Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D3 HSE vs D4 XS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I don't have arm rests on my GS, but have been given a courtesy HSE Freelander 2 with arm rests, now I am not the smallest guy in the world but what a pain in the Censored they are, catch your coat, in the way with the seat belt and restrict access to the handbrake (normal on FL's). Another thing I miss is the space I have in the dash as I have no screen, the FL has the screen and it is nothing but a pain, slow and not half as good as a garmin in my opinion. So I am jolly glad I didn't get the arm rests and screen, you will no doubt feel the benefit as well.

Oh! and another thing, those beepers in the bumpers, they drive me CRAZY, I only have the rear in mine, but with the front as well in the HSE FL it just all kicks off in the car, again with the sunroofs, what is all that about, all so unnecessary, too much namby pamby girlie nonsense in the HSE for me, I guess Land Rover have realised that and cut it out. I have a Land Rover to drive, not ponce about in Laughing

Post #5949551st Feb 2010 7:00 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds just like a man who could'nt afford a better spec Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #5949601st Feb 2010 7:02 pm
Discotres

How did you guess? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter At least I have the change between the two in the bank to get more cakes and biscuits, maybe a RR next, they are wider Laughing

Post #5949631st Feb 2010 7:05 pm
MacLeod 313

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I can only wish for a FFRR............................downgrading to a New/Nearly new Defender. 3 lined up for viewing Friday

Post #5949641st Feb 2010 7:06 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Off Topic Evil or Very Mad

Post #5949671st Feb 2010 7:07 pm
mwestcrew

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Hmmmm yes! All that space taken up by the screen, the total incovenience of having to fold up an armrest, all that glass above your head making the car feel airey and less claustophobic......I'm off to have all those namby pamby features removed at once Laughing
 2011 D4 Landmark, Mini Cooper SD Clubman, Range Rover Vogue SE  
Post #5949681st Feb 2010 7:07 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discotres

I have just come from a new defender so you will see how a base 09 GS is luxury to me, mind you the right arm/shoulder issue in the Defender has been there forever. The Defender is too utilitarian, especially with kids and a baby. Very happy with the Disco GS, have been looking at the RR, but THAT is poncy, I could update my Disco every 3 years for a while on the price difference. I am just also worried after having my Limp problem what else could go wrong, the more toys the more likely it is something will go wrong. The Disco is just used as a school bus doing very limited miles, don't go anywhere posh in it or they think you are the caterer, use other cars for that Laughing

Post #5949731st Feb 2010 7:12 pm
SN

fortunately for you the limp problem doesn't seem to have affected your index finger on the left mouse button Whistle

be happy with what you've got ... as I am ... happy with proper leather, electric seats, arm rests, premium ICE with 6CD interchanger and 11 (or whatever) speakers, sat nav(and TV) screen with 2 inch ledge in front of it (or use the space in front of gear lever instead) and front/rear PDC - which is easy to work because that's what the PDC button is for Thumbs Up

As for SE vs HSE - I have the HSE sound system and 19" wheels now. I'm not bothered about not having a sunroof. Or xenon's or Off Road Nav (both which I could retro fit)
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #5949871st Feb 2010 7:27 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Discotres

I was just trying to show those who seem to be losing features in their new 4 that they had in their 3 HSE that it is not all bad Razz

Post #5949901st Feb 2010 7:30 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

Discotres wrote:
I was just trying to show those who seem to be losing features in their new 4 that they had in their 3 HSE that it is not all bad Razz

Not very successfully, other than more piffle.

It is widely agreed that the XS and the HSE are a long way apart. I have no doubt LR will introduce something in the middle, or add some bits to the XS (and jack up the price too!). If you move from the D3HSE to the D4 XS, it is a big step down. That is not the case from the D3 to D4HSE.

Post #5949941st Feb 2010 7:37 pm
Davro

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Discotres wrote:

Which was the reason why I asked the question, now that people have had an opportunity to live day to day with their D4 I was interested to hear their thoughts. Especially as it looks like some of the more obvious differences are actually easier to live with than some of the minor ones.

e.g. for me I would quite like to try a D3/D4 without the glass roof, but have very much got used to having the arm rests !.

Post #5949951st Feb 2010 7:38 pm
SazzaG

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4

You mean I've just spent 45k on a car that doesn't have armrests? Big Cry

Hey ho, I still can't justify the HSE price. A small cushion will do the job on long journeys!

Post #5949971st Feb 2010 7:41 pm
Winger
Site Moderator 

I regard the roof as something I could do without also.....but it is there. I'd rather have dual sunroofs, to be honest.

Post #5949981st Feb 2010 7:41 pm
Davro

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Winger wrote:
Discotres wrote:

Not very successfully, other than more piffle.

It is widely agreed that the XS and the HSE are a long way apart. I have no doubt LR will introduce something in the middle, or add some bits to the XS (and jack up the price too!). If you move from the D3HSE to the D4 XS, it is a big step down. That is not the case from the D3 to D4HSE.

Not quite understanding the "piffle" comment, maybe there is somthing going on that I am missing. I am grateful for ALL the comments people have contributed and it has helped me towards making the decision, so Thanks to all and let's move on.

Post #5950011st Feb 2010 7:43 pm
ozd4

Australia 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Davro wrote:
[Not quite understanding the "piffle" comment, maybe there is somthing going on that I am missing. I am grateful for ALL the comments people have contributed and it has helped me towards making the decision, so Thanks to all and let's move on.

But what is your decision, you just can't leave me in suspense like that
Cheers Laughing

Post #5950961st Feb 2010 9:07 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >