SDV6 HSE, Fuji White  
Post #98151225th Sep 2012 1:31 pm
Jason113

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 GS Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Matt R wrote:
I had the same problem after a few months of D4 ownership.
Dealer very helpful - fully understood the problem and how it was caused.

The creak / crack noise from top of dash/ bottom of screen area turns out to be very common on D4s.
Apparently the cure involved removing the dashboard and wrapping some kind of self adhesive foam backed tape around the tubes that supply the air vents...

Lot of work for a small issue, but they did it under warranty and now it's perfect - no creaks, cracks or squeaks !!!

Hi matt
I wonder if you can help - I have the same problem and after 4 visits to the dealer I'm struggling to get the problem resolved.
I have sent them the fix you posted having trawled the net for a solution but Land Rover do not acknowledge the problem so the dealer can't action.

Would you be able to provide the name of the dealer who sorted out your issue as I'm hoping they'll effect the repair.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide. I will pm you but am new so have to post 3x

Kind Regards
Jase

Post #9843271st Oct 2012 9:48 pm
Jason113

Creaking dash

Jason113 wrote:
Matt R wrote:

The creak / crack noise from top of dash/ bottom of screen area turns out to be very common on D4s.
Apparently the cure involved removing the dashboard and wrapping some kind of self adhesive foam backed tape around the tubes that supply the air vents...

Lot of work for a small issue, but they did it under warranty and now it's perfect - no creaks, cracks or squeaks !!!

Hi matt
I wonder if you can help - I have the same problem and after 4 visits to the dealer I'm struggling to get the problem resolved.
I have sent them the fix you posted having trawled the net for a solution but Land Rover do not acknowledge the problem so the dealer can't action.

Would you be able to provide the name of the dealer who sorted out your issue as I'm hoping they'll effect the repair.

Thanks very much in advance for any help you can provide. I will pm you but am new so have to post 3x

Kind Regards
Jase

Post #9843301st Oct 2012 9:50 pm
Jason113

Re: Creaking dash

Jason113 wrote:
Jason113 wrote:
Matt R wrote:

Hi matt

Kind Regards
Jase

Post #9843321st Oct 2012 9:50 pm
Nimrod

United Kingdom 

got an annoying creak centre of dash sounds like its below the window. god knows what it is...

Post #103376813th Jan 2013 2:09 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GoatOfMendez

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Another clicky/tappy dash member checking in. Had it since the car was new. Always sounds like it's in the centre of the dash at the very front. As the car flexes going around a corner or hitting bumps in the road I get this clicking noise. Seems worse in the warmer weather. Have told the dealers, who are prepared to fix it under warranty. Just a tad scared of them taking the dash out. Last service they forgot to even bolt the underside steel plate over the gearbox back on tight so laws knows what they'll do to my interior!

Post #103388113th Jan 2013 12:40 pm
Jason113

GoatOfMendez wrote:
Another clicky/tappy dash member checking in. Had it since the car was new. Always sounds like it's in the centre of the dash at the very front. As the car flexes going around a corner or hitting bumps in the road I get this clicking noise. Seems worse in the warmer weather. Have told the dealers, who are prepared to fix it under warranty. Just a tad scared of them taking the dash out. Last service they forgot to even bolt the underside steel plate over the gearbox back on tight so laws knows what they'll do to my interior!

Mines been back 11x - had new dash and still has the problem. Now have rear seat rattle. Awful car, will bin at the earliest opportunity.

Post #104104523rd Jan 2013 8:49 pm
kz

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 4

Yep Ive got the click noise too. It happens going over speed bumps, or changing direction quickly on the road.
I took it ot the dealers before Christmas, but low and behold,they couldnt reproduce the fault. Neither could I when I picked it up.
But I did a bit of off-roading over christmas, and now the clicking is worse. I know they will find it when I take it to the dealers next.

Post #104326227th Jan 2013 8:17 am
2Springers

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I had this problem too. First dealer told me they "packed" the dashboard but the fix didn't work.

Just had Guy Salmon in Aylesford service the vehicle and they removed the windscreen,put packing under the dashboard and the problem has gone away.

Thank heavens because it was driving me crazy Big Cry

Post #10678327th Mar 2013 5:24 pm
grzesiul

Poland 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

i had the same thing and found two screws below speaker in the middle of the dash where loose making the whole dash making weird creak creak

happy now

good luck hunting it down

Post #10678377th Mar 2013 5:41 pm
moles

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Another "creaky dash" owner !!

Went into dealers and they had the car in for a day. When I picked it up they said they had cured several knocks and creaks but needed to do more !! Car now booked in for two days next week for a replacement dash.

Fingers crossed that the problem will then be solved as the rest of the car is great !!
 moles  
Post #10678807th Mar 2013 7:00 pm
pompeyboy

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Well, after a little over 2 years' of ownership, the creak/click is finally sorted!

It was driving me crazy again over the Easter break during a drive in the country. So I came back more determined than ever to get it properly fixed for good. Until now I have been taking the car back to the dealer I bought it from, so I thought I'd give the other dealer in town a crack at it, so to speak!

The techie I took out for the initial road test was brilliant. For a start, he seemed genuinely concerned that I wasn't happy. He was quickly able to actually manually replicate the creak/click by grabbing the dash top pad around the centre speaker area and pulling it towards him. The movement was imperceptible, but enough to make the exact noise every time. Once he was able to do that, he was confident of being able to trace the route-cause.

Sure enough, 3 days (!) later, I collected the car to find the noise has gone. Completely. It's actually a bit weird driving over little potholes and it doesn't make a noise. After 2 weeks I'm still expecting it to do it! But so far, so good.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the techie report -

CREAK FROM CENTRE OF DASH
ROAD TESTED AND TRACED TO CENTRE AND PASSENGER SIDE OF DASH DUE TO SIDES OF TOP DASH RUBBING AGAINST BODY
REMOVED DASH TO ACCESS AND FOUND DASH HAD BEEN RUBBING ON 3 BRACKET POINTS
INSULATED BRACKET POINTS AND REASSEMBLED DASH
ROAD TESTED AND RECHECKED FOR CREAK - OK

Good luck to those who still have this or similar issue.

Richard
 D4 SDV6 HSE, Fuji White  
Post #109387825th Apr 2013 11:47 am
LGM

Australia 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
The Creaking D4 Dash

My 2011 D4 has developed the intermittent creaking dash and it is a dead set pain in the earhole!

I read that the dash in Pompeyboy's D4 was fixed and was wondering how that fix was after all this time has passed and also wanted to know a little more on what the fix involved e.g. total dash removal?

Lindsay M

Post #153470425th Sep 2015 2:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >