DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 Bumpers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dougal

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4
D3 Bumpers

Hi Folks

Looked for a similar thread but couldn't find one - although I'm sure it will have been covered at some stage.

Does anyone know the speed which the front bumper of a D3 can withstand without being damaged or the air bags going off?

SWMBO had a wee altercation with a Fiesta last night and although the D3 is untouched (apart from a crack in the number plate) the rear of the Fiesta was...well...buckled Whistle (actually it was well buckled)

Thanks in advance
Dougal Thumbs Up

Post #6553531st Jun 2010 1:49 pm
sideview

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackLR3

It's not so much the speed but severity of impact/deceleration plus a bunch of other factors it calculates. In the US regulations a full-on front impact into say a brick wall airbags are to deploy at speeds at least 14mph FWIW, probably same or similar in the UK.
 I'm not so good at giving advice...may I offer you a sarcastic comment instead?

Haiti Earthquake Relief: Donate Your Frequent Flier Miles 

Post #6553821st Jun 2010 3:41 pm
Dougal

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Cool, thanks. I thought I had read 15mph for the airbags to deploy so that sounds about right. Thumbs Up

I'm more looking for rough rules of thumb for the bumper damage. I understand that there are a number of factors in elastic collisions (mass and velocity of both vehicles before and after the collision, energy losses due to friction, noise, heat etc etc) Yawn but did I read somewhere that an impact of less than 7.5mph would not damage a LR bumper? ie. a D3 travelling at 7.5mph hitting a stationary and immoveable object.

I may have dreamt it Whistle

Post #6553981st Jun 2010 4:17 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

You will be claiming on your insurance anyway for the the other vehicle so you may as well get the bumper checked and fixed as it will all be on the same claim. Idea
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #6556432nd Jun 2010 12:24 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >