Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

CTEK charging point
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
Scottydog

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Auto Mariana BlackDiscovery 4

I fitted this^^ to my daughters car, it come out next the headlight through the grill so very exposed to the elements. The rubber cover seem watertight and it’s stayed dry on the rare occasion it’s rained in the northeast of Scotland
 24MY X-Dynamic HSE Defender 110.
Discovery 4 Marina Black HSE LUX - gone
Northern Lights Violet A45 - my car
E36 Daytona Violet M3 stays under wraps - my toy. 

Post #191986427th Feb 2018 11:06 pm
Yankee_Rover

United States 2008 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Lux Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

COFROAD wrote:
Not sure if I am in the correct thread but would appreciate some advise on a CTEK battery charger.
I had the misfortune of a flat battery when I left the keys of my locked discovery 4 the other side of the garage wall and did not use the car for a week.
Ever since I have been meaning to purchase a CTEK battery charger purely to keep the battery in good condition. This week Amazon are holding their Black Friday deals and the lower spec CTEK charger MXS 3.6 was on offer for £29 so I purchased one. I understand that this model will be slow to charge but I wanted to try before purchasing a more expensive model.
A few questions:
1) The CTEK instruction manual does say in one place to connect the negative crock clip to the chassis, the additional comfort lead only fixes to the terminals behind the holding nuts. Can I connect both comfort leads direct to the battery? If so, I want to remove the negative terminal lead from the battery for safely, as advised, in order to connect the comfort lead, will this have any adverse effects on the electrics when I reconnect?
2) The vehicle manual on page 208 states that the battery should be removed for charging; can I assume the CTEK overrides this requirement?
3) The vehicle manual and the CTEK manual both state that there should be adequate ventilation around the battery when charging. I want to close the bonnet and lock the vehicle while the battery is charging, is this ok to do this? Admittedly the charger will remain outside the vehicle.
4) Can you also advise on what ah size battery is fitted to the Discovery 4? The recommended battery size for the charger is: Charging 7.0 – 75 AH Maintenance charging 7.0 – 120Ah. Many thanks

I realize this is a very old question, however, I recently bought a CTEK myself and had many of the same questions initially. To save someone else time (and my own future reference) here is what I’ve gathered relating to these questions:

1) Connect the positive lead directly to the positive battery terminal/connection block. The earth may be connected to either the battery or chassis, it does not matter for low amperage charging.

2) You may charge the battery while still in the car. This is very common and will not hurt anything.

3) It is OK to have a tender or trickle charger on the car with the bonnet closed. Again, this is very common. However, I would not use the recondition mode option on the CTEK with the battery in the car. I understand this process is for de-sulfating the battery, and I believe it will offgas more than with normal charging. Despite the gas vent tube, I wouldn’t want to risk a build up of hydrogen with this process (not a chemist, so I could be wrong). I know I have read that most people remove the battery for the Recondition mode.

3,cont) It is an option to hardwire in the flyleads the battery so you don’t need to open the bonnet for charging. If going this route, beware of routing the wires so they do not encounter areas that will chafe the wires over time. This will cause a short! If potential hazards are encountered with the routing (such as exiting the battery box), reinforce the wire with some protective coverings and electrical tape, and inspect often!

Speaking of recon mode, I got the wife’s battery to take a 13.3v charge after using recon where it was previously sitting at 12.6v
 2008 LR3 HSE, 4.4L V8  
Post #227941117th Feb 2022 4:39 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I would add these changes to what you say based on what I have gathered from the forum and from CTEK themselves:

1. If charging the battery in the car ,connect the negative to the chassis /earthing point. Connecting direct to the the negative terminal of the battery bypasses the Battery management system (BMS). Assuming your car uses one. It is also considered safer.

2. For AGM batteries (standard on newer models) the Recon function is not required. It achieves nothing with this type of battery. (Info from CTEK).
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #227942017th Feb 2022 5:28 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >