DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Cruise control - disappearing act
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Adzbaby

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Cruise control - disappearing act

Hi there,

I had a search round the forum and didn't find any similar issues on this topic.

I've got a strange issue with the cruise control (cc) on my '54 hse. The cc is available and functional I'd say about 90% of the time I go to use it. Sometimes when it decides to flake out it's N/A after ignition and have just started off, whilst other times I could be using it, might have to use the brake or drop below 20mph and it then refuses to re-engage when I back up to speed. In both cases, it will normally will return after a restart and will behave again. It has however occured a little more frequently over the last month.

Anyone else had this or have any ideas what could be the issue? It seems that it likely to be some form of sensor that is dodgy or switch? Confused

Cheers Adam.

Post #6444904th May 2010 7:22 am
Baben

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Probly the clock spring.

Try driving about 40km/h (on a deserted road) and turn the steering and then push the cruise button. This worked sometimes for me, and proves its the clock spring IMO

Post #6444924th May 2010 7:46 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Tis the same as I previously had, and my cruise would'nt normally return till I switched off then on. Quickly diagnosed as the Clock Spring/Rotary Coupler, and is a known issue on the early D3's.

If you are to repair yourself, its airbag and wheel off to reveal this

The Clock spring, its basically a cartridge with electronic foil that carries the messages from the buttons past the steering column.

Post #6445074th May 2010 8:51 am
Gene_Genie

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had the same issue, however after I fitted a new steering wheel and plugged everything back in the problem hasn't manifested itself again. Can be done quickly and maybe worth a try?

Post #6445214th May 2010 9:52 am
Adzbaby

Argh, just wrote a externsive reply and IE timed out and I lost all the text!!!!

here I go again.......Short hand this time

Thanks for replies.

Sounds like it could be the coupler but would the other functions be affected as they seem to be fine?
Would it be worth removing the wheel and checking the connections and cleaning up the contacts? replacing the steering wheel sounds expensive (or is it and if not wheres the best place to get one?), how much is this coupler and anyone got a part number?

I've contacted the main dealer to check if the coupler has been replaced under service action Q045, it has FLRSH so it should have given the age. Waiting for them to call me back.

I will try whacking the wheel next time it disappears as well and see if it brings it back (as it did for another member).

cheers all.

Post #6446344th May 2010 12:28 pm
AndrewW

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

Mine did all sorts of random failures - went off on its own, would be not there on switch-on or not there after inactivation by button or by brake pedal, loads of failure scenarios but ALWAYS was available after ignition off/on.

I argued it must be software, but new buttons / rotary coupler sorted it 100%.

Maybe a faulty switch system confuses the s/w.

Or maybe the LR gods are angry and need the sacrifice of a few green prayer-flags...
('cept they're not green and have "20" all over them Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry )

In my case I was lucky and did a deal with a LR high priest in a "Waranty Ceremony" Whistle

A.
 2006 D3 finally swapped for a 2016 D4 Graphite in Graphite grey. No mods  
Post #6446394th May 2010 12:38 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Adzbaby

It appears that my vin doesn't fall into the range. But as my car is experiencing a known fault with a part LR should cover the cost of the repair?

The car has a FLRSH, so that adds weight to the argument. What do you think are my chances?

Post #6449925th May 2010 8:47 am
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Adz, I think the service action you refer to was just a minor mod to the clock spring, not replacement. They change a nut or something, to stop it moving relative to the wheel. Anyway, I have exactly the same problem, so it a new CS (any idea of price?) aorts it I might just give it a try. Although at the moment with a knocking rear suspension, faulty X-Y sensor and squealing EPB I might need to get them sorted out first! My D3s having a 103000 mile tantrum Laughing
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #6449985th May 2010 9:14 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >