Post #198527221st Sep 2018 2:44 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry

Post #198528421st Sep 2018 3:30 pm
Revoke

United Kingdom 

This may be useful, maybe not, disregard as appropriate.

I gather there's a "known" problem with rotating bearing shells on the V6 3.0L that spells disaster for affected engines. I don't believe that there's been a recall as yet, but willing to be corrected. On the assumption that there hasn't been a general recall, the following is definitely of interest...

The South Korean government has just told JLR to issue a recall on 16,000 vehicles: XJ, XF, RR, RRS and D4. The only connection I know of is they all come with the V6 diesel. The major news agencies haven't got the story but it is definitely out there.

http://www.thestandard.com.hk/breaking-new...&sid=2

"Jaguar Land Rover Korea will voluntarily recall 16,022 vehicles to repair faulty parts, the transport ministry said today.

The ministry said the Indian-owned British carmaker's recall plan will start on October 29 and cover five different models that will be checked by mechanics, the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport said in a statement, Yonhap reports.

The five models -- the Jaguar XF sedan, Jaguar XJ sedan, Discovery 4, Range Rover and Range Rover Sports sport utility vehicles -- have been found to have faulty diesel engine crankshafts that could catch fire and cause power shutdowns while the car is being driven, the statement said."

One reading might be that the South Korean government takes less cr@p from car manufacturers than ours does.

Post #19899718th Oct 2018 12:55 pm
Revoke

United Kingdom 

Thank's to Google Translate the world is a VERY small place these days:

https://www.jaguarkorea.co.kr/jaguar-recall-announcement.html

Quote:

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience and inconvenience to our customers.

Jaguar Land Rover Korea has been investigating possible flaws in the diesel 3.0 TDV6 engine used in some models from 2016 to 2016 with the Ministry of Land, Transport and Tourism in November 2017.

We have been working diligently and actively on all inquiry processes including data submission and field investigation in close cooperation with our UK headquarters for quick and accurate investigation. We have decided to voluntarily recall the defects as the manufacturer responsible for them.

This recall is based on the fault diagnosis that determines the possibility of future product defects due to misalignment of the engine bearings and the crankshaft gap, and the repair of the vehicle, which is determined to be defective in the fault diagnosis process, It will proceed from the 29th.

Details on the consultation and recall actions for defect diagnosis are available on the Jaguar Land Rover recall counseling number (080-894-1000) from October 8th.

Car booking reservations for defect diagnostics can be made through the National Jaguar Land Rover Service Center and the Jaguar Land Rover Recall Consultation Number (080-894-1000) from October 22nd.

Jaguar Land Rover Korea will do its best to minimize the inconvenience of customers and to finish this recall as soon as possible.

All employees of Jaguar Land Rover Korea Co., Ltd.

service information
- Recall counseling center (080-894-1000)
- Jaguar Land Rover Service Center

How would you diagnose this problem without taking the oil pan off?

Post #19899948th Oct 2018 2:15 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I’m not sure you could even with the sump off!

Post #19900258th Oct 2018 3:27 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I’m sure the fact JLR have said it’s a problem is enough for them to force the recall.

Not sure what they are going to do though. They haven’t changed the design have they?

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #19901408th Oct 2018 8:03 pm
Revoke

United Kingdom 

https://www.jaguarkorea.co.kr/index.html

Run that web page through translate.google.com to find out more. Here's a couple of relevant bits from the FAQ:

Q 3-1. What are the costs of diagnosing and recalling faults?
The Jaguar Land Rover will cover all costs of diagnosing and repairing the recall.

Q 3-2. What services are supported during the diagnosis and repair of recall faults?
In order to minimize customer inconvenience, we are fully prepared to cooperate with retailers such as pick-up / delivery, bills and transportation support, and vehicle transportation.

1) In case of defect diagnosis, customer should provide consignment service on request. To do this, you must request a consignment service when making reservation through Jaguar Land Rover Official Service Center or Jaguar Land Rover Recall Consultation Telephone.

2) If the vehicle is determined to require replacement of the engine through fault diagnosis, we will support the customer who does not want to operate the vehicle from the fault diagnosis day to the repair completion date. During the waiting period from the date of fault diagnosis to the date of goods receipt for engine replacement, we will keep your vehicle free of charge.

3) For the engine replacement, we will provide the transportation service to the engine repairable center. After the engine replacement is completed, we will send the vehicle to you using the consignment service.

Q 3-3. How long does it take to diagnose faults and replace the engine?
Except for waiting time, it usually takes about 1 hour for fault diagnosis and about 3 days for engine replacement.
Free bills are available during the engine replacement period, and a free consignment service is available for fault diagnosis and engine replacement.

Q 3-4. Are there any disruptions to existing regular services due to fault diagnosis and recall?
26 service centers nationwide have staffed facilities to expand service hours every day, including weekends, and to designate recall-specific workbays and personnel to conduct fast vehicle inspections.

In addition, if you make a reservation through the official service center or recall call center prior to the diagnosis of defects, you can receive a free consignment service.

In addition to the recall, we are also working on overtime to inspect basic services to minimize the inconvenience of customers. In order to improve customer service, Jaguar Land Rover will add service centers in Ulsan, Incheon, Pangyo, Uijeongbu, Cheongju, Daejeon and Busan in 2018 and expand the Ilsan Service Center to increase the number of workplaces by more than 37% The expected.

In addition, we will increase our maintenance manpower by 50%, strengthen our maintenance manpower training, and plan to have more than 50 master technicians by the end of this year.

Post #19901588th Oct 2018 8:51 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

How do I amend my response as the engine on my 2016 Discovery 4 has now failed catastrophically.

it required a new engine which was fortunately fitted by LR under the manufacturers warranty.

The car was around two and a half years old and travelled just over 20 thousand miles.

Post #200250120th Nov 2018 8:37 pm
Washwipe

England 

With mine being of similar age and mileage I Was planning on taking out a WD warranty in four months time, now I’m hearing that WD seem to be fitting recon units and not using LR dealers I think come the end of March mine goes. Sad

Post #200347124th Nov 2018 4:08 pm
Peakwayfarer

England 

I had a similar plan, WD warranty at end of manufacturer one, and was looking to keep the D4 for at least 5 years, but after the catastrophic engine failure with little or no warning at just over 20k miles it has now gone.
Fortunately it was a warm sunny day and the motorway was quiet, when it failed, but it knocked my confidence in the car, and even with a new engine, every bump knock change in road surface was a what's that moment, so it's very sadly now gone, whilst some of the manufacturers warranty was still remaining.
Another failure could potentially leave one seriously out of pocket, so I spoke with Land Rover customer services about this scenario and although very helpful all they would say is that in the unlikely event of it happening again they would look at a goodwill claim and if I had a LR extended warranty they would look favourably at a goodwill claim.
Sorry, but not good enough and although the risk is probably small the cost is very high, so we are now land rover less after best part of 25 years with one, starting with a couple of classic RR, a freelander and then the 2016 landmark. (Should have kept the freelander!)

Post #200347224th Nov 2018 4:30 pm
Washwipe

England 

Similar here, LR for eighteeen years, Discovery 2, two Freelander 2’s, on our second D4, this one was supposed to be a keeper, that was the plan but it’s getting to the stage where every time you go out and your out of the genuine LR warranty you run the risk of doing 16k out of pocket, I’m not comfortable with a garage recon, so it’s another owner jumping ship.

Post #200350624th Nov 2018 6:33 pm
SimSamSeven

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Of the responders, this shows a 15% Crank Failure. Surely that needs publicity?

Post #200379926th Nov 2018 7:23 am
3disco

Most owners are to afraid of saying it’s not failed as sure as eggs are eggs it will. Big Cry

Post #200403227th Nov 2018 10:44 am
Peakwayfarer

England 

Mine did at just over 20k miles before the engine failed catastrophically, and have not found out how to update the survey, wonder how many others are the same?

So the survey figures are not accurate, although I suspect as previously suggested a lot of owners with good engines have not submitted a response.

Anyway new engine fitted by LR, but confidence in product gone, plus potential risk of loosing all the equity if it fails again, not to mention the potential of it failing in a dangerous/ hazardous location, so collected from dealer, drove it home, washed it and part exchanged it for an X5!

Already missing the Disco, it was the best and my favourite all round vehicle that I have ever owned, a Saab 95 estate came a close second - the Saab did well over 100k miles on a its 3 litre diesel and never missed a beat.

I will maybe return to the LR fold one day, as I still like the product, but only if and when they sort their problems and don’t just advise it would be a goodwill claim or if under the LR extended warranty a favourable goodwill claim. However that could be anything from a 100% payout to substantially less, and I am not prepared to take that risk. So for now it’s unfortunately German or Japanese for me, although nothing ticks as many boxes as the Disco 4 or the Range Rover did

Post #200404327th Nov 2018 12:19 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 6 of 10 <12345678910>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >