Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D3 vs RRS - my view after owning both
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
d3matt

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
D3 vs RRS - my view after owning both

I’ve owned a Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE auto for 10 months and covered just over 20,000 miles in it. A month ago I changed it for a new Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE auto and have already done over 3,000 miles in this. This is my view of the comparisons between the two.

Nearly 18 months ago, I test drove the D3 but then when specifying what I wanted, I was told about the forthcoming diesel RRS and as the price wasn’t much more than a high spec D3, I decided to stick with the Merc ML and wait for the RRS to come out. I was very happy with the RRS, but I changed it due to also selling my VW T5 van and needed something that did both jobs - luxury family car and load carrier for work. At this stage, I didn’t test drive the D3 again, apart from a quick drive in a friends six month old SE.

The comparisons….

Ride - The big surprise between the two vehicles is the ride quality. The D3 is softer and it makes it *much* more comfortable on the rough country roads and normal driving.
I was expecting the D3 to sway in the bends a bit, but it is just as good as the RRS. Mine is also much better than my friends SE. I don’t know if there are any suspension tweaks on the later models, but I can’t see that this handling improvement is solely down to the 1” larger wheels.
Overall, I can say that the new D3 HSE is more comfortable and handles as well when pushing it through the bends as my previous RRS. I also think the D3 is slightly quieter than the RRS too, suffering from less wind noise around the windscreen and pillars.

Interior – While both cars shares all the same switch gear and components, the cockpit in the RRS is far superior. I did like the way the centre console is raised to cocoon the driver in the RRS. However, in the D3 you do have much more space, more pockets and the extra in dash power socket is very handy. I do miss the cherry wood in the RRS though. In the D3 there is too much plastic (although it all seems high quality) and it needs some different materials to break up the dash and console.

Seats – The RRS front seats are better. They’re more supportive and sculptured. In the D3 the seats are flatter and slightly slab like, however, this doesn’t seem to make them less comfortable and now I've got used to them they are fine. The RRS rear seat was a poor design with headrests that had to be pulled up when passengers sat in the seats. The D3 rear seating is well designed with each seat folding separately and very quick and easy to fold flat into the floor.

Space/practicality– Well, the D3 wins here hands down. I know the two vehicles are targeting different markets and you shouldn’t really be comparing boot sizes and practicality, but the D3 does everything better here. While the D3 isn’t that much larger on the outside, the interior space is vastly different and I find it a much better vehicle to spend time in, especially when you have passengers. The extra head room, especially for rear passengers, is much better. I did like the slightly cramp, cocoon type design of the RRS, but now I’ve got used to the feeling of space in the D3, I wouldn’t want to go back.
Two things that let the RRS down were the rear seats not folding flat and the awful split hatch that was heavy to open, difficult to shut and sounded like you’d broken it every time you shut it!. The D3 boot is massive and with seats that fold flat, the load capacity is vast. The rear hatch is soooo much better than the RRS and much easier to put the shopping in and unlike the RRS, you don’t end up with dirty trousers when leaning into the load bay.

Looks – I love the look of the D3 – it’s bold and a great piece of design. The RRS is more conventional and typically Range Rover (well P38 anyway). In the D3, no one gives you a second look, not even other D3 drivers! Yet in the RRS, we got plenty of looks and pointing and it was quite a conversation maker. I suppose much of this is because we got ours when they first came out. Because of the reaction the RRS got, you felt like you were driving something special and that gives you a great feeling. It also helps to justify the £44K price tag. The top spec D3 costs the same, but most people thing it is a £25K car. I suppose that may have some benefits too.

Toys – For your pound you get more toys on the D3 than you do in the RRS. I went for an HSE spec D3, so I got a few more toys than I had in the RRS. However, a SE spec D3 still has more toys than a SE spec RRS. Memory seats are handy, the Bluetooth phone is brilliant as are the adaptive headlights.
I wish you could have adaptive cruise control on the D3 (not that I had it on the RRS either).

Overall - When spending £44K and putting a D3 and a RRS next to each other, the D3 does seem to make more sence. It does everything the RRS does and more. The lower spec, cheaper D3s make even more sence. After driving our friends SE spec D3, the handling was noticeable better in the RRS, yet this isn’t the case with my new HSE. With the softer suspension in the D3, pot holes and bumps in the road are absorbed much better and overall, I’d much rather be driving a D3 now. The seven seats, load capacity, load space, passenger space and vastly better tailgate make the D3 a winner for me.
There is really only one thing I miss from the RRS – the looks. When I see RRS on the road now, they do look nice and have a look of prestige about them. The D3 looks great, but portrays an image of ‘family man’ or ‘wife on school run’. But then this is down to personal taste and some will say that the RRS portrays an image of “bling” or “footballer’s wife”.

I’m glad I’ve started with an RRS and then got the D3. Otherwise I would have always craved for a RRS thinking they were better – but in fact they’re not.
 Matt  
Post #6106130th May 2006 1:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kieron

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Brilliant review. I did always wonder about a RRS but decided from the start I needed the extra space so didnt even go for a test drive so as not to make the decision even more difficult. I do agree that the RRS has a different feel of class to it but then that was never an important factor. Great to hear you are happy with your new D3. My HSE is 3 months old tomorrow and I still love and enjoy every journey in it, they are great cars Smile
 I don't dance but I do Disco  
Post #6106630th May 2006 4:56 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Smarticus

2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

We have a D3 and an RRS in the family. For vehicles that share so much, it is surprising how different the experience of owning them actually is. As i have said before, it is all about Form & Function. The vehicles both have lots of each of these characteristics, but in quite different proportions.

I have grown to really love the RRS, but we would miss the D3 more.
 Disco 4 TDV6HSE
Defender 200TDi CSW
RR Evoque 

Post #6107830th May 2006 8:22 am
Pelyma

England 

Very interesting, I would say though that having owned a D3 since early on they did raise lots of comments and looks (good and bad) but now people are used to them.
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #6108230th May 2006 8:43 am
d3matt

Also, on the point of what reactions the two cars get....and talking from someone who does the school run in their 4x4....the D3 seems to get more anti-4x4 comment than the RRS did. I suppose the D3 is more of an iconic 4x4 and is used by the media whenever this subject is raised.
 Matt  
Post #6108830th May 2006 9:28 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Excellent review, esp considering the time when it was submitted. Was too busy snoring at that time!

Derek

Post #6109630th May 2006 10:09 am
zebadee

Ireland 

Excellent review “d3matt” !

I’m going the other way, with my RRS due in the next few weeks. It will be quite a change for me, as I’ve driven nothing but Discoverys since 1993 !!

If all you D3’rs don’t disown me & are willing to humour me, I’ll post a reverse review in a few months, once I’ve had a chance to settle into the Sport.

Although if it’s any consolation, I still have a 1995 TDi which I’ve owned since new & will never sell.

So at heart, I’m still a Disco Man. 8)

Post #6110130th May 2006 11:11 am
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Great review Matt Thumbs Up

Despite the 'friendly' banter we have with our pals on rrsport, I really like the Sport, in fact I was torn between the two at changeover time. The overiding factor for me was practicality and thats where the D3 is tops Very Happy
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6110230th May 2006 11:11 am
SN

A nice fair-handed review there Matt.

It would be interesting to here some RRS owners' views
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #6111030th May 2006 12:33 pm
d3matt

qzdcg8 wrote:
A nice fair-handed review there Matt.

It would be interesting to here some RRS owners' views

Can be seen at http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2697
 Matt  
Post #6112830th May 2006 1:22 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

They are not happy bunnies on www.RRSport.co.uk today! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Post #6113330th May 2006 2:01 pm
Very Annoyed

England 

We all know that the banter knocking the RRS and D3 is just that - banter. Both cars are top of their game but each has their own plus points. Without being negative the D3 comes into it's own as a bit more of a work vehicle (and I mean this as a positive point) The RRS is more what you call a SUV (hate that term) The majority of them will never see mud but they do look good and of course the Supercharged version is a bit of fun. As for their engineering, their technology is basically the same and I love them both!
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #6113530th May 2006 2:07 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

MMmmmm No mention of a 'Troll' in there VA Laughing
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #6113630th May 2006 2:10 pm
Cliff H

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

An excellent post Matt Thumbs Up

Still amazes me the reaction of some of the RRS owners Shocked (apart from VA who we know loves the D3 really Wink )
They are both obviously going to be great cars, they are virtually made from the same bits after all.
Everyone buys the car that they need, for many D3 owners it is the space and versatility with RRS owners it is the look and RR badge.

Each to their own, lets stop the slagging off, enjoy our cars ( I certainly do) and share our experiences and tips to make ownership of the cars even better.
 Zermatt silver 06 reg.

Gone but not forgotten !!! 

Post #6123731st May 2006 7:57 am
Very Annoyed

England 

Cliff - I quite like the bashing we give each other Shocked Some of the pictures that get produced are very funny - as long as we all know they're done in jest I can't see the harm. A simple emoticon at the end keeps things calm Wink
 Loving the power of the TDV8!  
Post #6123831st May 2006 8:12 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >