Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Had my D3 for 6 hours and it has delveloped a noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Inuit

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Had my D3 for 6 hours and it has delveloped a noise

Well picked my 07 auto D3 up at 3pm today and despite a few issues with the service history - posted in a seperate post and almost losing the plot with the bluetooth voice activation system i seem to have developed a problem.

The test drive last week and the trip home and we took the long way back, including back roads and motorway we could not believe how quiet it was.

Anyway, decided about 9pm to take it out for a night drive, could not wait until the morning and had a tour around for about 30 mins, pulled over to swap drivers and as we pulled off the engine is now making a noise. I notice there is a lot of odd engine noise threads.

If i am stationery and rev the engine it sounds fine, but as i acclerate i get a soft tapping sound, take my foot off the acelerater and coast and it vanishes. Another thread seemed to indicate a fuel pump issue and after reading a lot fo the threads it seems to sound the closest noice and issue. Do not think i am losing power, it is hard to tell as i have only driven it for an hour and i was being gentle with it on the trip back tonight

Any thoughts, still under warranty, so it will go back to the dealers, but only had the car a few hours Sad

Post #5979606th Feb 2010 12:12 am
Inuit

Spent an hour or so back at the dealers today whilst they investigated the tapping sound under the bonnet. Took a mechanic out for a spin to demo the noise, then they had a poke around 'under the hood' for a while. Verdict after all this was that they did not know what was the causing the noise, so I've got to take it back again next week so they can have it for a whole day to investigate further.

Fingers crossed for next time then...

Also asked them why they did not fit a new air filter at it's second A service they gave it last week. They are looking into that too...

Post #5996588th Feb 2010 11:31 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I'm pretty sure the air filter isn't changed during an A service - only during a B service Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #5996678th Feb 2010 11:42 pm
Inuit

The maintenance check sheet has it under A service 45k/3years as far as I can tell.

It gets changed on the B service at 90k though.

Post #5996748th Feb 2010 11:51 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Check it has had the HP fuel pump recall done if it was in the VIN range. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #5996768th Feb 2010 11:52 pm
Inuit

Cheers, will do Smile

We did ask before buying it if it was all up to date recall/mods/latest firmware wise etc etc, and was assured everything was all up to date. No stamps in the back of the book in the recall section we noticed when we got the thing home though Confused

Post #5996819th Feb 2010 12:01 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

You have to take into account that the Euro 4 TDV6 is slightly harsher and noisier than the early models. My 2008 model does have a faint diesel clatter that is audible under light throttle. The tone of the engine does change as the load increases/decreases. The VN turbo will make the diesel clatter alter pitch as throttle position and engine load changes. My previous 54 plate D3 was quieter.

My advice is don't panic.

Post #5996889th Feb 2010 12:07 am
Inuit

Maybe it is the norm, I hope not though. Didn't notice the noise on the test drive, and we were listening out for such things carefully as we were possibly about to buy it. The mechanic said it sounded louder than normal and didn't sound quite right. The guy on the service desk came back from the workshop and said yes they thought it was making a noise but they were unsure what was causing it, and the dealer is having it back in for a day to look at it again in more depth. If the noise was normal I'd of thought they would have said so and would not have asked for it to be brought back in for another look Confused

Post #5997049th Feb 2010 12:32 am
Inuit

After it had spent a day at the dealers, was told over the phone it was fixed and the noise was now gone. Yippie Very Happy

Cause was given as being a loose body pannel.

Was also told they had fitted a new air filter to it. None of the 5 people I've spoken to about this at various times could tell me why it was not changed at the service though. Anyway, it's got a new one now.

Told when actualy collecting it a bit more detail about the cause. The noise was due to one of the 4 main bolts that hold the body onto the chassis being loose Shocked

Drove it home & it is of course still making the tapping noise we complained about & sounds just the same as when we took it in Rolling Eyes

But even though the annoying noise is still there, I am glad we complained about it as I guess this 'loose bolt' they found was not a good thing to have anyway, and may have gone undetected otherwise for possibly sometime.

Anyway, need to take another D3 owner out in it for a quick spin around the block to see if they say thiers also makes this sound, to see if it is the norm or to see if we are just going mad & hearing things Laughing

MrInuit.
Chief car washer/polisher/vacume cleaner operative...

Post #60470316th Feb 2010 10:53 pm
NJF

The noise is normal. When we took a test drive in a D3 it was in the Euro III engine and it was superb. Then our car was delivered and the Euro IV engine was a tap-tap-tap disappointment. (See lots of threads on this about 3 years ago.) At first it really bugged us. After about 15,000 km it was much less obvious and now, at 75,000 km we rarely hear it. Partly that's because the engine seems to have broken in, partly because we're now very well conditioned to the noise. Wink

I think it is an outstanding engine. Hats off to the design team.

Post #60471716th Feb 2010 11:06 pm
Landynut

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

I also took posession of my 07 Auto SE D3 three weeks ago. I too noticed an annoying "tappetty" noise when accellerating which dissapears when you cruise or idle. I asked the stealer to check it out while they were attending to some other items that were not working properly on the vehicle. They said that the engine sounded "normal" and if it got worse to call them again.

Fantastic car though all the same compared to my 53 plate TD5.
 If it's not a Landrover I am not interested!  
Post #60607518th Feb 2010 11:20 pm
Inuit

I have turned the radio up, the logic 7 is a great piece of kit, needs to be to hide all those noises that i get paranoid about.

Hopefully will get to a meet in the future and see if ours is normal, sure it is.

The other half is more annoyed with it than me, but luckily it is my car so he can keep his hands off driving it and stick to washing and fixing it. Laughing

Have to admit it is a great piece of kit, even if it i a little noisey. Got some snow today, cannot wait to take it out to see how it handles in the snow.

Post #60610118th Feb 2010 11:51 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >