Page 3 of 4 <1234>
The Beastmaster

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Wow! I love this site Thumbs Up

Post #21578616th Oct 2007 7:50 pm
roamingman

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
bed in d3

Hi me & boss also made bed in D3 blow up matress with internel pump (tesco's) wife made curtains Thumbs Up

was on wild wales 5 day trip. Very Happy we used a caranex on back for cooking and eating also to store other bit's and bob's Thumbs Up
 convoy For Heroes record holder (348)
Live life 'til you die
Team Teddy Bears Picnic 

Post #36742531st Oct 2008 5:17 pm
alan lockwood

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

"camped" in ours for the first time at the w/end.double airbed sleeping bag n king sized quilt very toasty.used black bin liners for blanking out the windows but will definately make something more substantial like scolliss has done Thumbs Up
 one life,live it
gotalife,livinit,lovinit....

Black D3 with andorrian bramble rash(oh Censored )
Range Rover vogue 

Post #3687644th Nov 2008 2:37 pm
tucker_j

England 
Disco 3, the only way to camp

This year I decided that sleeping in the car had to be better than a tent when embarking on my annual weekend away with 'the lads'

I brought an Aerobed which at 120cm wide fits neatly in the back and at 2m long is ideal for a tall chap like me. This does mean sleeping with the tailgate open but this was resolved with the addition of a Gazebo which doubled up as a nice area for cooking and stuff.

This picture shows the interior, note as no ladies were present the bed is in it's naturally un-made state Laughing

And this second picture shows the outside, many people were impressed with my 'Land Rover crashed into a Gazebo' setup

I put a windscreen blind up but did not bother with side windows as they are tinted and if people really wanted to look in and see me sleeping off an evenings intake of beer then they were welcome.

Post #3706608th Nov 2008 10:39 am
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4
Re: Disco 3, the only way to camp

tucker_j wrote:
This does mean sleeping with the tailgate open.

Surely you could have moved the front seats forward ,packed out the rear footwells [with your kit] and slept with the tailgate shut - though with an annexe I can see how it's not that important.
Thumbs Up
BTW also found it best sleeping with your head at the tailgat end - it's flatter and you can let your feet dangle at the other end.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #3706638th Nov 2008 10:45 am
tucker_j

England 

Feet on the tailgate so no need to dangle Smile I'll try it the other way round nex year though as there is always room to improve and I might get so lazy that I can't be bothered to put the annex up.

Post #3706658th Nov 2008 10:47 am
ronp

tucker_j wrote:
I might get so lazy that I can't be bothered to put the annex up.

That's why I used my D3 to camp in.
Couldn't be @rsed with the hassle of erecting & dismantling the tent.

Next camp out .... poss January!!
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #3706738th Nov 2008 11:29 am
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Good idea there, maybe not so if you are intocicated. In the eyes of the law, being caught over the limit with plod in a sarcy mood, or bored, or arrest tally down and if the keys are in your pocket or ignition, drunk in charge is just as bad.

I know you would'nt but would they,,,,,,,,,,errrr nope!!!!!!!breathe into this.

Post #3706998th Nov 2008 1:35 pm
ronp

I thought you'd need to be on a Public Highway for Plod to do you ??
Then again I've heard stories of drivers being done in pub car parks.

Confused
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #3707038th Nov 2008 1:41 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

yep, we had a driver on our firm, he was on a 11 hour break cos of accumilated tacho driving, and was in the M4 services and had half a bottle of wine, not sure why, but was breathalised cos the services saw him putting the bottle in the bin, removed it as evidence and waited for him to retire for the night.

Now got a 9 month ban, £1500 fine, lost his job and home cos of an over vigilent migrant worker snitching without knowing the facts.

Laughing Laughing Three companies linked to ours now ban the use of the same services in respect. thats no Eddie Stobarts, Tesco, Prestons of Potto.

Post #3707058th Nov 2008 1:48 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

If you set it up for sleeping you should be OK I am sure, otherwise they could also do you for having a drink and sleeping in a motorhome Shocked

Post #3707068th Nov 2008 1:49 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

AFAIK the offence is over the limit in charge of a vehicle in a public place so services, supermarket car parks, laybyes etc would be covered. But I might be wrong, it has been known! Whistle

Post #3707148th Nov 2008 2:36 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

The offence is as stated below
Sec 5(1) RTA 1988
If a person -
(a)...
(b) is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place,
after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilty of an offence .

PNLD describes 'In Charge' in this way:-
"There is no hard and fast rule or strict test for what constitutes 'in charge' for the purposes of being in charge of a vehicle whilst under the influence of drink or drugs under section 4 and being in charge of a vehicle whilst over the prescribed limit under section 5 of the 1988 Act. However, a close connection between the defendant and control of the vehicle is required. That connection may be evidenced by the defendants position in relation to the car, his actions, possession of a key which fits the ignition, his intentions as regards control of the vehicle and the position of anyone else in, at or near the vehicle."

Sec 5(2) offers a statutory defence for 'In Charge'

5(2) It is a defence for a person charged with an offence under subsection (1)(b) above to prove that at the time he is alleged to have committed the offence the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving the vehicle whilst the proportion of alcohol in his breath, blood or urine remained likely to exceed the prescribed limit .

This defence was softened in favour of the defendant in light of the Human Rights Act 1998, where it was deemed that this statutory defence was too hard to achieve. The court in the Case Law of Sheldrake v DPP in 2003 gave the folowing meaning to the statutory defence.

"It is a defence for a person charged with this offence to demonstrate from the evidence an arguable case that at the time he was alleged to have committed the offence, the circumstances were such that there was no likelihood of his driving the vehicle while the proportion of alcohol in his breath blood or urine remained likely to exceed the prescribed limit."

The court later clarified

"It is not sufficient for the accused to show that, at the time of his arrest, he was so hopelessly drunk as to be incapable of driving a motor vehicle; he must show, for example, that he had handed the keys of the vehicle to someone else or that, realising that he was adversely affected by drink, he had taken a room for the night."

In reality CPS will be very unlikely to run a Drunk in Charge unless there was reasonable likelihood that the defendant would drive while still over the limit.

The fact that the likelihood of prosecution may be fairly slim will not prevent an officer making a lawful and appropriate arrest for the purposes of prevention as well as evidence gathering.

Post #3707188th Nov 2008 2:51 pm
countrywide

Found the above on a Police website, seems as clear as mud, so the answer is maybe or maybe not, but likely to be arrested if just sat in the car with the keys. But if your in the back in a bed I think you will be OK, apart from potentially indecent exposure Shocked

Post #3707208th Nov 2008 2:53 pm
BrumLee

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I feel sorry for you lot having to fold all your rear seats down to make a bed and block the windows out for privacy Rolling Eyes Me, I can fit in the boot space and pull the roller blind over Thumbs Up Laughing Laughing

Post #3707278th Nov 2008 3:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >