Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

D3 Audio Install 2011 - Update .....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
simoniz

Wales 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
D3 Audio Install 2011 - Update .....

Having divested about a year ago the lowline LR unit and installed an aftermarket multimedia unit I have recently moved on again by way of an updated unit from the same manufacturer . I know some on here have voiced their opinions of the manufacturer but honestly to date the unit has not fallen over once which is more than can be said for the factory fit LR units which have the same country of origin ..........

Anyway here is the new install which requires finishing off with the surround trim but otherwise up and running in my base 7 spec D3

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Had a heart stopping moment when it arrived as I was expecting a black finish not grey OMG not a good start however quickly noticed that the grey matches the LR grey of the dash so Thumbs Up

These are the quick pics - hope to put more in my gallery during the next week and post more on this

If you own a D3 with the LR lowline unit seriously consider this mod - its not big bucks and the benefits are more than worth the investment.

Thumbs Up

Last edited by simoniz on 18th Mar 2011 6:50 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #7709665th Mar 2011 8:28 pm
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Nice mod, looks the part Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #7711406th Mar 2011 11:42 am
byronnat

Wales 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
radio

after our numerous chit chat this looks excellent will order mine this week what camera have you used

Post #7711926th Mar 2011 4:27 pm
ron3005

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Looking real good Thumbs Up

Post #7711936th Mar 2011 4:28 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IBBO

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Spot On! Thumbs Up

Post #7712036th Mar 2011 5:13 pm
er1c

United States 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Bonatti GreyLR3

Looks good. Enjoy! Thumbs Up

Post #7717938th Mar 2011 4:34 am
simoniz

As promised here is an update on the install having settled down to the unit for a couple of weeks now ..........

Having used the unit and explored its true potential a couple of pleasant features have emerged:

1. Ipod Function
The unit comes with a plug in hard wired connection from the unit with the usual end edge connection to connect to the
apple device of choice,past experience says that it will only partially work with an iphone or not at all. With my previous
unit i used the bluetooth capability to stream music iphone to unit. Having tried retrospectively with this unit big surprise
... not only does the unit connect no issues to an iphone 4 but then you can totally control all the functions for music ,
menus via touchscreen or remote as supplied with the unit Thumbs Up . Next bonus is that the connection
powers/charges the phone also both whilst in ipod function and when you select other unit functions (i.e Radio).
Very Happy
2. Steering Wheel Controls
The unit has wiring supplied to connect to steering wheel controls and a menu in its setup to configure the steering wheel
button functions once connected. Connection was very easy requiring only 2 wires to be connected. Currently have
configured to the standard LR button layout for functions but the menu allows this to be changed so phone
functions/mute etc.. are possible to control using the 5 standard LR fitted buttons , I do not have the LR telephone
connectivity kit 8)
3. Reversing Camera
Having already done a camera install whereby the camera was on demand giving a permanent rear view I did not want to
lose that functionality but wanted the function of the screen switching to the camera when reverse is selected. To acheive
this I have had to split the one Video feed via splitter lead to have two feeds- one to the camera input on the unit - the
other to the auxillary video input of the unit. So now I have rear view on demand and when reverse gear is selected
regardless of whatever function is selected on the unit the screen switches automatically to the rear view camera, audio
of whatever function the unit is in continues to play whilst viewing reverse ..... Thumbs Up once reverse is deselected its
as you were !!.
When the digital TV tuner arrives the Auxillary video feed will have to split again to accomodate the video signal ...... Wink
4. USB Connectivity
The unit has on its front face a mini USB socket and a flylead is supplied to hook up to a memory stick etc.... . In use
with the motorised screen angled then the lead trailing down has on a number of occasions caused concern as it gets
knocked by the arm when changing gear,the possibility to snap off the plug into the unit is very real although a longer
lead i had did work out better - worst still the unit socket could get damaged if you accidentally knock it in innocence
rendering it dead at worst. The unit also comes with a USB connection on the rear but the propsect of another trailing
lead did not appeal so a USB socket set into the centre console connected to the units rear USB connection would appeal
and address the shortcoming of the front face connection - also a neat install .... . After some thought location decided I
set about the following:

I have the smokers pack fitted below the heater control unit on the centre dash/console,not a smoker but that's what my
55 D3 came with,to the left of the lefthandside 12v aux socket is a small flat uprght area between the 12V socket and the
left side of the dash H trim. This seem an ideal location being low & away from driving activity and unobtrusive. First step
was to do the obligatory strip off of he H trim and the upper switch pack,audio unit & heater control pack leaving me with
this:

Click image to enlarge

Inspection behind the smokers pack revealed that my plan needed revising as the clearances would not allow a flush surface install using the USB lead I intended to use :

Click image to enlarge

The rethink resulted in a small amount of the lead having to protrude out,not a showstopper and would still look the part..

The next step would have been to remove the smokers pack to assist the install however i could not work out how to release it so had to do the install with it in place ,mildly irritating but workable. Having marked up the location small drill holes to assist the removal of the trim plastic was in order:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Once removed the cutaway was then trimmed to create neat edges:

Click image to enlarge

This then revealed the plastic moulding behind which also required drilling through to allow the USB plug body to pass through:

Click image to enlarge

The hole had to be quite large to allow the USB plug to pass through and turn allowing it to go upwards to the audio unit cavity above. As can be seen the space available to thread the plug & cable was tight:

Click image to enlarge

Once the plug & cable was threaded through the socket had a channel cut into its plastic surround on 3 of its 4 faces,this being the thickness of the soon to be surrounding trim . By having this channel the socket would then mount into the dash trim by sliding it in from the open end of the smokers pack. Once inserted the socket would fit into the dash trim on 3 sides and be encased on the 4th side by the side of the H trim. This would give a secure mount which would withstand the pressure of pushing on the socket when inserting a device and the force of pulling on it when removing a device ... time will tell if stands up to this Whistle

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With the socket inserted and cabling threaded upward for connection to the audio unit reassembly of the centre dash commenced:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

With all connections made & H trim re attached the finished result - memory stick inserted :

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Apologies for the camera shake on the last picture - the screen resolution of the system is not that bad Laughing

Overall very happy with the finished result Very Happy

I could not rule out modifying this replacing the USB socket for a flush fitting one but we will see.

Next step is to introduce a mini USB hub behind the dash and run 2 more connections, 1 into the upper glove box and the 2nd to the back of the centre console alongside the aux jack & 12v aux socket. This will give the 2nd row seats connectivity and in the glove box a socket such that a device could be charged in there whilst having music or video playing through the other connection in either the front or row 2 ....... be that from a memory stick,hard drive or memory card in a reader !!!

Hope this inspires & helps others to mod their systems. I have other mods to add to the system still so will be back in a few weeks on this ........

Thumbs Up

Post #77558517th Mar 2011 10:07 pm
BigjimSA

South Africa 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Nice job on the USB "port" - looks the business IMO

Post #77572318th Mar 2011 10:36 am
simoniz

Cheers fella ....

Quite pleased with the result !

Thumbs Up

Post #77592618th Mar 2011 6:49 pm
gadgetman

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Indus SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, I'm new to the site. Basically got myself a new all singing and dancing audio, video, gps satnav unit. Also got a interface plug to join the disco plug to the audio din plugs. The disco has 2 plugs, one which mate's the interface i got and a smaller one. Is the smaller one for the steering wheel control or what. Can someone give me some indication of how to make the right connections. I have changed audio units in older discos but they all seem simple to this. Rolling with laughter

Post #114671822nd Aug 2013 2:28 am
993porky

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi simoniz
Old thread but was wondering if you had the photos as its a project im interested in doing(adding to my long list between disco and my defender)
Not sure why they wont load up on screen,ive tried refreshing page but nothing Big Cry
Cheers Bow down

Post #191368211th Feb 2018 11:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >