Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3 10 years old, The future.. advice wanted.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just enjoy it, it could be the last car you buy and human drivers could be outlawed within a generation according to this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45786690

Seems plausible enough considering the major problems with horse drawn transportation (what to do with all the 5h17?) at the start of the 20th C simply disappeared thanks to the internal combustion engine.

We tend to overestimate the short-term and underestimate long-term changes.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #199057710th Oct 2018 10:24 am
adam

United Kingdom 

^ Spookily, I've just read that article and was going to post.

Its interesting and relevant but it forgets to mention one thing - folk like us on this site and the myriad of other sites where a car is an aspirational 'product' to own and enjoy, not a simple tool to get from a - b as cheaply as possible.

I guess the majority of car owners would ditch them tomorrow if there was a cheaper alternative that was as convenient, but still a lot of folk who would want to 'own' a car?

Post #199057910th Oct 2018 10:29 am
paulmeryan

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Indeed, there'll be loads of people who still want to drive for pleasure or necessity, I can't see automated vehicles working in all situations like farming and many other industries.

But even here we already have self-driving harvesters and the like and if, as the writer suggests, there will be an imperative to remove human drivers altogether for safety and economic reasons then it won't be viable if your insurance hammers you for driving your own car. In future we'll maybe only be able to drive ourselves on private tracks having ferried the cars there on driver-less lorries or if they're stored on site.
 VR6 > 330D Touring > D3 HSE > !?XC90?!  
Post #199058310th Oct 2018 10:39 am
Dave Shirley

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Diesel and petrol cars will be around for a long time yet to come. Electric vehicles are not truly zero emission, the electricity has to come from somewhere and fuel has to be used to generate it even if it comes from windmills because the windmills have to be manufactured and maintained in the first instance which requires energy to make the components. And is the country suitably wired up for recharging these vehicles, eg if everybody came home from work and they all started to charge their vehicles at the same time would this not be a big problem with supply not to mention overloading the grid. And while on the rant if the government are so keen on taxing us all into oblivion on emissions why do they still allow activities like motorsport and airshows such as RIAT at Fairford every year to carry on where thousands of gallons of fossil fuel get burnt and are not really essential to life? And finally an opinion on whether or not any Discovery will become a future classic I would say that they never will as definitely not built to last. Whistle Rolling Eyes Whistle

Post #199058610th Oct 2018 10:49 am
ReadySalted

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

In the long term I have no idea, but in the short term personally I think the new defender might have an impact on this.

If the new defender goes as expected by me and most other cynics then it will become a round-cornered, ultra high tech, ultra high spec piece of bling and mean the only boxy rugged genuinely good off road landy still in relatively high numbers is the disco 3&4 which most people can't tell apart anyway. On that basis I think the draw for people wanting our vehicles might be quite high, and logically if there is demand, then prices stay high, and people will pay to maintain them.

If however, landrover come out with a piece of pure brilliance which ticks the rugged, offroad, utility vehicle boxes, as well incorporating modern tech and styling, then the disco 3 (and probably 4), could well find themselves looking a bit old and boring quite quickly.

Sadly the landrover line-up of the 90s with the clearly defined customer bases (ie RR for luxury, the disco for exploration, the defender for farmers, and the freelander for mums) has been distilled into what are now just a range of luxury vehicles which people buy depending on their budget and what they like the look of. Not their needs or the practicalities.

Post #199058910th Oct 2018 10:57 am
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

I bought a low miler D2 V8 as it’s a lot simpler, cheaper parts, goes as well as a defender off road, is starting to appreciate if a good one as most have been off roaded and modded all the way to the scrappers.

You get in one and it has a “classic” feel to it rather than an “out of date”

I may be wrong but then it’s a cheap car to repair and didn’t cost me much to get something that’ll do everything a defender will do but comfort of a D3.

More chance of D2 being a classic than a D3 (mainly due to quaintness of the older generation and actual affordability to keep classic on the road) although personally I think it’s a shame as I love the D3 design.

Only my opinion - may be utterly wrong Smile
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #199062810th Oct 2018 12:42 pm
professorpool

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

The LEZ's don't concern me as the D3 is very much the second car - used for camping and touring.

The rise in car tax for diesel cars does not concern me as I am already paying the highest and that tax is not retrospective anyway.

It is difficult to imagine a D3 as a classic, mind you, I wish I still had the V8 D1 I had years ago as an EDC because if you squint a bit it could be classed as one.

The reason that D1's and D2's are modded for laning is the ridiculous cost of deafeners.

I still rate the D3/D4 as a brilliant long distance cruiser and ideal for "overlanding" where the driving will be over 95% road, ie, most overlanding - lets be honest about it.
 D3 07 SE - still going strong
D3 07 HSE - gone to car heaven
FL1 - gone to Romania
D3 05 HSE - gone to a divorce diet
D1 V8 manual - gone but not forgotten
RR Classic - gone to car heaven

Jeeps, Lexus, X-trails... Too many to name.. 

Post #199065010th Oct 2018 1:31 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

"that tax is not retrospective"

Yet.

Policies are being driven by ideals over pragmatism, and usually come from folk living in an urban bubble with decent infrastructure who ignore the inconvenience of truth regarding our power generation capabilities.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #199065710th Oct 2018 1:55 pm
professorpool

Are you suggesting this banding will change?

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables...march-2001
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #199065810th Oct 2018 1:59 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Absolutely possible. Not saying it will, but I am saying it could.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #199075410th Oct 2018 7:26 pm
professorpool

Well yes, anything is possible, however, extremely unlikely. There is no history of it nor precedent for it. We are rapidly approaching the tenth anniversary of the youngest D3. The average age of death of a car is 12 years. The government are no more interested in the tax revenue of a tiny proportion of the cars on the road today than they ever have been in the history of car tax.

I’m not going to worry and nor should anyone else. I would be more worried about other factors taking a D3 off the road like the gearbox, corrosion or other catastrophic failures.
FL1 - gone to Romania

Post #199077910th Oct 2018 8:11 pm
Dan_NL

Moo wrote:
Low Emission Zones will kill the D3. The future for the D3 is scrap.

.. unless someone develops a electric engine and battery pack that fits in the engine bay.. Mr. Green

Then they will be immortal.. Idea

Post #199083310th Oct 2018 9:44 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

It would be a nice thought, but sadly I don’t think 2.7 tons of 4x4 lends itself to electric power very easily.

Post #199083510th Oct 2018 9:48 pm
Dan_NL

Quote:
It would be a nice thought, but sadly I don’t think 2.7 tons of 4x4 lends itself to electric power very easily.

.. they make 40 tons electric trains too.. 8)

Post #199083910th Oct 2018 10:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >