DISCO3.CO.UK > Site News & Feedback

D3-friendly greenlane gallery/database?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
NoDo$h

Ukraine 
D3-friendly greenlane gallery/database?

Just a thought.

Many of us have Fugawi, Memory Map or similar. We're not always able to get along to D3 events but may well find ourselves near the venue of a past event at a later date. Would it be possible to build up a database of waypoints for D3-friendly lanes and venues? Each time someone does a lane they can upload it with dates and any notes so that other D3ers can benefit from it.

Obviously those using the database would do so at their own risk and would have to take responsibility for checking for TROs and other local restrictions as and when they visited. Each user would also have to accept that lanes can change from tame to torrid in a matter of days. To avoid random rambler revenge, it may be an idea to make it a password-protected area that could only be accessed once a member has "established" themselves on the forum, to prevent greenies joining up, posting a couple of times and then accessing the database to wreak havoc on our wheels and bodywork.

I know MemMap works with a variety of formats (.csv, .xls etc) and presume Fugawi has a similar route import function, so we'd need to agree a universal format for the gallery.

I've got a few short but worthwhile lanes that would amuse any holidaying D3 member in Dorset looking for a cheeky couple of hours away from (or with) the family that could kick things off.

What does everyone (including the big man) think?
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #25806311th Feb 2008 5:25 pm
CFB

United Kingdom 

I like the idea and know a few good lanes in Yorks/Lancs/Derbs, I guess the tricky bit will be keeping it secure which I think is essential.
 2020 BMW X1 18d XDrive X-Line Auto  
Post #25809611th Feb 2008 6:34 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilmore

England 

Good idea Alan. If we could manage to keep it out of the wrong hands and up to date, it would be very useful.

I researched a day's worth of lanes in Leics/Notts last year that I could contribute. Then there's the lanes which Ryan, Wiggs, Ent, BCB, DSL and I did in the Lakes in January that should be treated with extreme caution (for the brave/foolhardy only, trust me).

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Land Rover Defender V8, 50th Anniversary Edition
Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5
Ford Transit Custom (for the bikes) 

Post #25811811th Feb 2008 7:28 pm
Ent

Iraq 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I think it can be done but outside of this forum.
 Club Exped trailer
Club Timed Climate
Club Flappy paddle steering wheel
Club 300bhp
Club Prospeed test pilot/lab rat
Club National Luna Stella conditioner 

Post #25829512th Feb 2008 12:36 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Why outside of DISCO3?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #25837312th Feb 2008 11:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
gilmore

England 

Martin wrote:
Why outside of DISCO3?

Perhaps Ent was assuming that some kind of access control was not possible on Disco3.co.uk

Clearly it would be better to do this on the forum somehow. How would you envisage it working Martin?

regs
rob
 All opinions expressed in this posting are my own and are not necessarily those of someone who knows what they are talking about.

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #25841512th Feb 2008 1:48 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Perfectly possible to create non-hidden or restricted access forums Smile
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #25845612th Feb 2008 3:15 pm
gilmore

England 

OK, cool. Just in the spirit of brainstorming ideas, Maybe what we are looking for is:
1. A filestore where we can upload files in various formats - .e.g. .MMO, TXT etc, along with some descriptive data
2. The filestore should have some kind of access control so that only certain people can upload and/or download route information. Instinctively I feel that we should restric access to "trusted" people, or people who contribute in some way to the forum (either by postings, financially, by uploading routes or whatever)
3. We would need to implement some system of giving and revoking access to the filestore
4. We would need to agree a rule set by which access would be granted or denied.
5. A forum area where people could announce uploads, request routes or discuss/report on routes.
6. We would need some way of keeping the routes up to date or removing them as rights of way change.

Anyone else got ideas?

Or has this all been tried elsewhere on other offroading forums with bad consequences?

regs
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #25851512th Feb 2008 5:30 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

Why not make a charge which ould go to the site. Say perhaps £50.00, this would make sure that only genuine people would be intrested.
Russell
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #25869112th Feb 2008 10:00 pm
stapldm

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I think this is a great idea.

Just a reminder with my security hat on - any secure area is only as strong as it's weakest passcode. So all of you with "d3" as your passcode might want to think of a better one Whistle
 Dr. Ian Malcolm:
"Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."
Transgenic tomato anyone? 

Post #25870912th Feb 2008 10:25 pm
gilmore

England 

I was thinking in terms of contributions of postings to the site or something. Voluntary ££ contributions are one thing. I'm not sure about charging so directly. You may as well just pay 30-odd quid a year for GLASS membership and use Wayfinder
regs
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #25871112th Feb 2008 10:38 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Green lanes.

Slightly off subject.

I am new to off roading and would love to get involved, my 9 year old son is also busting to have a go . With this in mind I would like to find local green lanes, can anybody tell me where I can find out about local green lanes. Smile
Russell
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #25871412th Feb 2008 10:46 pm
SN

Find you way to the GLASS website and wayfinder
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #25871512th Feb 2008 10:49 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 
Green lanes.

Thanks SN
Have found the site but am unable to register to get the info as I need a organisation name and registration number. Any ideas how I get this info?

Russell
D4 camera club 

Post #25871712th Feb 2008 10:59 pm
gilmore

England 

When you join GLASS the Green Lane ASSociation you get access to Wayfinder. It's £33 per year for Glass membership.
http://www.shop.glass-uk.org/index.php?act...oductId=21

All GLASS members receive a quarterly magazine, plus regular newsletters. As well as access to a network of Area Reps, who have information about the lanes in their area. Regular local meetings occur across the country and several annual camping/laning weekends. Members also assist GLASS with stands at many of the countries four wheel drive and other shows. Online members may subscribe to the Email forum, the web based forum, the GLASS Website and use the Wayfinder List of Roads database.

cheers
rob

Mercedes ML350CDI
HM Moto CRE300X
Honda CRF250X
1974 Honda CB750K4
1975 Honda CB750K5

Post #25872612th Feb 2008 11:12 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >