Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D3 HSE vs D4 HSE...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Spikey

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
D3 HSE vs D4 HSE...

My 2008.5 HSE was in the dealers for a service and the recall work today and they lent me a D4 for the day, so I had my first drive. Well, I do like the significant increase in power and low down torque improvement Smile , but the ride is definately harder.. Seems a bit quieter perhaps too?

The thing is, my HSE has loads of great features on it, several of which are cost options on the D4, but which I would miss if I were to change. Things like the adaptive headlights, hybrid TV, rear passenger headphone sockets which are great on long journeys with the kids, all add on a substantial amount to the price. The latter now only available if you shell out for the rear seat entertainment system... Other smaller things, like the removal of the handle from the headrest my daughters both noticed straight away as they use these to help them climb in and out...

I guess I am wondering why LR have made these cost options, so that it becomes prohibitive to trade up from a D3 to a D4 without losing overall specification. Any thoughts on this approach and have others shelled out for options or just decided the extra power is worth having and gone without?

Post #5622098th Dec 2009 9:17 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

There are lots of negative comments made about relative specs. It's all down to marketing..... Plenty of suggestion that LR don't know what they are doing, etc. I don't buy that; the customer in the UK may not be happy, but they have rightly worked out that the customer will likely pay.

Adaptives are a small cost option, so not an issue. TV was an extra in the D3. Rear sockets, I agree; that is a retrograde step, but done I am sure to encourage people to buy the RSE package; with the advent of iPods, and the like, the reality is that you probably won't miss them. Children grow bigger, and the adjustable headrest is welcome.

I bought what I wanted.

Post #5622178th Dec 2009 9:26 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

With reference to the rear entertainment sockets - I have had 2 HSE's in the last 5 years, and have 3 kids. I can honestly say that they are more hassle than they are worth. Many times I have had to stop and sort out headphone issues, or shown them how to plug their Ipods into the aux port.

Post #5622478th Dec 2009 9:47 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Couldn't agree more, Gareth. Not an issue with me, even though they were deleted between the time I ordered and took delivery. None of the children have, other than noting they aren't there, complained at all.

For me, the most exciting thing is that I have my entire CD collection with me whenever I drive the car......it takes a long time to listen to 17 hours and six minutes of Genesis....on second thoughts, that's a stupid remark; it takes about 17 hours and six minutes.

Post #5622558th Dec 2009 9:54 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

17 hours and 6 minutes of Genesis Shocked I admire your stamina mate Laughing

Post #5622588th Dec 2009 9:57 pm
madeinengland

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Have to say my middle boy loves the rear headphones sockets, its just that the rest of us don't dig his singing!

Post #5622628th Dec 2009 10:03 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Not a Joe McElderry then?

Post #5622648th Dec 2009 10:06 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Me? I'm just a lawnmower. You can tell by the way I walk.....

Winger, that's the best reason yet for getting an iPod Thumbs Up
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #5622658th Dec 2009 10:12 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Can't be doing with iPods....USB drive for me.

Post #5622698th Dec 2009 10:15 pm
disco_steve

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Arctic FrostDiscovery 3

One thing I did notice while strumming in the lounge area of the dealer when my D3 HSe was last in (for a bluetooth upgrade) and drooling at the shiny new D4 HSe that was in the showroom was the 'plushness' of the interior, the leather seats are very soft, the carpet was very deep pile, the trim was very up market looking, all so much so that when I collected my paultry D3 I made comment about my 'observations' saying "It's NOT very off road friendly anymore is it?"

he service manager remarked "It's not meant to be sir, LR don't really want the D4 and RRS portrayed in that area anymore, if you want to go off road, you should buy a Defender - 'sir' "

I was taken aback by this comment, surely the Discovery and RRS are class leading off road vehicles, if I wanted a plush soft roader with a mickey mouse electronic 4x4 system, I'd go and buy a Audi Q7, or a BMW X5, or a Volvo XC etc etc etc

And before I get hung drawn and diced buy any Q7, or X5 owners, I say that in in jest, as I'm sure they are quite capable for what they are designed for, but . . . . LANDROVERS are different, they (hopefully) always will be the No 1 on/off road 4x4 - it's in their blood (or is that oil?)

Defenders are a utility vehicle, in a different class to teh D3/4 and RRS and even the RR

Over to you guys !!!
 Never get mad - get even !!

06 D3 now gone to family member and still going strong at 265k

previous vehicles:
04 D2 TD5 - (clocked 189k from new)
52 X-Trail 2.2 SVE
various euro boxes ! 

Post #5622718th Dec 2009 10:20 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Winger
Site Moderator 

You should see the state of mine......and it's not very old.

Post #5622748th Dec 2009 10:23 pm
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

D4's are just as good as D3's offroad (with the possible exception of wheel sizes). If you worry about the possible dirt on the "plush" interior then just put in some seat covers and rubber mats. Personally I follow LR's moto of "Life is for living and not for worrying about some mud on your seats" and just get on with it. Razz
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #5623048th Dec 2009 10:55 pm
Spikey

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I have to say my kids have really enjoyed the headphone sockets feature. They can listen to stories while we have the radio on, or just chat.

Winger, I though the Hybrid TV was standard on D3 HSE (not rear screens, just integrated into the SatNav screen).

I've also realised the full size spare wheel is now an extra too...

I do agree with the comments on the leather etc, it all feels very 'tactile' and the steering wheel grip is nice too.

Post #5623459th Dec 2009 6:54 am
Winger
Site Moderator 

TV wasn't standard on my D3 HSE................ Confused

Post #5623559th Dec 2009 8:16 am
Shrinky

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

The TV was a £500 option on mine (MY2008) but I think it was standard after that but you lost a couple of other things like the center cooler box.

As for the rear audio controls. I thought it would be great for my 3 kids but the reality of it is they dont use them or if they have one of them keeps complaining that the other one is changing the channels.
 Global Warming.... I'm luvvin it  
Post #5624159th Dec 2009 11:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >