Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Cruise Control
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
kenso

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Cruise Control

I have read elsewhere that this has happened to a few of you and suspect that it’s a more common issue. I to have the problem of the cruise control dropping out periodically when the increase / decrease button has been adjusted, only to come back online once the vehicle has been restarted. I have taken it back to the dealer (and I get the usual “Never heard of this happening before” look!) Confused . It will run fine for a couple of weeks and then drops out again! You find you start to get a creeping paranoia about touching any of the buttons in case you lose it again! Anyone had this fixed properly?

Cheers
Kenso

Post #1169306th Jan 2007 2:21 am
Desert Traveller

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

I had this problem, also the problems with the dealer not believing that there was a problem. In the end I was able to replicate the problem at the dealers. The fix was to to replace the micro-switches in the steering wheel. I have not had a reoccurance since.
This is a common problem.
 06 TDV6 SE with many LR and after-market extras. Used only on weekends and trips out west.
Audi TT Roadster (Daily and around town drive)
VW Eos TDI For Sale
Previously 01 TD5 and 94 TDI 

Post #1169346th Jan 2007 4:03 am
trm

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I have also experienced this problem periodically, and are waiting for the 24,000k service to have it addressed in a couple of months

Post #1169526th Jan 2007 10:57 am
White Disco

Australia 

I had same problem. LR repl. the clock-spring, inside the steering collum, as I was getting an SRS airbag warning. The SRS fault was fixed but I still get cruise dropping out from time to time. It wont come back on after braking sometimes.
I use it and hope for the best. I'll get it checked next month at 24k serv.
Regards,
David.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #12006816th Jan 2007 3:52 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Cruise Control

I had this problem last year. They replaced the steering wheel contacts and have had no problem since. It was a common problem on the 05 models particularly.
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #12007616th Jan 2007 5:38 am
away

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I might be well wide of the mark here but I had the same problem in my '05 Pajero. It went on for ages and the dealer couldn't replicate it or find any info about it. Then they had a new guy start there and he fixed it straight away.

It seems there are some sensors in the steering wheel of the Pajero that interact with the automatic stability controls. These sensors return information about the angle the steering wheel is at and apparently, what slope the vehicle is on (front to back).

It seems that if someone does a wheel alignment for you and takes the steering wheel off to set it correctly after the alignment, then these sensors must be reset in the ECU. Naturally, not many tyre services know about this and they usually don't tell you if they took the steering wheel off during the alignment process.

What happens is that if the sensors aren't reset, the stability and traction systems get the wrong messages and try to activate. The first thing that iniates is the cancelling of the cruise control.

Anyway, it fixed the problem. Like I say, I might be way off the mark here, but maybe LR have a similar system? And all of the fixes I've seen (above) would have required the dealer to remove the wheel, thus requiring the reset to be done! Anyone got any ideas?
 D4: Expedition Rack, 104 Litre Long Range Tank, Raised Air Intake
D3: Every bloomin' thing but the kitchen sink 

Post #12107218th Jan 2007 5:22 am
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

The sensor cluster isn't in the steering wheel - and LR's don't use that type of CC anyway. - nice idea though Wink
The most likely (and most reported) cause is the 'clock spring' behind the steering wheel, the buttons are hard wired to this, which is basically a flexible PCB. The buttons do not directly interface digitally, they produce a voltage via a resistive ladder which is then compared to the reference voltage to extrapolate the action required.
As all steering wheel electrics are connected through the 'clock spring', it follows that problems with the audio buttoms or airbag warnings can also be attributed to this - although the 'airbag' warning light also covers the SRS components

Post #12119018th Jan 2007 1:00 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
kenso

Cruise control

Dealer says that some steering hub is cracked, which proberly explains the knocking feeling going over corigations! let you know if the new hub fixes it!

Cheers Kenso

Post #13318326th Feb 2007 6:21 am
kenso

Repair

well, whatever he replaced seems to have fixed it, although I reckon the steering feels abit sloppy over rough ground, they say nothing is wrong, mabey it is my imagination!

Kenso

Post #14333427th Mar 2007 7:22 am
White Disco

Australia 

Good to see You got it fixed Kenso.
Hope You don't cop the cyc. looming up there.
 Did you think I would leave you crying,
When there's room in my D3 for 7,
Climb in here Joe we'll soon be flying,
I can go just as fast with 7.

2005 TDV6 S with Terrain Response (& all that entails), Tasmods (gorn). 2008 TDV6 HSE (gone). A Dark Side umbrella (here) & car (here).

Volkswagen Golf (SWMBO's)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO22SHOMSAH)
Datsun Insult (SWTSMBOBIO19SHOMSAH)

4 BMW's (Stents, not the silly cars)

Formerly RED DISCO 

Post #14333527th Mar 2007 7:33 am
Jamo

Australia 

Well done, Kenso!

Did you get the reversing sensors working OK?
 Have a nice day!
2010 Cayenne Diesel with PASM & Off Road Pkg
2005 HSE D3 (Sold) 

Post #14334027th Mar 2007 8:01 am
Craig S

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
Cruise Control

Hi Kenso,

I too had the same problem with my cruise control, reported the issue for my first service the dealer could not replicate the error. For the second attempt, I gave clear instructions on how to replicate the error by tapping the up or down arrow in cruise control mode and was told a software version was the cause. This was upgraded but no sooner had I left the dealer when loan and behold the cruise control dropped out again. Took the car back and this time they reported a fault with one of the components and that it had to be replaced. The repairs were performed yesterday and a quick test last night indicated it has been fixed, but only time will tell.

Craig

Post #14387428th Mar 2007 11:41 pm
kenso

Sensors

Yes Craig, that story is identical to mine, your cc also should be fixed now. Very Happy

No wind and a little rain!

The sensors are Censored tried everything and rang Kaymar when I told the woman that answered that I was having problems with the sensors she asked what vehicle? when I said D3 she scoffed! as if to say I knew you were gong to say that! I felt the mechanic at Kaymar was trying to BS me with his suggestions Censored so now I have a play with them when I feel emotionally strong, one day who knows I might suss it! until then I just turn them off when reversing. Thanks anyway for asking Jamo Thumbs Up

Also anyone know if Haggis has passed on or something he promised me one of his 5 spokes yet I cannot get him to answer his PMs!

Kenso

Post #14389329th Mar 2007 5:31 am
RetiredBob

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3

Kenso - are you talking about the sensors in the Kaymar rear bar etc??
If so, I initially had a bit of a problem with mine but after a bit of fiddling at h ome they now work OK. The only problem is that they are more sensitive when there is a spoon drain when reversing - they pick up the uneven road.

Regards

Post #14431029th Mar 2007 11:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >