Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3 vs RRS - my view after owning both
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

One thing I forgot to add......

Brakes - While the brakes on the D3 are good once they start to bite, they do scare me sometimes because the reduction in speed isn't uniform. i.e. they're slow to reduce the speed, then speed reduced rapidly.
They are much better in the RRS - may be due to the slightly less weight.

My D3 has now done 3,600 miles and I'm still not used to the brakes. I must stop approaching things too fast!
 Matt  
Post #6124031st May 2006 8:13 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Not against that kind of thing at all VA, I like it also, but there are a few RRS owners who do seem really anti D3.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6124131st May 2006 8:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed

England 

Give me their names and I'll break their legs! Wink
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #6124331st May 2006 8:21 am
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Shocked Shocked Shocked Now I know where you get your ebay ID from Shocked Shocked
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6124431st May 2006 8:24 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Good post Matt, we went for the D3 for much the same reasons. Handling wasn't a big issue as I wouldn't buy any proper 4x4 for it's on road handling.
Some interesting comments on "image" & "class", IMO the RRS gives out the "Footballers Wives", bling etc. image. Nothing wrong with that, if that's your thing & I really like the looks of the RRS.
The D3 however seems to have almost a classless & neutral image, due I believe to it's "plainer" styling & Land Rover badging. I've taken mine to rat hunts, where it sits happily in a field with all the country folks Defenders, older Disco's & assorted Jap. 4x4's, only looking at little out of place because it's so new. In c.5 years time, the D3 will be owned by these folks, whereas the RR & RRS will always be too "posh" & inpractical for them.
Cleaned up & chauffer driven, the D3 would also be at home ferrying the Royal family around Badminton Horse Trials or parked outside a grand London hotel.
I personally care nothing about image or badge snobbery, I buy a vehicle for it's "fitness for purpose", the D3 being more suitable for our needs than either the RR or the RRS.

Post #6127631st May 2006 1:43 pm
Renny

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 4

I agree with the sentiment of a good comparison between them. As owner of a Disco II, we initiall thought the D3 was too big, looked "wrong" without the spare wheel on the back and too expensive. So we waited on the RRS as we thought it would suit our needs to carry us, our kit and two hounds (Pointers).

Like the styling of the RRS, but the lack of storage space has put us off. The boot floor is too high, the roof too low and the tailgate slope all conspire to rob boot space. I finally got a half decent test of a D3 a few months ago, after a couple of aborted attempts, one which left us stranded on the motorway hard shoulder about 1.5 miles from the dealership, and really enjoyed it. The size wasn't a problem, the increased space was amazing and the fuel consumption of the TDV6 is noticably better than the TD5, it handled well, was very quiet inside and has sold us on one. (In fact I think my feedback was one of the factors that convinced JMC to buy his commercial D3).

Now we're just waiting to see how much our house extension is going to cost to decide when to change the Disco II to a D3.
 Renny Thomson
aka Scottish Scrutineer or MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer 

Post #613901st Jun 2006 8:33 am
JMC

Scotland 

Quote:
In fact I think my feedback was one of the factors that convinced JMC to buy his commercial D3.

Renny, you know me better than that.... I'm always basing my descisions on my own selfish thought - never heeding what others say... Wink

Quote:
Now we're just waiting to see how much our house extension is going to cost to decide when to change the Disco II to a D3.

You've got the priorities all wrong mate. Should get the D3 first and then think about the house. You have only got one life you know.... Laughing

Post #613981st Jun 2006 9:34 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Renny, don't find out how much the extension will cost until U have replaced the D2 with D3. Thumbs Up Then deed can not be undone.
We are planning extension in next couple of years but replaced wife's D2 for D3 anyway, will delay extension if necessary.
Milestone

Post #613991st Jun 2006 10:04 am
d3matt

LT wrote:
I personally care nothing about image or badge snobbery, I buy a vehicle for it's "fitness for purpose", the D3 being more suitable for our needs than either the RR or the RRS.

I would like to think that badge snopper wasn't important, but then if that was the case, I would of brought a Toyota Land Cruiser, as they're utterly reliable.
In the past, I've always owned Merc, BMW, Audi & Volvo, so I'm a sucker for badge snobbery. Until the D3 and RRS came out, I would of never even considered buying a LR, due to their poor reliability and build quality. It was the D3 styling that first won be over. Then had a good look at the quality of the D3 and was impressed what Ford had done with LR. Now I'm converted and a big fan of anything LR.

I also had good look at the Kia Sorrento too a year ago before we brought the RRS. They are a fine looking 4x4 and I think they beat most other premium 4x4s for looks. It was only the engine noise (on the diesel auto) that put me off. Otherwise I would of brought one. Excellent cars for the money and worth many thousands more. Easily a match for any Jap 4x4.
 Matt  
Post #615832nd Jun 2006 12:39 am
d3matt

Today I changed my 19" wheels for a set of 17", ready for the Rockingham weekend. My god, what a difference in the drive. It almost made me feel travel sick. It now wobbles about and leans on the corners and feels more like my friends SE did (with 18" wheels).
I can now see why some of the RRS owners were disagreeing with my comparisons with the RRS. If they had driven a D3 with 17" or 18" wheels, then yes it does definately handle much worse than a RRS. However, with the 19" wheels, it is a match. I couldn't beleive a couple of inches makes so much difference.
My wife's been telling me this for years!
 Matt  
Post #629669th Jun 2006 11:13 pm
blue meanie
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

is this the 'cortina effect' ? Shocked
 and theeeeennn......???  
Post #629719th Jun 2006 11:23 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Thats odd, I have also got 17's on at the moment, and did not notice much difference Confused

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough Wink

Post #629739th Jun 2006 11:29 pm
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Did you check the tyre pressures Matt? I've run with 17", 18" & 19" and not really noticed any difference though admittedly the 17" and 19" were both on mud terrains which give a slightly different ride anyway
 The End  
Post #629789th Jun 2006 11:36 pm
nwoods

United States 2005 LR3 4.0 V6 Petrol Base 5 Seat Auto Chawton WhiteLR3

That's a great summary DMatt. I lusted after the RRS, but the base spec RRS is quite a bit more expensive in the USA then the Disco3, so I "defaulted" to the LR3 due to ecconomics.

Having made that purchase, every day I love it more and do not regret it at all. I too like the cockpit of the RRS, but the infinately more practicle LR3 is faultlessly useful and I love "using" it to it's fullest.

Regarding it's somewhat invisible looks, you can fix that by dressing it up a bit. More serious tires and a rear ladder go a LONG way towards beefing up the look of this truck.

http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?cat=18

Cheers,

Nathan Woods

Post #6300010th Jun 2006 5:33 am
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Another difference that I have noticed is that on RRSport.co.uk the important topics are what exhaust pipe end looks the best and which wheels are the largest useable. On Disco3 the chat is about how to avoid the stock exhaust hitting the ground offroad and which tyres achieve best grip.

Different vehicles, different owners, = different priorities ........ Laughing
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #6300910th Jun 2006 8:06 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >