DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Wiring in a dash camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Wiring in a dash camera

Gents
has anyone had experience with installing a dash cam?
I was nearly wiped out the other day and have bit the bullet and purchased a dash cam.

The diagram suggest it should be placed on the front window near the rear vision Mirror, the kit comes with a 12v cable about 1.5m long, the diagram shows the cord should be run from the 12v outlet, through the top of the footwell, up the A pillar and across the top of the windscreen to the camera.

I hate aftermarket cables dangling everywhere, I would be grateful if anyone has done
This before on a D3?

Post #16521619th May 2016 7:07 am
Tripe

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Post #16521679th May 2016 7:15 am
dc130john

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

Hi Tripe, on my wife's D4 I mounted on the front screen to the left of the rear view mirror and connected the feed into the 12v interior light. works really well and no trailing wires. If you search there is a post on the forum. Good luck. I used a RoadHawk HDand it is superb. Smile
 D4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Galway Green Black Leather Adaptive Xenons Logic 7 TV Pre-heater
IID BT
Discovery 5 HSE R Dynamic 3.0 Ingenium Carpathion Grey
Devon & Cornwall 4X4 Response
Dorset & Somerset Air Ambulance
2EODZT Amateur Radio Call Sign 

Post #16521709th May 2016 7:23 am
Pappy

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Installing dash cam

I've got the Blackvue front and rear facing camera setup.
They both swivel to face inside the car as they can record when the car is parked and turned off.
Which brings me to how I installed it seeing as I need constant power and there's a rear facing camera on the rear window that connects directly to the front camera on the windscreen.
Simply put, I ran a cable through the right hand rubber hose that houses the rear window squirter hose (the left one was chokkers with cables - no room for anything else), and into the headlining. To do that, you undo the two round plastic knobs that can be used as cargo restraint anchors all the way and drop the plastic ceiling plate right at the rear of the headliner next to the rear window.
From there I ran the cable to the left hand side of the car and fed the cable in and under the headliner, once I fed it past the rear pillar, all the way down the left hand side of the car until we made it to the front camera which is behind and to the left of my rearview mirror. Dropping the front centre cabin light cluster in front of the rearview mirror allowed me to loop, cable tie and store the extra cable length and feed it nicely down the side of the rearview mirror presenting itself to the front camera. Nice and neat.
Now for the power. As it runs both while the car is on and running and whist she's off and locked up if required, I need power off accessories and permanent sources. I ran the power cable back the way we came to the top side of the passenger window and then down into the fuse box behind the glove box. No biggie, I know. I chose the rear right window fuse for the accessories source (whilst driving) and the horn fuse for the constant source (while the car is off, locked and parked). There's a small controller box about half the size of a ciggy packet that lives in there where the fuse box is which is where I turn on the 'parking mode' if required. It also acts as a hub for the cameras.
And there you have it. Nice and neat, tucked away, clean and tidy job.
I can't recommend the Blackvue front and rear camera highly enough.
It's wifi so it can be configured through an app on your phone.
It's Apple compatible.
Its 1080p HD.
They face inwards if desired.
Parking mode.
GPS positioning.
Speed recording.
They tell you if the car has been knocked or moved.
You can also download footage directly on to your phone or if you park your car within your home wifi, straight into the cloud for your hard drive/computer at home.
Please find the pictures attached. As mentioned I've since run the rear camera cable inside the right hand rubber loom hose so no cables can be seen anywhere and they're all protected and out of the way.
I hope this helps - and I'm not an electrician by any stretch.
Good luck mate.

Post #17886748th Mar 2017 8:23 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >