Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

D3 Head Light Adjustment
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
crocher

South Africa 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
D3 Head Light Adjustment

Does anyone know where can I adjust the head light beam on the D3? I dont have an adjuster inside the vehicle by the light switch so want to do it manualy?

Is there a step by step guide, or has someone done it before?

Thanks
 2005 Discovery 3 V8 SE
BFG All Terrains
SERIOUSLY upgraded the interior boot lighting
Double flush done 

Post #70972429th Oct 2010 12:04 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

If you have xenons then there won't be an adjuster inside to adjust the height. It is done automatically, you can see them going through the range of movement when you first turn the lights on.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #70975529th Oct 2010 1:20 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

We're having exactly the same discussion on the spanish forum at the moment Laughing

The bi-xenon lights do not have any automatic adjustment built into them. The do have a manual adjustment using the screws on the top of the headlamp unit, but the lights are fixed in relation to the chassis.

The air suspension keeps the chassis level irrespective of the load on either axle and therefore keeps the lights pointined at the correct angle. (1-2° below horizontal).

This is of course assuming that the suspension is correctly calibrated and the manual adjustment hasn't been fiddled with Thumbs Up

zarnd - the only lights that do self-calibration/alignment when switched on are the adaptive bi-xenons. The standard bi-xenons don't move at all Thumbs Up
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70975929th Oct 2010 1:24 pm
zarnd

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

OK, sounds like I have adaptive ones then? I forgot about the air suspension keeping everything level. In my BMW there is a sensor on the rear axle that then forces the height of the light beam to lower when loaded. My girlfriends Mini has xenons and they move up and down when first firing, as do my BMW ones and my parents cars with xenons. I thought they all did this? I appreciate only the adaptive xenons would move left, right, up, down and upside down when first firing now you say it Thumbs Up

You should be able to manually adjust the aim under the bonnet somehow, but got the impression it was for when you were driving you wanted to be able to adjust them like you can in cars with halogen lights.

cheers
 Alex

2007 D3 TDV6 HSE
2009 Caterham Supersport
2005 FFRR Vogue SE 4.2 Supercharged
2004 SL55 AMG 

Post #70976029th Oct 2010 1:31 pm
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Yep - most cars with spring coil suspension and xenon headlamps have a loading sensor (as you say, usually on the rear suspension struts) to enable it to alter the aim of the beam.

Xenon headlamps, by law, must also have a sytem of auto-levelling (not the manual levelling as per halogen lamps). Most xenon headlamps will also drive the lens down and back up to calibrate themselves when you first switch on (our Golf does this).

As the D3 bi-xenons do not have any moving parts in them (due to the levelling being done by the suspension), then they can't (and indeed don't need to) move any motors to get into their initial positions.

Only non-HID headlamps are allowed to have the 1..2..3 adjustment wheel where it is down to the driver to adjust. Xenons have a far greater chance of blinding oncoming drivers so must be fully automatic.
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #70976129th Oct 2010 1:37 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >